Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-11-2013, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 530i
Another Active Steering Question

I've searched these forums for hours, reading countless posts about Active Steering failures, but I haven't found what I need, so hopefully someone can offer some insight...

My e60 is reporting Active Steering malfunction and has been for some time now. I tried all the quick & easy fixes (resetting the system, having the battery/alternator checked), but no luck. I took it to an indy mechanic who found fault codes on the steering angle sensor. After saving up some cash for a month, I had him replace the SAS, but the active steering is still malfunctioning. Now he's telling me that the DSC module is also throwing fault codes that weren't there previously.

I have noticed that on especially colder mornings, the active steering will often work fine for about 3-5 minutes until the car warms up, at which point the system deactivates again. For those 3-5 minutes, the system works perfectly. Since the system does work properly on occasion, it leads me to believe that there might not necessarily be something wrong with the computer circuit in the DSC module, and there certainly doesn't seem to be a total pump failure.

Can anyone offer any insight into a possible alternative solution before I pay my mechanic $1400 to replace the DSC module? I know engine fluids behave very differently at extreme temperatures, so my inclination is to think that may be the issue. Is there any reason that an Active Steering system would work fine when the power steering fluid is cold (more viscous), but malfunction once the fluid heats up a bit?
Ads by Google
Old 11-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
Have you checked the level of your power steering fluid?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Also monitor your running electrical system voltage. Voltage regulator failures in their early stages can be very intermittent.

Buy a cigarette lighter voltmeter so you can monitor the voltage constantly from the driver's seat.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
Have you checked the level of your power steering fluid?
I checked it yesterday. It might have been a little on the high side, so I removed some excess to get it below the MAX line. This morning, active steering again worked for the first few minutes during a drive to the grocery store. When I started the car to leave the grocery store, it deactivated again. So, consistent with my previous experience: works only with a cold engine.

I bought this car last November, so I have no idea when the last power steering fluid flush was. I've ordered some Pentosin CHF 11S and a new reservior. I'll try to flush the system this weekend. It might not make any difference, but it can't hurt, right?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
Also monitor your running electrical system voltage. Voltage regulator failures in their early stages can be very intermittent.

Buy a cigarette lighter voltmeter so you can monitor the voltage constantly from the driver's seat.
I had the battery and alternator checked by a BMW mechanic. I told him about the wealth of info on this site that shows the electrical system as a failure point for Active Steering issues. He said that everything checked out fine. Do you still think I should buy a voltage monitor? If so, what voltage range should I expect to see from a healthy system? Are all cigarette lighters 12V?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 550i 08
Another Active Steering Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholl016 View Post
I've searched these forums for hours, reading countless posts about Active Steering failures, but I haven't found what I need, so hopefully someone can offer some insight...

My e60 is reporting Active Steering malfunction and has been for some time now. I tried all the quick & easy fixes (resetting the system, having the battery/alternator checked), but no luck. I took it to an indy mechanic who found fault codes on the steering angle sensor. After saving up some cash for a month, I had him replace the SAS, but the active steering is still malfunctioning. Now he's telling me that the DSC module is also throwing fault codes that weren't there previously.

I have noticed that on especially colder mornings, the active steering will often work fine for about 3-5 minutes until the car warms up, at which point the system deactivates again. For those 3-5 minutes, the system works perfectly. Since the system does work properly on occasion, it leads me to believe that there might not necessarily be something wrong with the computer circuit in the DSC module, and there certainly doesn't seem to be a total pump failure.

Can anyone offer any insight into a possible alternative solution before I pay my mechanic $1400 to replace the DSC module? I know engine fluids behave very differently at extreme temperatures, so my inclination is to think that may be the issue. Is there any reason that an Active Steering system would work fine when the power steering fluid is cold (more viscous), but malfunction once the fluid heats up a bit?
Did u have any alignments done maybe the steering wheel is not centered with the alignment have your mechanic hook it up to the computer and check it out I believe it's suppose to be 0

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app