Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-12-2013, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMWs: '01 X5, '03 540/6,
Transmission Heat Exchanger

I use my 4.4 X5 to pull a boat, sometimes. Not a big boat, maybe 2300 lbs., boat, motor and trailer. (With 300 hp and full-time 4-wheel drive, I have no problem pulling the boat up a slimy ramp!) If it's a hot day (here in Florida) and a long trip, the transmission refuses to shift, and I end up going down the highway in 3rd gear at 3500 RPM. Other threads lead me to believe that the transmission heat exchanger is not doing its job, and the tranny oil is overheating. Is there a DIY thread on this problem? Can I just remove it, flush it out, and replace it? It's $350 for a new one.

The tranny was replaced about two years ago, with a factory re-build, so I don't think it's a tranny problem.

I can obviously take it out, figure out the problem, take some pictures, and write a DIY thread myself, but I'd rather not invent the wheel, if I don't have to!

Thanks!

Bruce
Ads by Google
Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Flush your coolant every 2-yr.
the hheat-exchanger is not the problem unless it leaks.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Cold also be the thermostat in the expansion tank. It directs flow through the cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
That thermostat for the M62 is actually on the lower right side of the radiator. The trannys are a weak spot on the 4.4i.
I've had two rebuilds, three flushes, one thermostat change. I've towed a few things in the past the heaviest being a 3600lbs car/trailer. I'm at 198,000 miles and going (although not strong).