Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BART
DHP vs Regular/M-sport Differences?

This is NOT a thread about suspension differences. Lately, I have been thinking about dropping DHP in favor of 704 and was wondering if others agree with my observations:

It is about overall differences between cars equipped with DHP vs regulars & M-Sports. So far I've driven all variants of 535i in Sport/Sport+ modes:

1. 535xi - Felt ok, didn't feel fast for some reason even in Sport mode, maybe because there were 3 adults in the car. Don't recall steering getting heavier in sport mode either.

2. 535i w/DHP and Regular Trans: Of all the 535s I've driven, this one felt special. I was the only one driving it (no salesguy sitting shotgun..so maybe it was the reduced weight), it felt electric and very powerful. In sport+ mode, the steering was very heavy & solid, and the car felt glued to the ground. I loved driving this car!

3. 535i LCI w/Sport Transmission. This also felt electric but for some reason found the ride to be a bit bumpy on uneven patches of roads. I've heard that the regular LCI 5series have more tuned suspension now, maybe that's the case?

4. 535i LCI w/704 Suspension. I recently drove this one with a sales guy in the car as well. This didn't feel as fast as 2 & 3 and 704 suspension didn't feel much different from regular LCI suspension either....but I have to admit that the test drive wasn't as long as others. Another thing I noticed is that the steering didn't feel as heavy as it felt in the DHP car.

I only recall steering wheel getting heavier in the car with DHP, is that true? Has anyone noticed steering getting heavier in their LCI with regular or Sport transmission? Is there a difference in how heavy the steering gets in cars with DHP vs without?

I've read in few posts that cars with Sport Transmission feel faster, however, the car with DHP that I liked the most did Not have Sport Transmission, but it felt as strong as the car with i.e. LCI 535i w/Sport Tranny...what gives?

Last edited by Motorboat411; 11-04-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-07-2013, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: BART
Can anyone confirm if the steering wheel gets heavier in Sport mode on all cars i.e. it's not dependent on DHP or Sport Transmission.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
Can anyone confirm if the steering wheel gets heavier in Sport mode on all cars i.e. it's not dependent on DHP or Sport Transmission.
I've driven a 2014 535 X Drive/M Sport and a 2013 (same). The steering effort in both cars increases when the "sport" or "sport +" modes are selected. As both cars were M Sport, they had the sport transmission as standard.

I've read on this forum (written by someone who has the 704 suspension) that he prefers it to the DHP on the 535 as while the DHP definitely flattens the car in a turn, the negative trade off is that the cars with DHP are too "floaty" when being driven on rougher roads in a straight line. I'm not sure how that is the case with DHP you also get EDC (Electronic Damper Control) which allows you to tighten up the dampers, but that is what one person wrote. he wrote that he would take the 704 over DHP.

I would have liked to try a car with DHP but I haven't found one in Canada (2013) with the option (535 that is) and I decided on a '13 before I started looking for the option in 14's.

As to the cars being "faster" with the different suspensions/automatics, I think the sport automatic may provide quicker shifts and when you are in the sport mode, the throttle tip in is much quicker, making you feel like the car is faster, but all version still have the same 306HP.

Last edited by grover432; 11-07-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
I am little confused by your post - you mentioned DHP and M-Sport transmission but then talked about how "fast" it felt. Are you interested in speed or handling? They are mutually exclusive.