Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740iL
Howdy, I just bought a 2000 740iL

Hello all. After lusting after 740iL's for some time, I took the plunge and bought one today. It is a 2000, one owner car with 133,000 miles. As far as I can tell, it has been serviced well with 3,000 miles between oil changes, etc. I don't know really any past history beyond that fact.

I have only driven it a few miles, but as far as I can tell, everything, and I mean everything works well. No electrical glitches, all the pixals are there, sunroof slides easily, window go up and down, etc. Of course, the only glitch is the front cup (non)holders. The engine bay is clean enough to eat off of and I looked and looked for telltale signs of power steering hose leakage and radiator/water pump white trails...nothing.

After having it home for a few hours, I took a look underneath and there were no signs of any leakage of anything.

It is dark blue in color with blue/ivory interior with blue piping which is the only thing I don't like. I guess I can live with it though! Did I mention that I paid $4,300 for it?

I would like some advice as what to do to assure myself that I have a good baseline in that there are no real records. Of course, I'll do all the fluid changes myself to make sure they are done, even though the dealer said they did them. What else should I do for peace of mind?

Thanks in advance. I am knocking on wood that the original impressions are indeed correct and that I have a good one. The PO traded his in on a new 7 series, by the way.
Ads by Google
Old 11-06-2013, 08:28 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
What would you like to hear?

Given the fact it's a 13 year-old car that you apparently did no pre-purchase inspection of, and that you have no service records for, anything is possible - it'll either have been a great find, or a costly experiment.

You only paid 4300 for it, so stop worrying and enjoy it.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 PM

What would I like to hear? Well, you are right...no pre-purchase inspection and spotty records. I perfectly understand the potential perils. What I would like to hear is what I asked. In addition to changing the fluids and checking brakes and other normal stuff, is there anything that I should be particularly aware of to check or preemptively fix? I mentioned 2 common problems, the cooling system and power steering hoses that I looked at quite carefully, for instance. I am a pretty good mechanic and do almost all my own work on the 50+ cars I have owned. I have also owned a couple of 5 series and a Z3 in the past.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:16 AM
Society of the 7's East

Mein Auto: 2001 740iL
You have the Highline option , piping on the seats and ERCU nappa leather which is much softer due to a special and longer tanning process. Standard leather is Montana leather. That specific color combo Midnight Blue metallic /Pearl beige was only available for the Highline models only. In USA models.

In Euro and Japanese markets the Highlines had fold down tray tables on the back of the seats and I believe vanity mirrors in the back of the front seat headrests.

You wanna laugh?

The option when new was $3800.00!
You paid a little more for the whole car!

Get familiar with sites like these they have a wealth of information.

http://www.e38.org/

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/

Last edited by ebida3; 11-07-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

Send a message via AIM to ou18 Send a message via Yahoo to ou18
Mein Auto: 1997 740 IL
being 7d is an addiction. look out..

Congrats on what sounds like a great find. As Ebida3 said, get familiar with the two sites he listed. Tons of great info in there.. This maybe a case of, if it aint broke yet, IMHO, dont go preemptively fixing things. These cars can be finicky no doubt, but dont go throwing money at it, in hopes of snagging a problem before it happens. Could be a waste of time, effort and your hard earned cash. If everything is as clean as you say it is, and runs as smooth as you say, just enjoy it, and fix the problems as they arise. You dont want to be the proverbial dog that chases its tail in circles.

These 7s like to be driven, they dont like sitting in the driveway for weeks on end. Drive her.. Eventually you'll get to know the car and its little quirks and what not and you'll know when something isnt right with it.. Then go and search out the problem.. Until then, ENJOY that nice ride you picked up for next to nothing..

If your looking for good info on common problems, the e38.org site has plenty. But again, IMHO dont going throwing cash at something that isnt causing issues.

Since the engine bay is so clean and under it is immaculate, that could have been the dealer, doing a nice clean up job to make it presentable and what not. When parked in driveway or garage, throw some card board under her and see if there is any spots there each day. YOU never know...

All in all, sounds like you found a diamond amongst all the rough...

again, enjoy her, and take care of her and she will take care of you...

1997 Black 740IL (w\ badass Phone in console)
Old 11-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740I SPORT
Nothing wrong with piping
2000 740i Sport , Alpina 21`, Alpina Lip, Alpina Deco Stripe kit,Dinan 7,Dinan TB, DINAN CAI, DINAN Exhaust, Dinan Software Stage 5, Dinan manifold, Highline individual interior,Eibach/Bilstein,Zimmerman Timing guides done
Old 11-07-2013, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have been lurking here for awhile and also the other 2 sites mentioned. LOTS of information there.

So I have the Highline package? Cool! You are right, nothing wrong with piping at all. I just went out and looked at the car for the first time this morning. I was afraid to look underneath for leaks but forced myself. Nothing!! I will gingerly drive this thing to get used to it but short term to long term is to drive the wheels off of it. I am kind of anal when it comes to maintenance and I have had several cars go to the 250,000 mile mark because of that habit. Hopefully, this one will do the same.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

Send a message via AIM to ou18 Send a message via Yahoo to ou18
Mein Auto: 1997 740 IL
Enjoy the hell out of her. I love mine, and havent really come in contact with anyone that doesnt. When they run good, man do they run good.

1997 Black 740IL (w\ badass Phone in console)