Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 10-19-2013, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: Honda
Cool Few basic questions, ordering first BMW

Dear BMW enthusiasts and Yedis, I hope not to be too annoying, but I have not found a sticky that has the answers I need (maybe I am blind or not looking in the right place )

Please point me to the right direction instead of answering.

1) How is the process to order a new custom BMW? You customize it in BMWUSA and then take that to the dealer? Or you just go straight to the dealer?

2) If you are trading in your current car, do you have to do it right away or the trade-in happens when you receive the new BMW?

3) After negotiating finance with the dealer, you just pay to order it (I believe it is $1,000 to order, is that right and does this money counts for the payment of the car?), or do you have to provide the down payment when ordering? I don't think that's the case but wanted to double-check with you guys.

4) About the extended maintenance warranty for two extra years, how many of you get it while buying the car? I plan to keep this car for a long time (more than 6 years, since it will only be a weekend car). I think it is cheaper getting it when you buy it (about $2,000 on the bmwusa website). Also, can you keep extending the warranty for more than six years?

That's all for now. I appreciate your help on this, cheers!
Ads by Google
Old 11-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Unhappy

help anyone?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Here's 5 steps to buying a car.

1. Know what you want.
Research to find the exact vehicle you want, with the exact options you want.
Don't leave any free choice options out. Ex: If you have a choice of rim, or trim, then select it.
Visit sites like bmwconfig.com to build spec your car.

2. Go test drive it.
This will be your first out of 2 trips to the dealership.
If Step 2 fails, go back to Step 1.

3. Figure out the price what you want to pay.
Find invoice pricing on your car and all the options. You decide what you will pay. Not the dealer. Offer $500-$1000 over invoice. or 2-5% over.
Of course this will depend on the market, and type of car you are buying, but still, figure out what you want to pay.

4. Email all the dealers in your area/region your offer along with your car/options. Attach an excel spreadsheet, showing the math. Include Freight charges, taxes, everything.

5. Sit back with a cold beer and wait for responses to come in.
Once you get an offer that you are happy with then take it.
Sign the paper, give a deposit, and wait for your car to arrive.
Once its in about 8-10 weeks later, go pick up the keys. This should be the 2nd and last time you need to visit the dealer before you take delivery.
If you have a trade in, deal that when you take the keys, not before.

Good luck!
Enjoy the process!

Last edited by stonex1; 11-03-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
I've ordered 4 new BMWs and this was the process I followed:

1. I set up what I wanted on the BMW on line configurator and then did the test drive - especially to decide between Sport Package and standard. Although all my Bimmers are MT, it is often difficult to find one to test drive, but I've yet to be disappointed with a BMW tranny or clutch.

2. I then would have the trade-in appraised as part of the deal. As the price will be good for a limited period of time, I also obtain an offer from CarMax which can be used as a further negotiating tool. If you decide to trade, the dealer will probably only offer the trade-in price for about 30 days so be prepared to turn in the trade before delivery of the new car (this also provides a brief window to try to sell it privately). As I have always had another vehicle to drive, turning in my old car has worked for me, but may be an issue for you. In many states, one only pays sales tax on the difference between the new car and the trade, so this should be factored into your decision.

3. My dealer has always accepted a $1,000 deposit which is applied to the down payment.

4. I tend to avoid extended warranties, and certainly would not consider extended maintenance.

Good luck on your purchase.
Tom
Old 11-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
This is the BMW configurator link mentioned in another reply.

http://www.bmwconfig.com/BmwConfig/C...5-5920ffa00483

Jim Mannheimer BMW of Salem Oregon has quite a few customers from the Seattle area. Give him a phone call at the main phone number(He is in the process of changing his email address) he is a board sponsor and good guy to work with.

http://garage.bimmerfest.com/siteSpo...onsor&SpCId=80

Here is a link to check out the European delivery. You can save enough on your BMW purchase to pay for a European vacation.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Default.aspx

To find European delivery invoice price. Go to the top right of page on the BMW configurator and change: U.S.A. Port of entry to Euro Delivery Munich Pick UP. $500 to $1000 over invoice depending on the BMW you buy.

Last edited by Norm37; 11-03-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 PM

Smile Thanks!!!

Stonex1, Tom K., Norm37,

Many thanks for your great advise. I really appreciate it.

It will be a bit tricky since I am going to get the 428i convertible. So it's not available for test drive yet. I have tested the 2013 and I love it. I wanted to get the 2013 but I was too late to order it in the website since production stop a while ago. I checked all the available 3 series convertibles in my area (new and CPO) and none of them have exactly what I want (some missing Nav, some having a leather color I don't like, etc). This car is very hard to find!

So my only option was the 4 series convertible, the good thing is that I love it, I thought the change would be more radical but I still like it and like the fact that it comes with more goodies (increase trunk space almost like an Accord with top up, all those cameras, safer, lower to the ground...) than the 3 series.

I just need some patience to wait for this car to be available. Some folks are saying it will be on sale in December and some that it will be sometime in the first quarter of next year. But I will follow your advise for sure.

Thanks again, cheers!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponylion View Post
Stonex1, Tom K., Norm37,

So my only option was the 4 series convertible, the good thing is that I love it, I thought the change would be more radical but I still like it and like the fact that it comes with more goodies (increase trunk space almost like an Accord with top up, all those cameras, safer, lower to the ground...) than the 3 series.
A major difference would seem to be the 4 cyl. turbo in the 428i vs. the I6 in the current 328i drop top. Have you driven the new 328i in an F30 sedan to compare the motors? More hp & torque in the 428i, but there is something about the smoothness of BMW's normally aspirated I6.

At any rate, happy hunting & enjoy your new ride when it arrives!

Tom
Old 11-04-2013, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
Re: Few basic questions, ordering first BMW

+1 to test drive v4 vs I6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using BimmerApp mobile app

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013
Old 11-04-2013, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
Re: Few basic questions, ordering first BMW

To answer your questions:

1. Read wiki on fest of how to order - that will help you understand many things.

2. Others have already answered your question about trading in.

3. From what I know, when you order you don't have to pay anything. But first payment has to be made 1 week before you pick up your car in Munich - and this is only for European Delivery. I don't know how ordering at dealership works.

4. I plan to keep my car too, but have heard you can get cheaper and better plans aftermarket...

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using BimmerApp mobile app

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013
Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330 Ci ZHP
Since you have to wait anyway you could continue your search for a late model convertible. It took me about 18 months to find the E46 I wanted. It was in excellent condition and I paid less than half of what it cost new (a little less than 4 years old).