Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BART
Driver Assistance Package Plus worth it?

I really wanted to get the Driver Assistance Package Plus, mainly because of "Active Blind Spot Detection" as I drive on highways a lot and people tend to sneak into my blind spot and it's annoying having to constantly look side-ways when changing lanes etc. Other than that, I also like the Side and Top View Cameras....remaining features I'm not so sure about.

Recently, I've been approved for Active Blind Spot Detection option for around $700 and was wondering if rest of the package is worth it or not?
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Side and Top View cameras are worth their weight in gold. Probably a bit more than their weight in gold.

I'm a fan of the speed limit info in conjunction with the HUD. I wasn't sold on it at order, but have come to rely on it a lot.

The blind spot detection I've found to be "ok". Most of the time it doesn't add value for me….but I guess it only needs to add value once, eh?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: '13 550i

I absolutely love it. Once I saw it on a friends car, I immediately called the dealer and had it added to the build. Really cool. Has saved me more than $700 in repairs for sure.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
Side and Top View cameras are worth their weight in gold. Probably a bit more than their weight in gold.

I'm a fan of the speed limit info in conjunction with the HUD. I wasn't sold on it at order, but have come to rely on it a lot.

The blind spot detection I've found to be "ok". Most of the time it doesn't add value for me….but I guess it only needs to add value once, eh?
Blind Sport + Side View come out to be $1450...I guess I might as well should just go for the entire package.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Blk/Blk MSport

I love mine but know one thing that annoys me - the blind spot does not activate until speeds 40mph and up. I have a E-Class with the same option that works at all speeds.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix

I really like the feature. Got the Adaptive Cruise too and that's my favorite feature...

Old 11-07-2013, 01:15 PM
um, i dunno

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
I like it too, but i've found that with the sideview mirrors adjusted correctly there really is no blind spot. The HUD and the speed limit info is great too....
Old 11-07-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFTW8SNOW View Post
I love mine but know one thing that annoys me - the blind spot does not activate until speeds 40mph and up. I have a E-Class with the same option that works at all speeds.
FYI, there is a coding fix for that. I remember reading a post where a guy had the detection speed reduced to 20-25mph.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M6, B7, LX570, CGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
I really wanted to get the Driver Assistance Package Plus, mainly because of "Active Blind Spot Detection" as I drive on highways a lot and people tend to sneak into my blind spot and it's annoying having to constantly look side-ways when changing lanes etc. Other than that, I also like the Side and Top View Cameras....remaining features I'm not so sure about.

Recently, I've been approved for Active Blind Spot Detection option for around $700 and was wondering if rest of the package is worth it or not?

Blind Spot Detection is useless if you set up your mirror positions correctly
Old 11-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPNY View Post
I like it too, but i've found that with the sideview mirrors adjusted correctly there really is no blind spot. The HUD and the speed limit info is great too....
I think DHP+ is worth it.

I often wonder if most people know how their side view mirrors need to be adjusted to eliminate the blind spot? Even with the blind spot elimination technology side mirrors should be moved way out- this way one can see approaching cars either in the rearview mirror or one of the side view mirrors. A combination of the orange triangle and actually seeing the approaching car is best.

When I first learned to drive I remember getting the stupid advice- that many got- to set the mirrors so that when driving the sides of the car can be seen.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
FYI, there is a coding fix for that. I remember reading a post where a guy had the detection speed reduced to 20-25mph.
BSD can be coded to be active down to 25 km/17 mph

Old 11-07-2013, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I like the Package as installed in my '13 535xDrive. But, depending on whether I replace it with a '14 535xd next month, will have some recoding done to enable cameras (rear and side) to remain on and BSD to be active at a lower speed. I did also post a question about the small LED triangles in the side mirrors being 'dim' - wondered if anyone had tried to replace the LED with a brighter one - in bright daylight driving it's impossible to see them.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates

Last edited by luigi524td; 11-07-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to ebby422
Mein Auto: 2012 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs123 View Post
I really like the feature. Got the Adaptive Cruise too and that's my favorite feature...

+1.

same here. if you got the money to burn get the active cruise too................
Old 11-07-2013, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
love it
Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
I like the Package as installed in my '13 535xDrive. But, depending on whether I replace it with a '14 535xd next month, will have some recoding done to enable cameras (rear and side) to remain on and BSD to be active at a lower speed. I did also post a question about the small LED triangles in the side mirrors being 'dim' - wondered if anyone had tried to replace the LED with a brighter one - in bright daylight driving it's impossible to see them.
Interesting, I have no problem seeing the LED triangles. Test drove an Acura RLX and it had the LED triangles and an audible beep- incredibly annoying!
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Interesting, I have no problem seeing the LED triangles. Test drove an Acura RLX and it had the LED triangles and an audible beep- incredibly annoying!
Is there a blind spot warning on HUD as well?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche Boxster S
Looking over my shoulder to see what's in my blind spot is not a habit I want to give up.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
I use the side mirrors to have a nice view of the sides of my car.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post

How do you get the speed limit info? I have that assistance package but no speed limit info.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
How do you get the speed limit info? I have that assistance package but no speed limit info.
It's a feature of the "plus" package. When you have the option, you can put the speed limit on just under the speedometer as well as your HUD.

In the 2013 model 5-series, there were two DA packages - Driver's Assistance and Driver's Assistance Plus.

Last edited by AggieKnight; 11-08-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
It is nice to have technology features to help the driver be safer on the road however so against technology that lowers your driving skills and rely solely on the gadgets to drive the car for you.
We buy and own BMW's because we are spirited drivers.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535I & 2008 G35
When I am in a parking lot parking at the end space, The top view cameras allow me to get very close to the curb and I am not worried about hitting the rim. Perfect view and easy to trust.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535I & 2008 G35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preludator View Post
It is nice to have technology features to help the driver be safer on the road however so against technology that lowers your driving skills and rely solely on the gadgets to drive the car for you.
We buy and own BMW's because we are spirited drivers.
I love technology that helps good drives drive even better. I have all the driving assistant packages and I keep them all enabled. I would buy again.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
I don't consider BSD the main reason to get the DAP+ package. In fact, BSD is not available in the DAP+ package on the MSport line of the F07 so I can't speak to its effectiveness. But for me, the Speed Limit Info is wonderful to have on the HUD. But the best is the ACC with Stop and Go. That feature makes highway driving much less stressful. I use the top view cameras every time I park in the garage. YMMV.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 11-09-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMtheJJ View Post
Blind Spot Detection is useless if you set up your mirror positions correctly
I hear this all the time and call malarky. I know how to set my mirrors (lean with head on window, adjust so you see side of car, you shouldn't see the car once you lean back, , etc.) I had BSW on my F10 and it saved my bacon more than once. I sit far back and the B pillar is right in my peripheral vision. Sometimes, people dive in after you've looked, and then are looking back forward, etc.

Not a waste of money at all.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians