Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:27 PM
BMW FTW!

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Excessive road/engine/wind noise

E83 05 X3 3.0i

anybody else have alot of road/engine noise when going at highway speeds? once it hits the new pavement on the highway it quiets down so i dont think its the tires but they could be the culprit(they are new Firestone FR710). my other guess is the engine. the sound is droning and just annoying to listen to for a long highway drive.

is there something wrong with the engine causing this droning-buzzing noise? anybody else having the same issue.
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Must be the tires.
I'm impressed with how quiet my X3 is...especially for an SUV...
Had the slighest bit of wind noise when the headliner was back. Cured that by installing a wind deflector on the sunroof. Nope; mine's really quiet.
If you feel the engine's droning, have someone check the exhaust system for a pinhole.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 AM
BMW FTW!

Took the car onto the thruway yesterday. Didn't hear that sound for a long time but ever once in a while when you pass above 3000rpm the noise comes out again. Do X3s have exhaust braking? The sound I'm hearing is just like that. Sometimes when it's driving around town you feel the car braking itself when slowing down. Could there be an issue with the drivetrain? It shifts normal.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:08 AM

If you're hearing it while you're passing & the revs are above 3000 rpm, you're hearing the engine drop down a gear to accommodate your pass. Sounds like a normal exhaust note of these engines (unless, of course you've recently developed an exhaust leak) To tell the truth, people kinda like it as it sounds a bit souped up & powerful.
Re the braking you're feeling: try re-adjusting your adaptive transmission thusly: engine off. Key in on position (all dash lights lit). Hold the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor for 30 seconds. Let pedal up. Turn ignition off. When you drive off, the car should feel a bit different. It may help some if you transmission's been acting a bit quirky on you.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335i 'vert: soon
i think i have the same issue. I replaced my tensioner, deflection pulley and belts (serpentine and AC) but still the same noise. When compared to the Audi, it is really really noisy. It just feels like a big engine and the fact that its very close to the main cabin.

We live on a hill, so while coasting down, there is a same wobbly/pulsating noise when turning in one direction. My plan is to replace the
Power steering (32427516848) and the Water pump pulley (11511436590) to eliminate the issue.

The other issues that I am suspecting are:
- Tires
- Power steering fluid (flush)
- front suspension
- Transfer case

2006 A6 3.2L Quattro

2008 335i convertible, 6sp MT, Montego Blue/Saddle, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC
2007 335i Coupe, 6sp MT, Montego Blue/Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006, 325 Arctic, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, Xenon, Steptronic - Totalled
Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: '04 X3 3.0i
You bought OEM tires for a 2012 Malibu!!!!
Old 11-24-2013, 10:33 AM
BMW FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_ver View Post
i think i have the same issue. I replaced my tensioner, deflection pulley and belts (serpentine and AC) but still the same noise. When compared to the Audi, it is really really noisy. It just feels like a big engine and the fact that its very close to the main cabin.

We live on a hill, so while coasting down, there is a same wobbly/pulsating noise when turning in one direction. My plan is to replace the
Power steering (32427516848) and the Water pump pulley (11511436590) to eliminate the issue.

The other issues that I am suspecting are:
- Tires
- Power steering fluid (flush)
- front suspension
- Transfer case
im not getting the sound anymore but im suspecting its the transfer case. took the car on a 65-85 pull yesterday at the same spot on the highway where i used to hear the noise. i heard nothing but a redlining BMW I6
Old 11-24-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Droning noises like that on the same stretch of highway tend to come and go on their own.

Who knows what it could be - tires, moisture content on road surface itself, differential, transfer case, body structure, etc.

Probably nothing to worry about.

Not sure about am_ver's plan to replace the pulleys for water pump and P.A.S. There are no bearings in those pulleys themselves, so should only need replacing if cracked, chipped or bent.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Noise is all relative expectations. If you expected Buick- or Lexus-like quietness in the E83, you're going to be sorely disappointed. The F25 and newer BMWs are much better in this regard.

Yes, the moonroof isolation isn't that great with the shade open. Yes, you will hear the engine (esp M54 and diesel models), yes you will feel bad pavement. Road noise doesn't seem that bad with proper tires. And yes, the windshield isn't quiet-insulated either; I do wish I heard a bit less wind at 170km/h but then again it's a 10-yr old vehicle and no worse than day one.

I don't find the above objectionable even on multi-state trips. But coming out of my dad's 2013 Tiguan and my mom's E90, I can see how the difference of a generation shows in the "luxury refinement" part of the equation.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:48 PM

^^^ Agreed. The difference between my '98 Jeep XJ model and the X3 made the BMW seem as quiet as a tomb. It's all relative.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Excessive road/engine/wind noise

My 06 drones at 3000 rpms too...I don't know what causes it. But it is loud!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app