Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Time Display - Some Thoughts & Some Observations

I never paid much attention to the time display until this morning when I noticed it did not automatically update to Standard Time (from DST). I also noticed, over the past two years or so, there are a number of posts discussing and asking about the time display. So, this is what I noticed:

-Contrary to the opinion of some, the time display does indeed appear to be set from the GPS clock. My time was exactly correct to the second when I checked it this morning. After I changed the hour to accomodate DST it was about twelve seconds off. I stopped the engine, waited about 30 seconds, then restarted it. The clock was again correct to the second. This could only have occured if it had a time reference to reset to and the only accurate place that is available is the GPS.

-I noticed the time was set to GMT +1 (Europe). I changed it to the correct GMT -5 (USA Eastern) but the displayed time did not change. I have no clue what this setting is for or if it even matters. I originally thought it might matter because it might effect when the nav display changes from day to night modes (my Garmin's use local sunrise/sunset times for this). Since the nav display has always been well behaved with respect to the transition from day to night modes, I suspect this changeover is a function of ambient light level. In fact, the display sometimes changes when moving into a dark shadow.

-To my surprise there is no DST On/Off function - at least I could not find it. It appears necessary to actually change the hour to the correct time. As I indicated above, once the hour is reset the clock will reset itself to the correct second next time the car is started. Even my POS Lexus RX350 has this feature so I assumed BMW would certainly have it.

-Just a minor observation - It would be nice if the time on the nav screen was more vividly displayed so I do not have hear my wife complain again that it is hard to see.

Last edited by RhoXS; 11-04-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2013, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
I agree. Ever since my 2002 E46 w/ nav I've wondered why the time isn't a little more automatic. Granted the F25 is better, but the vehicle a) knows where it is, and b) has access to a very good time source (GPS), so we should, theoretically, never have to do anything related to time ever again! I was surprised on a recent roatrip that the clock didn't adjust itself based on timezone, but my expectations were quickly reset Thanks for researching the "auto" time and its limitations.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 2.8i
2014 changed it properly

My 2014 X3 changed the time for DST properly and automatically. When I started the car Sunday morning the hour was already set. There is a checkbox in the time settings that says I am in a DST area. It was defaulted to off when I got the car back in May

It was great not to have to adjust the clock manually.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL1 View Post
My 2014 X3 changed the time for DST properly and automatically. When I started the car Sunday morning the hour was already set. There is a checkbox in the time settings that says I am in a DST area. It was defaulted to off when I got the car back in May

It was great not to have to adjust the clock manually.
I just had to go out and check! Look at that, it did the DST adjustment! Well at least it's "lower" maintenance. Only thing we have to do is manually change time zones if we drive to a different one.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
I too was surprised that the time displayed in the dash is not synched to the NAV. It seems so obvious and can't be that hard to do but, apparently, is not a part of the NAV system. Does anyone know of other NAV systems which do this?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
I too was surprised that the time displayed in the dash is not synched to the NAV. It seems so obvious and can't be that hard to do but, apparently, is not a part of the NAV system. Does anyone know of other NAV systems which do this?
See my initial post in this thread. The time display does appear to be set by the GPS.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
See my initial post in this thread. The time display does appear to be set by the GPS.
My 2012 X3 did not automatically update. Come on BMW. My 2007 CRV had the clock linked to the NAV.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
My 2012 X3 did not automatically update. Come on BMW. My 2007 CRV had the clock linked to the NAV.
I did not saying the time display automatically updates with respect to daylight saving or standard time. What I did say is that the time itself appears to update to the correct second from the GPS clock.

First, before I did anything, I observed the minute was changing exactly at the correct second. This was not likely unless there was some input from the GPS. I then reset the hour for standard time. After changing the hour the clock was then running 12 seconds slow. After stopping and starting the car the clock was again exactly correct. It seems obvious to me the clock is being updated by the GPS even if does not have an automatic daylight saving time feature.