Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport
Unhappy BMW 535i xDrive Waste gate rattle

Hello,

I have 2010 BMW 535i xDrive, completely stock. I have been hearing the rattle from the waste gate for sometime now, took it to the dealership and they said "it's normal, the waste gate is normally a loud component" and I should keep driving it. The rattling has now gotten much worse and it's pretty annoying; sounds like a garbage disposal. I also feel like I am not getting enough boost but I think I might just have a preconceived notion. I was just thinking about buying the cobb accessport and hooking it up, but i feel like this would make things worse and stress the turbos. I know the waste gate is external. Can this be changed, as supposed to a new turbo? or is there any alternative to fixing this noise... Tightening the actuator arms, maybe?

I welcome all suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	407372  

Last edited by Damzz; 11-13-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Grammar
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW M5
How many miles do you have? There is a warranty extension on the turbos upto 82k miles for this exact problem. You need to complain to the dealer and tell them the noise is unacceptable. This is a known design defect in the wastegate design. You should get a pair of new turbos.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1947 View Post
How many miles do you have? There is a warranty extension on the turbos upto 82k miles for this exact problem. You need to complain to the dealer and tell them the noise is unacceptable. This is a known design defect in the wastegate design. You should get a pair of new turbos.
Yes, I read up on that. However, I have 86K miles on it already. I have extended warranty up to 100K, but they won't fix it because "it's not broken and still works" . I tried arguing the fact that, being out of spec is broken, no dice. The service rep told me and i quote "Drive it till it breaks down, then there is no excuse for warranty not to fix it" WTF?!

Last edited by Damzz; 11-13-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ZLTFUL
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
That's the exact same thing I got when I took mine in for surging power delivery and noisy turbos/wastegate.
I personally think that the $tealership is trying to hold out until the warranty is up and then say OMG...you shoulda done this while in warranty!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damzz View Post
Hello,

I have 2010 BMW 535i xDrive, completely stock. I have been hearing the rattle from the waste gate for sometime now, took it to the dealership and they said "it's normal, the waste gate is normally a loud component" and I should keep driving it. The rattling has now gotten much worse and it's pretty annoying; sounds like a garbage disposal. I also feel like I am not getting enough boost but I think I might just have a preconceived notion. I was just thinking about buying the cobb accessport and hooking it up, but i feel like this would make things worse and stress the turbos. I know the waste gate is external. Can this be changed, as supposed to a new turbo? or is there any alternative to fixing this noise... Tightening the actuator arms, maybe?

I welcome all suggestions.
The wastegate is an integral part of the turbo in our car, most turbos nowadays are like that anyway (gone the day where wastegate can be swap out while keeping the ole turbo shell).
The best way is to run some diganostic S/W like BT (put it in live capture) and drive it. You can see the log of boost target and real boost to make sure your turbos are still good.
The S/W solution is to decrease the duty-cycle of the wastegate through the solenoid but can you spell TURBO-LAG, no good.

I am on 55k mile and always follow coll-down and warm-up routine, coming from ole turbo owner I guess. So far my wastegates are silent, knock on woods. I heard new turbos plus labor on N54 are $3-4K.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
That's correct HPIA4v2 on cost!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
The wastegate is an integral part of the turbo in our car, most turbos nowadays are like that anyway (gone the day where wastegate can be swap out while keeping the ole turbo shell).
The best way is to run some diganostic S/W like BT (put it in live capture) and drive it. You can see the log of boost target and real boost to make sure your turbos are still good.
The S/W solution is to decrease the duty-cycle of the wastegate through the solenoid but can you spell TURBO-LAG, no good.

I am on 55k mile and always follow coll-down and warm-up routine, coming from ole turbo owner I guess. So far my wastegates are silent, knock on woods. I heard new turbos plus labor on N54 are $3-4K.
Hey, yes I understand. I too follow the cool down and warm up routine, especially living in the East coast. Yeaa, I can't afford the $3-4k right now. I mean, you can't hear them when you're in the car with the windows up and heat running and radio on, but you will hear it when if the windows should go down.

Last edited by Damzz; 11-14-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 PM

There is also a ticking noise coming from the engine and BMW also says that is normal and it is the injectors. The injectors tick on these cars? Anyone else have this problem?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
The exhaust valve also rattle at start up and cold idle.

The wastegate more like rev-down, so did you hear the metalic rattling when you rev the engine, say to 4k rpm (then hear the metalic rattle coming from the passenger side engine bay when the engine goes back to idle speed).
Not much we can help if your car doe that.

My parking brake on 535i squeaks, when set and I am getting out of the park car, and my SA told me nothing he can do.
Same situation on my 335i shock bump stop, which squeaks when I hit speed bump rather hard.
Cause in all my situation everything still work fine and per spec per BMWNA.
like many people with burning oil every 1k-mile, BMWNA will not get them new engine.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:50 AM

Wink

So BMW won't replace my turbos unless it starts to break down and give a reduced power code. That is asinine cause the rattle is very loud. Does anyone know how to kill the waste gates and turbo to give the reduced power code? Lol. I thought about cutting the oil line off to the turbo but that is easily noticed.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damzz View Post
So BMW won't replace my turbos unless it starts to break down and give a reduced power code. That is asinine cause the rattle is very loud. Does anyone know how to kill the waste gates and turbo to give the reduced power code? Lol. I thought about cutting the oil line off to the turbo but that is easily noticed.
Yeah sometimes it is difficult to get them to get them to replace the turbos. A big part is if you have a relationship with a SA at the dealer. The 2 guys I have for SA's are pretty cool and will help me out. In sept I mentioned that I would get a boost leak 30ff code periodically but that I accidentally erased the fault code this time. They then had the tech test the vacuum lines and the wastegates. Bingo, the tech said the wastegates were just out of spec and 2 days later I got new turbos. Maybe reach out to the local bimmer community out there to find a good SA that will go to bat for you.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E45 map, Performance Gearing LSD.