Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
You're kidding right? If you are worried about adding 2-3 feet of minimum stopping distance then you shouldn't carry passengers in your car (adding passenger weight increases stopping distance).

And I hope you don't let your tires wear. Tire Rack tested a BMW with new tires (10/32" tread depth) and then tires still considered good at 4/32" tread depth. Stopping distance for 70mph to zero on new tires was was 195ft, compared to 290ft for the 4/32" tread depth (almost a 100ft difference).

Too many factors are involved in stopping distance to worry about a 2-3 foot difference based on brake pads.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=85
Tire Rack did not test brake systems, but tires with varying tread depths in a simulated hydroplaning situation.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 11-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend700 View Post
Tire Rack did not test brake systems, but tires with varying tread depths in a simulated hydroplaning situation.
I never said they tested braking systems. They tested BRAKING DISTANCES with the tires being the variable factor.

Tire Rack tested only one of the many factors, including brake pads (and correct bedding), disc condition, brake fluid condition, suspension condition, weight of car (including passengers and cargo), tire type and tire wear (especially unusual wear), proper wheel/tire balance, road surface and any lubricants such as water, oil or a combination thereof, ALL figure into minimum stopping distance. Many of these factors have a far greater effect on minimum stopping distances than brake pad material, and nearly all are changing (read deteriorating) constantly in a car driven on a daily basis.

My point was that taking only one factor, brake pad material and saying that there is only one best choice based on shaving a theoretical 2 or 3 feet off a stopping distance is a myopic approach.

Last edited by bimmerfan52; 11-10-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 PM

Reverting to brake pad material, the topic of this thread, and presuming that all other variables are the same, I prefer the OEM pads for their solid feel and initial bite. The extra brake dust is not a deterrent since my yearly mileage is only 7 to 8K miles/year and the dust never accumulates and cleaning the wheels is therefore easy. If they stop quicker, better yet.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 AM

And further reverting to the OPs original subject of clean wheels, the brake dust drives me nuts. For me it accumulates in a matter of 30-40 miles.

I put ceramics on my wife's Lexus and have seen a significant reduction in brake dust, with seemingly no loss of stopping power.

And I never have liked the "bite" of the OE pads as anything more than a gentle feathering of the brake pedal when coming to a stop is a jerky experience.

I will certainly switch to ceramic when my pads are due to be changed and look forward to a more linear pedal response.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: '10 535i
Quote:
And further reverting to the OPs original subject of clean wheels, the brake dust drives me nuts. For me it accumulates in a matter of 30-40 miles.

I put ceramics on my wife's Lexus and have seen a significant reduction in brake dust, with seemingly no loss of stopping power.

And I never have liked the "bite" of the OE pads as anything more than a gentle feathering of the brake pedal when coming to a stop is a jerky experience.

I will certainly switch to ceramic when my pads are due to be changed and look forward to a more linear pedal response.

This is actually an annoyance to me as well... when I try to roll to a stop at red lights suddenly the OE brakes grab causing a sudden jerky stop.
I wasn't even considering ceramic pads up until you mentioned this. Now I have to seriously consider these pads to fix the jerkiness with the bonus of cleaner wheels.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:34 AM

Just returned from a 25 mile ride to check out my new Cobb AP tune and during the final cool down period on local roads with many lights and intersections paid special attention to braking behavior when coming to a full stop. No jerky stops. I seem to remember when first getting the car, I noticed some grabbing of the pads, and I am still on the same ones, and after 42K miles with 50K more to go (according to iDrive).

Maybe with the new aggressive tune installed, pads will be eaten up pretty quickly.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 AM

@ncBeemer:
Not to hijack the thread. I just noticed that you have the Cobb Stg 1 Aggr tune installed. How long have you had it, and how are the plugs, coils, and turbos holding up?

2008 535i Monaco Blue
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 11-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: '10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend700 View Post
@ncBeemer:
Not to hijack the thread. I just noticed that you have the Cobb Stg 1 Aggr tune installed. How long have you had it, and how are the plugs, coils, and turbos holding up?
I've only had Cobb AP for about 4 months.
I have not replaced plugs, coils or turbos thus far. I have no idea how they are holding up but from other threads here as well as elsewhere seems like the tune is fairly safe (only time will tell). Though I plan on replacing plugs soon.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: E60 530i
akebono brake pads are the ish !
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Finally! Clean Wheels!!!

Quote:

The ceramics actually perform BETTER than the oem's on my Corvette. My son has the dusting on his Porshe Panamera. He likes what he sees on my car with the ceramics and is now seriously considering ceramics for his car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-11-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmbl View Post
The ceramics actually perform BETTER than the oem's on my Corvette. My son has the dusting on his Porshe Panamera. He likes what he sees on my car with the ceramics and is now seriously considering ceramics for his car.

I used EBC Red Stuff pads on the SC430. Pretty pricey, but they are solid. Which brand did you use on the Vette?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:21 PM

Finally! Clean Wheels!!!

Quote:
I used EBC Red Stuff pads on the SC430. Pretty pricey, but they are solid. Which brand did you use on the Vette?
I had GM ceramics installed on the Vette 4 years ago because of the incessant squealing from the oem's. No problems from the ceramics, and the chrome wheels stay shiny!!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 PM

Finally! Clean Wheels!!!

Quote:
How do those perform? What about dust, noise? I ordered the complete set of Akebonos online for about $150. I'm happy to switch brands, though, when I replace oem's on the wife's 535i if another works as well for a better price.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmbl View Post
How do those perform? What about dust, noise? I ordered the complete set of Akebonos online for about $150. I'm happy to switch brands, though, when I replace oem's on the wife's 535i if another works as well for a better price.

A little more dust than I expected, but it is really like throwing out four anchors when you mash the brake pedal. Nice linear feel and no noise.

I later used Akebonos on my daughter's Altima coupe and they really work well too (and it seems less dust than the Red Stuff).

Tough call.