Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
Caught by cop with 8500 x50 on

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull21 View Post
You might want to contact one of those attorneys that defends speeding tickets. Don't have the link handy. In this case because the cop would not provide the proof you asked for, maybe the lawyer could get it thrown out.
Not showing a lidar/radar display is not cause for dismissal, I know OP already said he will just pay it, but for future folk, the only good way for a dismissal is to show up and hope the officer doesn't... And (IMHO) the attorneys for traffic tickets are useless... Your much better off defending yourself in traffic court.

*OP (and anyone else) remember to attend traffic school and get the point off the license!*

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Old 11-08-2013, 12:51 PM
It's good to be bad

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Msport

I've had 37 speeding tickets since I was 16. I'm 41 now. As with everything there are always extremes. Some cops that pulled me over were cocky and ruthless while others were nice and even joked a little. Where I live the cops live to write tickets and most have little respect for them. One night in particular I was on call and working at the hospital and a friend of mine was downtown drinking and got separated from her friends. I told her to sit tight and that I'll come pick her up. I was traveling 35mph in a 35 zone. I saw the cop up ahead and maintained my speed. As I passed him he turned his lights on and I pulled over. Keep in mind I'm still in my scrubs just left the hospital. He walks up to my car and asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I said "to be honest sir, I don't. I was driving the speed limit and I haven't been drinking." So he says where are you in a hurry to. I said " I'm not in a hurry but a friend of mine is downtown drinking and needs a ride home." He tells me he clocked me driving 45 and tells me to step to the rear of the car. So I step to the rear and he tells me to follow his light. I was pissed that he was doing a sobriety test. So after the test I congratulated him for testing the only sober person out of the past 60 cars that past him that were probably drunk. when he showed me my court date I told him to make sure he was free that day cause we'll be talking about this in court. So my court date came and he didn't show. So I explained to the judge I was in scrubs on my way to pick up a friend and what I was put through. He just dropped the ticket. Even though I've had 37 tickets, my record has always been clean due to probation or just paying a civil penalty to keep it off my record.

The funniest ticket I got was outside a small town in Oklahoma. I was driving about 80 in a 55. So when I pull over this big fat sherif gets out of his car pulling his pants up as he walked to my car. I rolled down the window and he said "boy, I've been waiting on you all day" I said "well I got here as quick as I could." He dropped the ticket to 65 in a 55!

2014 535i Msport - Delivered
2012 X5 Msport - active
2012 X5 Msport - deceased
2008 335i Dinan stage2, Forged 360 wheels- Retired
Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYoda View Post
+1. I see it all the time. Cops crossing HOV lanes, talking on cell phones. Etc Etc. How much driver training due the police actually receive? Is it a weekend course with cones and wet pavement ???? I bet drivers in Germany have more driver training then American police have!

Yep here they drive right up on people in the fast lane because they know they can clear out the lane for themselves...

I would rather pay giant fines then have points, arrests exc. if you wanna speed speed but just like modding it should be pay to play. Shouldn't be able to wreck your life
Old 11-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Hhmm the OP was doing 89 and complains over this fine for being 24 over 55?
Police deliberately right down the figure for 2 reasons:

1. The fine for 24 over and 34 over is about the same (so similar revenue)
2. They hope that the offender will feel some gratitude and just pay the ticket instead of fighting it

In the USA, it's relatively easier to fight a speeding ticket than in other countries.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 11-08-2013, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischeung View Post
Police deliberately right down the figure for 2 reasons:

1. The fine for 24 over and 34 over is about the same (so similar revenue)
2. They hope that the offender will feel some gratitude and just pay the ticket instead of fighting it

In the USA, it's relatively easier to fight a speeding ticket than in other countries.
Are you guys just making stuff up. In many states, 24 over would be a fine, and 34 over would be criminal... so yeah its probably just the gratitude thing.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to tinkleondabeach
Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i, 01 E46 330i
Your 8500 won't protect you from laser, and laser jammers are illegal in CA.

I got pulled over in Fremont and fought it by written declaration and won. Officer just didn't respond to written trial.

However, if you haven't used traffic school in past 18 months I suggest you take it so theres 0 chance of it hitting your record.

http://autohookups.com/traffic-school/
http://autohookups.com/got-a-ticket-...-your-options/
Old 11-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW528i
Heh, folks. Radar detectors are unlawful in Canada and you get a hefty fine if you are caught with one in your car, in use or not. Having done a little stock car racing and rallying in my naughty past I can assure anyone who is interested that it is extremely difficult to keep control of your vehicle if you have an emergency condition such as a blowout OR WHEN THE BACK END OF YOUR CAR KISSES THE FRONT END GOODBYE!!! Over 60mph it gets even more interesting. How much is your life worth? Cars are too easy to drive--that is the problem. Until they go out of control.....then!!!

Last edited by Fastpaddler; 11-09-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M sport
run flats
Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
One thing I do to get out of tickets, and I only do this if they aren't writing a warning and are about to write a ticket. I ask them to see their license to operate the laser or radar gun. Every officer that uses one has to have a license. If they don't have the license they can't legally write you a ticket. You'd be surprised at how many don't have one. If they used radar and have shown me a license to operate the radar gun, I ask them to see the calibration log and when was the last time they had the unit calibrated. You'd be surprised at how many don't have calibration logs and they are to be done monthly. If they have neither or even one item, i tell them it would be better to write me a warning because I'm documenting that they were missing info and when I show up in court and you couldn't provide the documentation showing you had a license or calibration the ticket will be thrown out. So far I've never had to go to court. Knocking on wood....

Just out of curiosity, have you ever actually tried pulling all these difficult questions on a cop ? I guess the answer will be yes, regardless.

I don't now what the law is in your state, but even if I had the right to ask all these questions I wouldn't. At the end of the day I am at fault no matter what.

What I am basically saying is that theory is a bit different than real life...

In NY if I ever wanted to pull a stunt like this on a cop it would not end up pretty for me. Here, you just say "yes sir", take the ticket and go to court. That's of course if you got some crazy points on your DL otherwise the ticket money is not worth the time and effort you spend fighting it. Just pay and forget (or learn).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
I think that using that kind of approach with a cop would probably end up making your situation much worse most of the time.

It reminds me of the story going around the internet this week where the guy got stopped in New Mexico and ended up going to the station and getting multiple anal drug searches and more. What those cops and docs did was unconscionable but I don't think we are hearing the whole story there.

If you're going 89 in a 55 and you get stopped, you've been caught. You and the cop both know it. Better to be completely cooperative and a little contrite, and maybe the cop lets you go about half the time.
100% agree
Old 11-10-2013, 02:59 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake View Post
Are you guys just making stuff up. In many states, 24 over would be a fine, and 34 over would be criminal... so yeah its probably just the gratitude thing.
OR maybe the cop just doesn't want to deal with an arrest, arraignment, etc. for a guy who should just be ticketed.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Re: Caught by cop with 8500 x50 on

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
OR maybe the cop just doesn't want to deal with an arrest, arraignment, etc. for a guy who should just be ticketed.
Also possible, either way the '' same fine'' is very inaccurate in many states.

As someone who is fairly familiar with traffic laws, there is a large amount bad advice and straight up bs being thrown around in here.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake View Post
They want you you to pay the fine - not fight the ticket. When it is criminal, or the fine too excessive, then you will fight the ticket. They want the maximum revenue for least cost.

If they wanted to give you a break, why not a warning?

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 11-10-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:02 PM
It's good to be bad

Kid rock, yes after I have been nice with the officer and they tell me they're going to issue a citation, then yes I ask the questions. It's in my legal rights. They have to follow the law just as I do. If I'm breaking the law by driving 5-10 over the speed limit, then why should they get to break the law and operate a radar gun without a license. There's too many sheep in this world that just walk around with their heads down. Next thing you know all of your freedoms are gone. I've had the cop not answer my questions and show up to court without having the said license to operate the radar when the ticket was written and the judge threw out the ticket or sometimes just give a 3 month probation. You can handle things your way, as I'll handle them my way.

2012 X5 Msport - active

Last edited by skalberti; 11-10-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by getz View Post
My Blinder HP-905 jammer has saved me a bunch of dough. Pretty discrete, even tells you what brand of laser gun it is jamming. Once you hit a reasonable speed turn off the jammer, and cruise on bye. It's pretty bad ass.

Could you post pics please of your set-up?

Didn't know the Blinder. Found this:

Old 11-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Kid rock, yes after I have been nice with the officer and they tell me they're going to issue a citation, then yes I ask the questions. It's in my legal rights. They have to follow the law just as I do. If I'm breaking the law by driving 5-10 over the speed limit, then why should they get to break the law and operate a radar gun without a license. There's too many sheep in this world that just walk around with their heads down. Next thing you know all of your freedoms are gone. I've had the cop not answer my questions and show up to court without having the said license to operate the radar when the ticket was written and the judge threw out the ticket or sometimes just give a 3 month probation. You can handle things your way, as I'll handle them my way.

The way cops handle traffic stops doesn't give you the opportunity to ask to see his license as he's about to write the ticket (he's in his car when/ if he does), unless you ask him when you feel you lost grip on him and before he heads back to his car with your papers ("do me a favor, sit tight for me, will you?").
Goes back to his car, checks you out and he either returns with no ticket, with a ticket or with his hand on his gun/ gun drawn if he found something on you and needs to arrest you.

