Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-12-2013, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
Question replace cd player with LCD sat/nav screen.

Hi
I have a bmw x5 2002 model. It has a 6 stacker cd unit in the trunk and a business cd player on the dash with the radio. I was wondering if I could upgrade to a satnav, tv, dvd,touch screen, multimedia, reverse camera, large monitor thing? Would it be just plug and play (as some ads say)or is my car just not equipped with the correct wiring to change this? does anyone know? Dont want to purchase the kick-ass screen if the wiring has to be changed throughout the car. Maybe someone out there has done this, whats the pros and cons? should i even bother? Thanks, Sally
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
How you do it depends on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcochrane View Post
Hi
I have a bmw x5 2002 model. It has a 6 stacker cd unit in the trunk and a business cd player on the dash with the radio. I was wondering if I could upgrade to a satnav, tv, dvd,touch screen, multimedia, reverse camera, large monitor thing? Would it be just plug and play (as some ads say)or is my car just not equipped with the correct wiring to change this? does anyone know? Dont want to purchase the kick-ass screen if the wiring has to be changed throughout the car. Maybe someone out there has done this, whats the pros and cons? should i even bother? Thanks, Sally
You did not mention if you have NAV or DSP. Assuming not, you will find a unit such as Dynavin is pretty much PnP and works with upgrades you might wish to add. You still have to pull wires when you add a back up camera. My X5 had the bordmonitor and radio in the back. I had the adventure of running cables and trying to get an Eonon D5124F unit to work. Avoid the $400 Eonon. You may get a few options to work, but the unit itself is poorly engineered.

I then paid the Dynavin price. Still had to do all the work, but it works, is well documented and supported, and if your native language is US English, English English or Deutsch you will get great support. Eonon has no such capability. I cannot speak to any other units.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2013, 03:18 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
replace cd player with LCD sat/nav screen.

Thanks for your post. It was extremely informative and useful. Just doing my homework on them now. Appreciate your info for things to consider. Cheers

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app