Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 335I
What car to choose from ATS, A4, 3 Series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
The current Passat uses the B7 chassis and the A4 the B8 chassis. In addition the Audi has a longitudinal engine and the Passat a transverse.
The current passat does not use an Audi chassis in fact the chassis in passet is basically a longer version of the Jetta chassis. The only time passat share an a4 chassis was from 1997-2004 when the passat was based on the B5 A4 platform

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-17-2013, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
This is an excellent thread; I'm cross shopping the IS350, 335i, and the ATS 3.6... The ATS by far had the best steering response (perfectly weighted) and suspension, I just didn't like the interior and the quality of materials used, I also felt that it was a bit jerky during shifts, please note that I'm comparing automatic transmissions across the board.

The IS350 has the best seating position and seats EVER in my opinion (I'm 5' 7"). Something about that car it just flows together very well. I've been back and forth between the IS350 and the 335i and it was a very difficult call for me and this coming for a German car fan boy. I couldn't make up my mind so I rented the IS350 for a couple days and here is why I won't be buying one...

-the lack of low end torque
-traction control kicks in way too early and often
-Skinny steering wheel and felt light to me (could be a Lexus thing)
-Center console looks cheap for the amount of money I'm paying
-To get the options I want, I will have to go F sport and I'm not a big fan of the tacky LCD video game like cluster
-I didn't like the mouse controller

overall I felt like the car needed more power

therefore I decided to go with the 335i. I'm not saying that it's perfect but its a purchase that I won't regret. I will even go for a 328 sport-line over the IS350
Old 11-17-2013, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 528I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Honestly, I would pick neither. If you enjoy driving save your self some money and pick up a CPO E9x N54 335i or better yet pick yourself a CPO E9x M3 for the same or close to same price. Heck in fact if you want to save even more money get yourself a nice E46 M3 or E39 M5.

If some one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy one of these 3 car choices you posted. Then take the 320i with M-sport or go with base ATS sport. If you ask why?...... then my answer is you will regret it in a year when the newness of these cars will wear off and you will come to realization that for a lot less money you could have picked up a more unique and fun car instead of the drab offering created to please the masses.

USA 320 comes with sport package, not m-sport. However, I think the sport package looks great. Nice wheels on it.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilusv View Post
This is an excellent thread; I'm cross shopping the IS350, 335i, and the ATS 3.6...

I see no Volkswagen product in your listing. A mistake in my opinion, you should at least drive a new GTI. Then, a refined and smoothly aggressive Audi.

Cap your shopping with Porsche - you'll be well rewarded. Compare to BMW - how do you feel?
Old 11-17-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
I see no Volkswagen product in your listing. A mistake in my opinion, you should at least drive a new GTI. Then, a refined and smoothly aggressive Audi.

Cap your shopping with Porsche - you'll be well rewarded. Compare to BMW - how do you feel?
Porsche is on the list... I'm looking for a pre-owned Carrera S for around 55K as well but nothing good is turning up. I read that the MK7 GTI will have a mechanical limited slip differential so it's worth checking out.

Which Audi do you have in mind?
Old 11-22-2013, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328xi
I was in the same boat looking for a car about a month ago. I started at the Audi dealership and test drove the A4. Love the styling of the car. The ride was "ok". Then went to the Cadillac dealership. The salesman was in his upper 50's, and really didn't give me the time of day. I told him I was looking to trade in my 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited, and he said I'd be better off selling it privately. I was baffled, and didn't even test drive the ATS, as I left the dealership. Then I went to the BMW dealership and test drove the 328xi. It put a smile on my face, as the acceleration was much better. I felt much more "connected" to the road, making for a great driving experience. I wanted to look at a CPO to see what a '10 or '11 felt like, kind of skeptical of a 4 cylinder. The one they had on their lot sold earlier that day, so I never got a comparison. But I was most impressed by the way the N20 makes you forget you're driving a 4 banger. Although the A4 looked a bit more luxurious interior wise, the handling and driving experience won me over in the 328xi.

Last edited by jeepn30; 11-22-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:09 AM
It means bright red

Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30

You are kind if asking multiple things.

ATS tends to have the best lease deals in terms of price, at least where I am.

Everything else is very subjective.

I HATE the hood line on the F30, everything else I love.

I honestly would have gotten an ATS, but CUE is awful, back seat is smaller.

For me audi's look kind of boring and their LED lights kind of annoy me now that everyone has copied them.

They are all great cars, for different people for different reasons.

Most of us probably would recommend a BMW.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:17 AM
Driving Topless

Mein Auto: 428i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
ATS drives great but is a Cadillac.
I don't get that attitude. If I was not all about the vert I would be all over the ats. It is stunning and a great drive. Cadillac is very impressive and looking to win. This is no also-ran
Old 11-23-2013, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Fusion SEL
I haven't driven an A4 or a 3 series but I drove an ATS briefly at an auto show. Here's my thoughts on it...

-It drives like a dream. Fits me like a glove.
-I didn't have much time to get acquainted with CUE or the layout of the interior, but I'm a techy person I'll figure it out.
-I loved the flashy gauges.
-Back seat room is an issue. I barely fit in the back and I'm not tall.
-Trunk space is another issue.
-I really do like that the ATS can run on regular gas.
-I liked the American layout of the interior because I've only owned American cars. It felt the most natural.
-I do like that it's an American car too. That's a factor.

Having sat in an A4 and 3 series I can say this...

-The A4 is my favorite interior. Less spartan than the 3 series.
-The 3 series has the most space in the interior and usable space in the trunk.
-The 3 series also fits like a glove. I like the better visibility of the 3 series over the A4.
-Fuel economy for the 320i and 328i is a major plus, especially with start/stop, and especially if the real world numbers hold true.
-3 series is perfectly proportioned. Just enough rear legroom and head room, just enough trunk space.
-A4 wins in the looks department but the 3 has a way of still looking classy even without the lighting package.
-3 series is the best all around package, IMO out of all 3 competitors due to the fuel economy and additional space.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAmmo View Post
I haven't driven an A4 or a 3 series but I drove an ATS briefly at an auto show. Here's my thoughts on it...

Having sat in an A4 and 3 series I can say this...

3 series is the best all around package, IMO out of all 3 competitors due to the fuel economy and additional space.

I cannot see any prejudice or predisposition in this thread.

I must say, and admit, that the BMW 3 wins again and again based on stated merits. Yes. BimmerFest may proudly say that, unlike those other manufacturers' forums - you know the ones - truth untainted is always presented here.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
I think what some people don't get is that the 3 series, ATS, A4, these aren't sports cars or purpose-built track cars, they're practical sports sedans.

So even if one car has better steering, or is a little better on the track, but falls down as a practical sedan, it's not the better car, and people won't buy it.

I don't see the point of the ATS, which has the best suspension and steering, but has a small back seat and trunk, mediocre interior, middling gas mileage and crappy CUE. You might as well buy a sports car.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:23 AM
xDriver

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
I don't get that attitude. If I was not all about the vert I would be all over the ats. It is stunning and a great drive. Cadillac is very impressive and looking to win. This is no also-ran
Cadillac/Buick may be making some great cars, but it's gonna be a long time before they shake their "old people's car" reputation. No Cadillac would ever even be on my radar until I start collecting social security. And even then, I wouldn't want to be the old guy in the old guy car...

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Old 11-23-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. 328xi View Post
Cadillac/Buick may be making some great cars, but it's gonna be a long time before they shake their "old people's car" reputation. No Cadillac would ever even be on my radar until I start collecting social security. And even then, I wouldn't want to be the old guy in the old guy car...

I would take a CTS-V 6mt wagon over almost any BMW and have all my hair and only a couple grays lol.

Nothing old man about Brembos, a manual, rwd, and nearly 600hp.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 AM
xDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I would take a CTS-V 6mt wagon over almost any BMW and have all my hair and only a couple grays lol.

Nothing old man about Brembos, a manual, rwd, and nearly 600hp.
Despite my post, I agree with you. For me (and many Americans, based on market research surveys), Cadillac has a brand image they can't shake. GM had a "performance" brand in Pontiac, but killed it in favor of keeping both Buick and Cadillac, which both have a similar niche and now they're trying to reinvent Cadillac as a young hip brand. The CTS-V is awesome, but needs a new brand.

I get that my "I won't drive a Cadillac" position is irrational, but I'm obviously not alone or Cadillac wouldn't be spending millions trying to convince America that they're young and cool.

Maybe it's time for GM to launch a new performance/luxury brand and just give up on trying to make the Cadillac name young and hip. Maybe DMW (Detroit Motor Works)? Haha

Old 11-23-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
This thread went off topic very quickly. I travel for work and rent an average of two cars a week. Usually one car I get is a sport/luxury car, I have in the past had ATS's, A4's and 3 series. The OP never really stated what his max payment was, so it is hard to give advice. However, I can give real work take on each car.

