Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
BMW and Toyota to build a joint supercar.
Bernie@Bimmerfest
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by Bernie@Bimmerfest

”lfa”

Looks like BMW and Toyota have settled on their ideas for a joint supercar. This venture will take the Lexus LFA and rethink it as a hybrid supercar. Sounds exciting.

These days supercar makers are being more emissions conscious. They are fitting hybrid and electric powertrains to their cars, that provide all the punch of a super car, but are better for the environment. The McLaren P1 and the Ferrari La Ferrari are great examples. The choice of the LFA package, utilized as a hybrid, could bring Toyota up to speed in the hybrid supercar market. I'm sure it would also save them money and time in development too.

But what else would each of the companies bring to the table in this joint development? Toyota would be the supplier of the hybrid technology, since they have already experimented with high-performance hybrid powertrains for the Lexus LS 600h. They also have carbon-fiber chassis and body experience, from the development of the LFA, as well V10 engine expertise.

BMW, on the other hand, is known for it's engines. Their 4.4 liter turbo V8 out of the M5 produces the same power as the LFA's V10, but uses less fuel and emits less CO2. Just what a project like this needs. BMW also has carbon-fiber expertise on a mass production scale, from the production of the i3.

I guess both companies will have to fight it out for the chassis development?

In the end BMW and Toyota will have to come together to make this car something that looks and handles like a $300k supercar.

I'm excited to see what they come up with. What do you think?

Source Motoring.com.au

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i8lfa.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	407470  

This article has been viewed 613 times.