Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-11-2013, 06:24 AM
jholl016 jholl016 is offline
Registered User
Location: Hampton, VA
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: '05 BMW 530i
Another Active Steering Question

I've searched these forums for hours, reading countless posts about Active Steering failures, but I haven't found what I need, so hopefully someone can offer some insight...

My e60 is reporting Active Steering malfunction and has been for some time now. I tried all the quick & easy fixes (resetting the system, having the battery/alternator checked), but no luck. I took it to an indy mechanic who found fault codes on the steering angle sensor. After saving up some cash for a month, I had him replace the SAS, but the active steering is still malfunctioning. Now he's telling me that the DSC module is also throwing fault codes that weren't there previously.

I have noticed that on especially colder mornings, the active steering will often work fine for about 3-5 minutes until the car warms up, at which point the system deactivates again. For those 3-5 minutes, the system works perfectly. Since the system does work properly on occasion, it leads me to believe that there might not necessarily be something wrong with the computer circuit in the DSC module, and there certainly doesn't seem to be a total pump failure.

Can anyone offer any insight into a possible alternative solution before I pay my mechanic $1400 to replace the DSC module? I know engine fluids behave very differently at extreme temperatures, so my inclination is to think that may be the issue. Is there any reason that an Active Steering system would work fine when the power steering fluid is cold (more viscous), but malfunction once the fluid heats up a bit?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-11-2013, 05:58 PM
dwlink's Avatar
dwlink dwlink is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: St. Louis
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,376
Mein Auto: 530i
Have you checked the level of your power steering fluid?
__________________
2004 BMW 530i (his) -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (his-planned) -Estoril Blue -Black Dakota -Aluminum Hex -Premium -Cold Weather -Technology -Lighting -HK Sound
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 PM
bimmerfan52 bimmerfan52 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 788
Mein Auto: 545i
Also monitor your running electrical system voltage. Voltage regulator failures in their early stages can be very intermittent.

Buy a cigarette lighter voltmeter so you can monitor the voltage constantly from the driver's seat.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 AM
jholl016 jholl016 is offline
Registered User
Location: Hampton, VA
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: '05 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
Have you checked the level of your power steering fluid?
I checked it yesterday. It might have been a little on the high side, so I removed some excess to get it below the MAX line. This morning, active steering again worked for the first few minutes during a drive to the grocery store. When I started the car to leave the grocery store, it deactivated again. So, consistent with my previous experience: works only with a cold engine.

I bought this car last November, so I have no idea when the last power steering fluid flush was. I've ordered some Pentosin CHF 11S and a new reservior. I'll try to flush the system this weekend. It might not make any difference, but it can't hurt, right?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2013, 06:47 AM
jholl016 jholl016 is offline
Registered User
Location: Hampton, VA
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: '05 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
Also monitor your running electrical system voltage. Voltage regulator failures in their early stages can be very intermittent.

Buy a cigarette lighter voltmeter so you can monitor the voltage constantly from the driver's seat.
I had the battery and alternator checked by a BMW mechanic. I told him about the wealth of info on this site that shows the electrical system as a failure point for Active Steering issues. He said that everything checked out fine. Do you still think I should buy a voltage monitor? If so, what voltage range should I expect to see from a healthy system? Are all cigarette lighters 12V?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2013, 05:32 PM
tahmadoff tahmadoff is offline
Registered User
Location: brooklyn
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: bmw 550i 08
Another Active Steering Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholl016 View Post
I've searched these forums for hours, reading countless posts about Active Steering failures, but I haven't found what I need, so hopefully someone can offer some insight...

My e60 is reporting Active Steering malfunction and has been for some time now. I tried all the quick & easy fixes (resetting the system, having the battery/alternator checked), but no luck. I took it to an indy mechanic who found fault codes on the steering angle sensor. After saving up some cash for a month, I had him replace the SAS, but the active steering is still malfunctioning. Now he's telling me that the DSC module is also throwing fault codes that weren't there previously.

I have noticed that on especially colder mornings, the active steering will often work fine for about 3-5 minutes until the car warms up, at which point the system deactivates again. For those 3-5 minutes, the system works perfectly. Since the system does work properly on occasion, it leads me to believe that there might not necessarily be something wrong with the computer circuit in the DSC module, and there certainly doesn't seem to be a total pump failure.

Can anyone offer any insight into a possible alternative solution before I pay my mechanic $1400 to replace the DSC module? I know engine fluids behave very differently at extreme temperatures, so my inclination is to think that may be the issue. Is there any reason that an Active Steering system would work fine when the power steering fluid is cold (more viscous), but malfunction once the fluid heats up a bit?
Did u have any alignments done maybe the steering wheel is not centered with the alignment have your mechanic hook it up to the computer and check it out I believe it's suppose to be 0


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms