Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 GL450
Auxiliary Heating

Does anyone know when auxiliary heating will be available on the X5?
I heard it was with end of year production. Do you think it can be added to a vehicle built before than? Sounds like a great feature thru the Connected Drive.
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: x5
What is auxillary heating

What is auxilary heating?
Old 11-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
I heavily doubt well get auxiliary heating. I think ATM all u can expect is the rest feature.

To those who want info on wat it is here's a snippet from the international bmw website:
In the winter months, auxiliary heating can bring the interior of the vehicle up to a pleasant temperature before you even set off. Pre-heating of the coolant circuit also protects the engine from the effects of extreme cold and reduces fuel consumption. The system is activated by remote control, a programmable timer, or the controls in the vehicle.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!

Last edited by NoI4plz; 01-14-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5M50d (2014)
I ordered my X5M50D (F15) in mid October from a UK main dealer with auxiliary heating - it arrived from the US early in December.

I have never had it before but already proving to be a great option even in the UK where temperatures are never really below freezing......
Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by v16gra View Post
I ordered my X5M50D (F15) in mid October from a UK main dealer with auxiliary heating - it arrived from the US early in December.

I have never had it before but already proving to be a great option even in the UK where temperatures are never really below freezing......
I'm going to order the option..have have you found the App and how long does it take to get the car warmed up?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
I'm going to order the option..have have you found the App and how long does it take to get the car warmed up?
I am yet to use the phone app but using the remote (about the size of another key) supplied (needs radio contact with the car - seems to be decent range) from initiation it takes perhaps 10 minutes to warm up. By 15 minutes the car feels as if it's been driven around for an hour.

The scheduling process from the car or the remote is great too - means that you can set the heating to come on in time for a set departure time.

My wife and the children love the option after a week of using it....

The sound (some are worried that it is noisy) reminds me of the sound that my 1990 GT Turbo makes after a run as the fan blows cold air onto the carburettor (carburetor) to aid hot starting.....

Steven

Last edited by v16gra; 01-15-2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-25-2014, 12:40 PM

Do not think it is available

I ordered 2014 x5 35d on 1/18. I asked the dealer about auxiliary hearing because if it was an option I wanted it. They told me it was not available because it car would need another battery or some other component. They mentioned hybrid models could do it. Not sure they are correct, but that is what I was told. There also was not option to check off for this to be added.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:53 PM

I assume that this is an option not available in Dallas for some reason. My UK car has no additional battery - it is ignited electricallly but burns diesel albeit not a lot it seems. It will not switch on if the diesel in the tank is low.

Warms the water and thus the engine block and the interior so seems great to me even in warmer climates.

I have to admit in the UK it seems an unusual option and is not well understood by the dealers in general.

Steven
Old 01-25-2014, 12:56 PM

Interesting, I am curious if auxiliary heating will work whenever my X5d is delivered. Hopefully the dealer is wrong.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Nope no auxiliary heating for the USDM.

You can thank the legal dep of bmwusa

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-25-2014, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
Option #536 auxiliary heating with remote control. I believe this is not available in the US. Had this in 530d in Europe and I wanted to order this for E70 - not possible. The only explanation I can think of is the emission standards / requirements.

WTB: spare tire kit