Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: '99 323is
I just started getting a metalic squeaking noise during engine braking or reversing. The sound is metalic and related to wheel speed. It only occurs during engine braking or reversing, if I push in the clutch during decel it stops. Any thoughts on this? Took a quick peek to see if there was anything rubbing the driveshaft but didn't see anything close. I figure a wheel bearing would squeal during accel as well. Its likely a drivetrain component but I'm not sure how to narrow it down.

1999 BMW 323is | 1990 Ford Mustang GT
Old 10-31-2013, 08:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: what ever starts
Can you elaborate on the sound. Is it like a pad against a rotor? Is the pitch the same when it appears? Did it just start or is it an issue that might have been some thing that has slowly deteriorated?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 AM

If the car rolls in reverse is the sound gone
Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 AM

Do you have access to a suitable jack? Start simple and check your bearings and hubs for wobble. After thinking about it for a while I would guess drive shaft related so check all of that also.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:49 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
The torque on the drive train is the same when you engine brake or reverse. I'd be looking at my engine and tranny mounts. You might have one that's deteriorated and it's allowing the engine/tranny to shift enough that a rotating part is able to contact something. It could be drive shaft to heat shield contact. The other place to look would be the cooling fan to the fan shroud, but I wouldn't expect that to make a metallic noise......
Old 11-01-2013, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Hi,

I have a rhythmic thrumming noise at 45-50mph that i can only hear at 45 50mph. mech thought it was a bearing but then they looked at bearings with an instrument and said theyre perfectly fine and its probably my tires... had tires looked at quickly by someone else and they said they have about 1/2 treadlife left... the car may need an alignment as it does seem to travel left/right semi aggresively when both hands are off wheel... any suggestions on the noise? Any sound clips of the "helicopter noise?"
Old 11-07-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
Can you elaborate on the sound. Is it like a pad against a rotor? Is the pitch the same when it appears? Did it just start or is it an issue that might have been some thing that has slowly deteriorated?
It is almost like a pad against rotor when your pad is extremely worn and the backing plate is digging into the rotor. The sound is the same as that, except less severe at this point. It does not happen when the car rolls in reverse. Only when there is reversing torque on the drivetrain. It also has a humming noise occasionally on acceleration. A noise deciphering website has me thinking pinion and/or stub-shaft bearings. Unfortunately I don't have access to a jack that can lift both rear wheels at the moment. I bought a house recently with a garage but don't move until Dec. 11th so I'm really hoping to nurse the car along until then and I'll probably just go crazy and swap LSD's, Guibo, CSB and check all mounts - unless I can pinpoint the issue before then.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:34 AM

Well... I broke down and picked up another LSD for the car. Had it installed and lo and behold, the problem still persists, although now its making a knocking noise on decel rather than screeching. Mechanic noticed the CV shafts did not move smoothly and also mentioned the rear U-Joint was worn... Going to be an expensive fix especially considering I already spent $725 on the LSD swap. I see Rockauto sells CV shafts cheap, will probably give those a shot and possibly pick up a used driveshaft.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 318i Cabriolet
I got a very consistent clink coming out of the right rear shock area. Happens as i go over bumps or holes. Shock mount is fine, shock is new.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:09 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Pull the wheel, examine the suspension parts for contact marks.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 318i Cabriolet
I pulled the wheel, looked around, nothing looks worn or broken, no wear marks visible. I could not take a good visual of the RTAB though. The whole area looks like is has not been worked on for a while, the clay from the previous owner's access road is evenly stuck to every part. Minimal, if any rust on the suspension components. I have to run the car again, to listen closely to the rear right clunk.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 320i
Hi, I have a 320i with a known bad diff (worn out bearings LOTS of play on output shafts-waiting for second one to show up) have the odd thump/clunk from rear, will do it on a strait smooth road, then over a bump, then drive over lots of bumps with no noise but the diff whining, hope its the diff but wanted to get a second opinion.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:58 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Rear of the car in the air, safely supported

Large flat-blade screwdriver or small pry bar

Use tool to try and move bushings around.

If they move, replace them

If none move, look at your upper shock mounts. They can be torn enough to move under a single impact, then not move again until an impact of sufficient force dislodges them again.