They need to start pulling over the people hanging out in the left lane - which I never ever see happen (the law is in the book in most states)....
I don't know why they are so hell-bent on generating revenue - that money doesn't even go the PD.

Last edited by octopump; 11-11-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwonly View Post
Was on HWY 580 today, cars were about 75+ mph, I went ahead to pass a suv, then saw 2 cops parked on the right side, about 600 ft away, I reduced to 75, still pulled over for a ticket, he said I was at 89mph, he said he used laser, but didn't print the record, my 8500 gave me nothing, I used 8500 and V1 on my cars for last few years, zero ticket, I doubt he used laser or radar, maybe just by eyes? anyone had like this before? should I ask him for the laser record before I sign the ticket? any suggestion for better laser detector? like 9500ix or Max? thanks in advance!
If you didn't hear the laser go off then most likely he pulled you over by visual and the speed he wrote was a guestimate. You can challenge him in court
Old 11-11-2013, 02:31 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopump View Post
Could you post pics please of your set-up?

Didn't know the Blinder. Found this:

Please nobody post pics. We already know there is at least one police officer on this thread.

We all know laser jammers don't work.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 11-11-2013, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E92 335is DCT ProTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Please nobody post pics. We already know there is at least one police officer on this thread.

We all know laser jammers don't work.

'11 E92 335is DCT ProTuned by PTF Black Sapphire Metallic (Mine)
'14 F30 335xDrive Mineral Grey (Wifey)
'11 E92 335xDrive Space Grey (Retired)
'08 E90 328xi Alpine White (Retired)
'04 E46 325xi Silver Grey (Retired)
'03 E46 330xi Titanium Silver (Retired)
'98 Audi A4 2.8 Black (Retired)
'89 Saab 900 Turbo Grey (Retired) 350,000 miles

ED - Aug/Sept 2013 - '14 F30 335xDrive w/DHP Mineral Grey
Old 11-11-2013, 04:48 PM
It's good to be bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopump View Post
They need to start pulling over the people hanging out in the left lane - which I never ever see happen (the law is in the book in most states)....
I don't know why they are so hell-bent on generating revenue - that money doesn't even go the PD.
Arkansas is the worst for this. They even have signs posted all along the interstate. I guess the idiots can't read. At least in Texas they'll share the lane and let you by.

2012 X5 Msport - active
Old 11-11-2013, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 997TT/335xi/R500

Sorry for the poor pic quality, but I run 3 heads in the front and 1 in the rear. 3 is likely over kill but almost never see laser from the rear unless it's from an overpass and usually aimed at a rear plate. So far this set up has served me very well.

Current: 2012 M-Sport 550i X-drive Dinan Stage 2, 1973 911 with 930 Motor (340 hp 2200 lbs).

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911 Carrera S, 07 BMW M Coupe, 07 335 XI, 05 Mercedes R500

Last edited by getz; 11-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i, BMW f800st
How many jammer a on the rear? Just one?

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350
Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donm View Post
Just one. If you get hit from behind it is likely from an overpass and at a distance and angle that makes it difficult to jam. I have yet to have it happen and wanted amazing coverage up front.

Current: 2012 M-Sport 550i X-drive Dinan Stage 2, 1973 911 with 930 Motor (340 hp 2200 lbs).

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911 Carrera S, 07 BMW M Coupe, 07 335 XI, 05 Mercedes R500

Last edited by getz; 11-11-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E92 335is DCT ProTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donm View Post
Laser interceptor sells a BMW specific unit that fits into the front grill vertically. I have 2 upfront and one in the rear. You will only need 2 in the rear if you have a large SUV. Etc Etc....

'11 E92 335is DCT ProTuned by PTF Black Sapphire Metallic (Mine)
'14 F30 335xDrive Mineral Grey (Wifey)
'11 E92 335xDrive Space Grey (Retired)
'08 E90 328xi Alpine White (Retired)
'04 E46 325xi Silver Grey (Retired)
'03 E46 330xi Titanium Silver (Retired)
'98 Audi A4 2.8 Black (Retired)
'89 Saab 900 Turbo Grey (Retired) 350,000 miles

ED - Aug/Sept 2013 - '14 F30 335xDrive w/DHP Mineral Grey
Old 11-11-2013, 05:43 PM

I viewed the BMW LI unit and was not a fan of the look in the grille. If you go with LI or Blinder you are solid.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:10 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz View Post

Sorry for the poor pic quality, but I run 3 heads in the front and 1 in the rear. 3 is likely over kill but almost never see laser from the rear unless it's from an overpass and usually aimed at a rear plate. So far this set up has served me very well.
You do realize we all lose when you post these pics on a board frequented by cops, why didn't you just post it on officer.com

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels