Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 06-14-2013, 04:25 PM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
"Special Orders" - Do they exist?

I was curious how difficult (if possible at all) it would be to get a configuration on the car that is not available under normal circumstances.

Once I order my 535d, I'd love to get the 4-Zone climate-option and the Anthracite Headliner on my order. The good thing is that both options are available on US configured cars but the bad is that you can't just order them on a 535d Luxury Line.

So if cars are built on the same manufacturing line that come with these features, how difficult is it to get this minor features after all?

I know that a member recently managed to "convince" somebody from BMW to get him the 4-Zone A/C.

So it seems the order guide is not generally the "Holy Bible" when it comes to what goes and what not - I'd really like to know how common "special wishes" actully are and if BMW has some sort of special ordering procedure in place to deal with such request? Any special department that deals with such orders (BMW Individual, perhaps?)? Additional cost and delay in order time?.

Thanks!

Last edited by 760Lifan; 06-14-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 335xi GT (F34)
Every year or so I email BMW asking them to let me get an M3 w/ leatherette. The answer has always been no
--ED #3 Schedule--
2014 F34 335i, Mineral Gray on Black
Order Placed: 6/7/13 ED: 9/9/13
Drop-off: 21/9/13 @port: 19/10/13 ReDelivery: 31/10/13
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarros View Post
Every year or so I email BMW asking them to let me get an M3 w/ leatherette. The answer has always been no
What I know for sure is that there is no easy way to get something special - you have to get to those individuals who are "pulling the strings" behind the scenes.

The member who managed to get the A/C-control was initially rejected, too - but he simply didn't accept NO for an answer.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
My new M3 has HK sound (not listed as an option in the Vehicle Ordering Guide).

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 06-14-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Re: "Special Orders" - Do they exist?

I special ordered Shadowline trim on my M-Sport F13 (was only available to overseas models) and someone else in the F12/13 forum special ordered the anthracite headliner on his non M-Sport F13 (was only available for the M-Sport). There were other special orders as well, I believe.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335xi GT (F34)
ok, so how is it done? Say I want to add comfort access to a 2014 F30 non-premium-package?
--ED #3 Schedule--
2014 F34 335i, Mineral Gray on Black
Order Placed: 6/7/13 ED: 9/9/13
Drop-off: 21/9/13 @port: 19/10/13 ReDelivery: 31/10/13
Old 06-14-2013, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
ok, so how is it done? Say I want to add comfort access to a 2014 F30 non-premium-package?
It's cheaper to get ZPP.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:38 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
My new M3 has HK sound (not listed as an option in the Vehicle Ordering Guide).
Interesting - so there IS a way to order these "specials".

Since we know that you are obviously knowing your business and therefore, probably can make more things happen than the dealer around the corner, what are my chances that somebody like Adrian would know these "tricks" as well?

And if you don't mind me asking: How expensive are these additional features? In general, the price of US-options is about the same as those in Europe - so can I expect to pay the same or is there some sort of special order surcharge for each order that is out of the ordinary?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
... and someone else in the F12/13 forum special ordered the anthracite headliner on his non M-Sport F13 (was only available for the M-Sport).
Well, that would already be 50% of what I'm looking for..
Old 06-15-2013, 07:29 AM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
It's cheaper to get ZPP.
+1

It "can" be done. But special orders = $$$

If you're trying to get something stand-alone instead of ordering a package, it probably won't make sense once they give you a price for a special order.

If you're trying to get something that isn't otherwise available, in that case you might be willing to pay the $$$ premium.

6MT, M-Sport, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Tech Pkg, HK Sound, M Performance Exhaust, M Performance Power Kit

Former: 2011 335xi Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3/x5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Interesting - so there IS a way to order these "specials".

Since we know that you are obviously knowing your business and therefore, probably can make more things happen than the dealer around the corner, what are my chances that somebody like Adrian would know these "tricks" as well?

And if you don't mind me asking: How expensive are these additional features? In general, the price of US-options is about the same as those in Europe - so can I expect to pay the same or is there some sort of special order surcharge for each order that is out of the ordinary?
Adrian does know how to pull this off. Before I settled on the m3 I was going to get a 550 and was going to add premium sound as a stand alone option (at the time it was only offered bundled with premium package). Adrian was able to arrange that special order without a problem.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 AM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
If you're trying to get something that isn't otherwise available, in that case you might be willing to pay the $$$ premium.
Is there something like a "special order surcharge-flatrate" that is added to each order in addition to the up-charge for the feature or is the charge a special order will cost limited to the charge of the feature itself?

I'm asking because the member cordoor who managed to special order his 4-zone A/C was "only" charged $500 - a very fair deal.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=zone
Old 06-15-2013, 01:47 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3/x5M

Quote:
Is there something like a "special order surcharge-flatrate" that is added to each order in addition to the up-charge for the feature or is the charge a special order will cost limited to the charge of the feature itself?

I'm asking because the member cordoor who managed to special order his 4-zone A/C was "only" charged $500 - a very fair deal.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=zone
The price charged depends on what you want. For me it was going to be the same $895 as on the 535i where it was a stand alone option.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
This one I understand... safety/crash/federalized items cannot be special ordered/substituted. We have this particular discussion before in another BMW forum.

For BMW to give you a letherette-seats M3 they would have to crash-certify one (or several) for the US, just because the seat sensors for the airbags are calibrated for the vehicle type and upholstery installed.

I tried to get my M3 with the E46 M3 Nappa Cinnamon via Individual. The M3 is crash-certified for Novillo leather. For Individual to give me Cinnamon they would have to dye a Novillo hide. The price would have been about a base Ford Fiesta.

No, thanks. So I decided for Novillo Rust Brown instead.

Now, I do understand the point of the OP very much. I will try to get next year an US 320i with an UK configuration via the people that I met while doing ED and the Individual order. In my experience, BMWNA is very responsive to special orders as long as the requests are legit -in other words, you really need to know what you are talking about and not wasting anybody's time.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:01 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Now, I do understand the point of the OP very much. I will try to get next year an US 320i with an UK configuration via the people that I met while doing ED and the Individual order. In my experience, BMWNA is very responsive to special orders as long as the requests are legit -in other words, you really need to know what you are talking about and not wasting anybody's time.
It's very true that there can be huge differences between special orders in regards to how difficult and expensive it would be for BMW to fulfill them.

I have no doubt that ordering an engine and/or transmission usually not available in the US probably won't make it here under any circumstances due to the reasons you mentioned.

As far as I know, the ActiveHybrid 5 and 535d for the US are assembled at the same factory in Dingolfing - perhaps even on the same line. And since both features I'd be asking for are actually installed on these vehicles every day, it might be a bit easier to get them.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
It's very true that there can be huge differences between special orders in regards to how difficult and expensive it would be for BMW to fulfill them.

I have no doubt that ordering an engine and/or transmission usually not available in the US probably won't make it here under any circumstances due to the reasons you mentioned.

As far as I know, the ActiveHybrid 5 and 535d for the US are assembled at the same factory in Dingolfing - perhaps even on the same line. And since both features I'd be asking for are actually installed on these vehicles every day, it might be a bit easier to get them.
I will be asking for 4 particular options that are available in the UK 320i but not in the US, none of them safety/crash-certified related. I do not think that there will be any issue getting them approved but I expect to pay full MSRP for each option.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Quote:
In my experience, BMWNA is very responsive to special orders as long as the requests are legit -in other words, you really need to know what you are talking about and not wasting anybody's time.
I asked for a model designation delete, simply the model number not applied to the trunk. This is a no cost option in many countries. It was not possible. I don't want to use dental floss to debadge mine so mine stays on.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
I asked for a model designation delete, simply the model number not applied to the trunk. This is a no cost option in many countries. It was not possible. I don't want to use dental floss to debadge mine so mine stays on.
As stated before, it is possible only if the CA requests it thru the proper BMWNA channels. Giving them the option code helps some. But it seems to me that because what you requested does not cost any money then it was "not possible".

By the way, you do not have to use any dental floss. You can remove each letter with your hands without any scratches. The double side tape is very narrow so it does not stick too hard.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
I've been able to get a "special order" in the past: When I ordered my 2003 330i, my wife and I wanted it in Tourmaline Violet, which was a color available in other countries (Europe, Canada) but not in the US. Our CA placed the order for a black metallic color and requested that the color be changed to TV. They did so, and at no additional cost! All I had to pay was the standard metallic paint charge.

I wish I could do that again. I'd like an F31 M Sport in blue. But my wife calls Estoril Blue "Smurf Blue" and dislikes it. I can't say I care for it much either. I'd love to get an M Sport in Imperial Blue or similar.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 11-03-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Quote:
This one I understand... safety/crash/federalized items cannot be special ordered/substituted. We have this particular discussion before in another BMW forum.

For BMW to give you a letherette-seats M3 they would have to crash-certify one (or several) for the US, just because the seat sensors for the airbags are calibrated for the vehicle type and upholstery installed.

I tried to get my M3 with the E46 M3 Nappa Cinnamon via Individual. The M3 is crash-certified for Novillo leather. For Individual to give me Cinnamon they would have to dye a Novillo hide. The price would have been about a base Ford Fiesta.

No, thanks. So I decided for Novillo Rust Brown instead.

Just curious, what are those options you are wanting on the 320i?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancelperry View Post
Just curious, what are those options you are wanting on the 320i?
The original 4 special options were HUD, Luxury Line (for the Saddle Brown leather) and the contents of the Sport Package as separate options (suspension, seats, headliner and steering wheel).

I ended up getting a 528i from the dealer's lot as my plan of staying a little longer with a VW CC next summer did not work out due to sudden and massive out of warranty repairs. I did order a 320i last month and got approved the Head Up display and was waiting for the approval of a Beige/Black Sensatec interior. The CC broke down again and we could not wait for the additional 4-6 weeks of the custom interior delivery.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Quote:
The original 4 special options were HUD, Luxury Line (for the Saddle Brown leather) and the contents of the Sport Package as separate options (suspension, seats, headliner and steering wheel).

I ended up getting a 528i from the dealer's lot as my plan of staying a little longer with a VW CC next summer did not work out due to sudden and massive out of warranty repairs. I did order a 320i last month and got approved the Head Up display and was waiting for the approval of a Beige/Black Sensatec interior. The CC broke down again and we could not wait for the additional 4-6 weeks of the custom interior delivery.
Do you mind sharing how much the HUD was? I'm wanting to do the 320i M sport and Harmon Kardon. Save the hassle of doing aftermarket on both.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
When you say "Beige/Black Sensatec interior" what are you referring to specifically that differs from standard issue?

Quote:

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 11-04-2013, 02:07 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancelperry View Post
Do you mind sharing how much the HUD was? I'm wanting to do the 320i M sport and Harmon Kardon. Save the hassle of doing aftermarket on both.

It was $1300 MSRP.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
When you say "Beige/Black Sensatec interior" what are you referring to specifically that differs from standard issue?
I wanted the seats and the door panels in Sensatec Beige, everything else (including the headliner) black/Anthracite. In other words, the only really custom parts were the door panels -take a black interior door panel and replace the Sensatec black insert with the Beige version. Everything else was standard-issue parts.

I had to cancel the order before the quote came back. The CC broke again by then...