Worst case is the upper shock mount connection with the shock tower/body is ripped.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 05-25-2014, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: E36 325i 1993
Been hearing a clunking noise from the back of my E36, sounds almost like a huge metal object hitting something in the trunk, but its not that
Happens most of the time when I turn, sometimes when accelerating hard when at high rpm and a low gear.
Skeptical about the idea of both the axle joints failing at the same time, since I find that highly unlikely ?
Ideas ?
Old 05-25-2014, 05:03 PM

Could be your camber bolts. When if at all have your rtab's been changed?
Old 05-25-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Could be your camber bolts. When if at all have your rtab's been changed?
What are these RTAB's exactly ?
Sorry I am not English, and therefore I am not really good with car parts in a foreign language, got a pic of these on an E36 ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:11 PM

Ignore my previous post, google is a really helpful tool :P
I have no idea if they have ever been changed, I am going to check them ASAP !
Thanks for the idea !
Old 05-25-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteinarg View Post
Been hearing a clunking noise from the back of my E36, sounds almost like a huge metal object hitting something in the trunk, but its not that
Happens most of the time when I turn, sometimes when accelerating hard when at high rpm and a low gear.
Skeptical about the idea of both the axle joints failing at the same time, since I find that highly unlikely ?
Ideas ?
You should inspect the rear sub frame mounting locations also. On both E36s and E46s failures in the body sheet metal around these mounting points is a known issue. More so on the E46s but still something to check on an E36 anytime there's a clunking or thumping in the rear area.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:28 AM

Also agree with what DC has posted. Here is a good link for diagrams and parts.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...44&hg=33&fg=30

Bottom line is, you are going to have to do some research. Camber bolt is number 10 in the suspension diagram.
You can look at your shock mounts by removing your wheels or take the weight off the suspension so there is a larger gap between the tire and the fender well. I replaced all of my bushings but did not replace the blots. When the bolts began to go there was a pretty loud bang when it unloaded..

Take a look around under there and remember that you might not have enough strength to replicate the movement so a pry bar might help. Do you have a mechanical skills? If it is not your shock mounts everything else is relatively easy.

Good luck
Old 05-26-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Also agree with what DC has posted. Here is a good link for diagrams and parts.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...44&hg=33&fg=30

Bottom line is, you are going to have to do some research. Camber bolt is number 10 in the suspension diagram.
You can look at your shock mounts by removing your wheels or take the weight off the suspension so there is a larger gap between the tire and the fender well. I replaced all of my bushings but did not replace the blots. When the bolts began to go there was a pretty loud bang when it unloaded..

Take a look around under there and remember that you might not have enough strength to replicate the movement so a pry bar might help. Do you have a mechanical skills? If it is not your shock mounts everything else is relatively easy.

Good luck
Recently put coilovers in, top mounts were mint, replaced the camber bolts too, so I knew that wasnt the problem, I am aware of some cracking in the subframe mounts, but not alot, 1 crack and a little rust, reinforcement plates will be welded in as soon as the car stops breaking down lol, just had the engine changed
There were 3 things that were a possibility when this noise started happening, axle joint/s. As this happened after some drifting and fooling around. Subframe toast, or the main bushings in the rear, turned out to be the RTABS !
Ordered new ones, Polyurethane, well because... Racecar :P
I have some mechanical skills yes, working at a shop atm.
A pic of one of my bushings. Anyone want to buy them ? 500 $ shipped !
Thank god I didnt get the wheel alignment I was scheduled for today !
Old 05-26-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteinarg View Post
Recently put coilovers in, top mounts were mint, replaced the camber bolts too, so I knew that wasnt the problem, I am aware of some cracking in the subframe mounts, but not alot, 1 crack and a little rust, reinforcement plates will be welded in as soon as the car stops breaking down lol, just had the engine changed
There were 3 things that were a possibility when this noise started happening, axle joint/s. As this happened after some drifting and fooling around. Subframe toast, or the main bushings in the rear, turned out to be the RTABS !
Ordered new ones, Polyurethane, well because... Racecar :P
I have some mechanical skills yes, working at a shop atm.
A pic of one of my bushings. Anyone want to buy them ? 500 $ shipped !
Thank god I didnt get the wheel alignment I was scheduled for today !
Yep, that looks like it's a bit tired. When you put in the coilovers did you install the Rogue Engineering RSMs or something similar? If not I'd strongly consider it if you're running coilovers in the rear.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:46 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Yep, that looks like it's a bit tired. When you put in the coilovers did you install the Rogue Engineering RSMs or something similar? If not I'd strongly consider it with any suspension you're putting in the rear at all.
ftfy Don

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 05-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
ftfy don
+1!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: Passat
Thorsteinarg

You should start by checking your control arms or the bushings withing the suspension.
noises like that sometimes come from there.
Then again the tranny drums or tcc can be rattling.
Just wild guesses. duh
Old 05-28-2014, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: Passat
Hnaz I like your comment are you a college grad or something you sound really mature? LOL