Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 11-10-2013, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 735i
1989 735i trans issues

I have a 1989 735i that i have been having some issues with. The transmission starts off in first gear goes until it redlines then violently shifts into 4th gear and doesnt come out of 4th until i turn my car off and let start it again. And when i try and shift it to a lower gear manually it doesnt engage. And when i shift it either into reverse or park the entire car jerks heavily and after i do that and put it back into drive it stays in 4th gear. And today it did that and after turning the car off for the 5th time i put it in drive and hit the throttle and it revved high and suddenly jerked and went. It felt like i was first starting to learn to drive manual but this beemer is automatic! I read that it could be a certain solenoid or something relatively easy. if anybody knows anything to try before i have to go out and buy a new trans i would greatly appreciate any knowledge or ideas how to maybe fix it. thank you so much in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 11-14-2013, 11:15 PM
BMW ****

Mein Auto: 1987 735i
Do you know what trans it is? It sounds like the transmission is going into fail-safe mode. Is the fluid full? When was the last time it was serviced? Some guys say dumping a quart of lucas transmission fix and changing the fluid can fix it. I personally don't believe in the 'mechanic in a can' but, if your tranny is toast what's it going to hurt? If I recall depending on the transmission there is sometimes issues with the filter collapsing, solenoids sticking, or valves sticking. I don't think a new trans is necessary, usually just a valve body replacement/rebuild does the trick.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 735i
It is an e32 6 bolt automatic tramsmission. The fluid is full I did it about a month ago yesterday I took the pan off and the filter off and sprayed a lot of cleaner in hopes it would at least help the problem. I am putting it back together today