ATS, nice car, I rented three, two Luxury edition and one was a performance edition. All had the turbo 2L. The ATS falls short the size to me is the biggest issue, if it was a smidgen smaller then the F30 then the ATS would be a home run.
A4, great car, yes it needs an update, but what you get for the price is it well worth looking into.
328i is a tough car to "love" it has lost it's edge from pervious generation, but in the same ways that is a good thing. One thing I have liked is how you can leave the car in "comfort" and you have a great "luxury" car and if you want alittle more sport, put it in "sport" and you have a sport sedan. The biggest issue compared to the other cars is, the 3 series becomes expensive when adding options. Premium, lighting, Nav , DHP, and sport package you are looking at 49K. I don't like the fact that BMW now limited what interior color you get with sport package, not everybody wants black or red.

It doesn't matter which of these cars you get, they are all good cars, they each have + and -, just depends on what you can live with and can't live with.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Despite my post, I agree with you. For me (and many Americans, based on market research surveys), Cadillac has a brand image they can't shake. GM had a "performance" brand in Pontiac, but killed it in favor of keeping both Buick and Cadillac, which both have a similar niche and now they're trying to reinvent Cadillac as a young hip brand. The CTS-V is awesome, but needs a new brand.

I get that my "I won't drive a Cadillac" position is irrational, but I'm obviously not alone or Cadillac wouldn't be spending millions trying to convince America that they're young and cool.

Maybe it's time for GM to launch a new performance/luxury brand and just give up on trying to make the Cadillac name young and hip. Maybe DMW (Detroit Motor Works)? Haha

Remember, my background and degree is in Industrial/Transportation design. I had to take classes not just in design of automobiles, but in the understanding of marketing etc.

We had to do a case study based on a video from Cadillac. When the first CTS was about to launch a decade ago, they had the car in a room with Lexus and BMWs and focus groups.

They had the badges covered up.

They had GREAT feedback on the CTS, the minute it was revealed it was a Caddy, most people back tracked and said they WOULD have bought it if it was by one of the other lux brands.

That is the power of perception/image/branding.

Very frustrating as a designer to have the product, but not have the branding/image.

However, that was a decade ago.

Cadillac's image has vastly improved and updated itself.

The proof is in the facts. You will find the average age of those purchasing a Caddy in the past 24 months is far lower than 5 years ago. I am fairly certain the average ATS buyers age is not any worse off than Audi/MB/BMW/Lexus. It is working.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 13 335I

The ats is a great car but falls short to the bmw. The caddy that better than the comparable bmw is the new cts which is an excellent car.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:26 AM
xDriver

Quote:
Remember, my background and degree is in Industrial/Transportation design. I had to take classes not just in design of automobiles, but in the understanding of marketing etc.

We had to do a case study based on a video from Cadillac. When the first CTS was about to launch a decade ago, they had the car in a room with Lexus and BMWs and focus groups.

They had GREAT feedback on the CTS, the minute it was revealed it was a Caddy, most people back tracked and said they WOULD have bought it if it was by one of the other lux brands.

Very frustrating as a designer to have the product, but not have the branding/image.

However, that was a decade ago.

Cadillac's image has vastly improved and updated itself.

The proof is in the facts. You will find the average age of those purchasing a Caddy in the past 24 months is far lower than 5 years ago. I am fairly certain the average ATS buyers age is not any worse off than Audi/MB/BMW/Lexus. It is working.
I definitely get that. Before medical school, my original career and undergrad degree were in advertising. I worked at one of the big agencies and a major client was Oldsmobile, not too long before they folded.

It is definitely frustrating that we are such a brand conscious country, but we are. And it takes a long time to change those perceptions, too.

That is why I think GM should create a performance brand rather than fighting for twenty years to change Cadillac. A good marketing campaign could have a new GM division doing well in 6 months...

Old 11-23-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:

That would do it.

Most people wouldn't be able to tell a Lexus from Cadillic if the badges had tape over 'em.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:

It's the power of experience. The truth is: Cadillac, and GM in general, have made garbage scows since the 70's. They'll be awhile shakin' that off.

Another major issue is indeed perception/image/branding. All Cadillacs have those alphabetic designations - is a CTS diff then any other 3 letter combo? Not to anyone only passingly familiar with the brand. New model appears - seems like nothing's changed, so, so what?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I think what some people don't get is that the 3 series, ATS, A4, these aren't sports cars or purpose-built track cars, they're practical sports sedans.

So even if one car has better steering, or is a little better on the track, but falls down as a practical sedan, it's not the better car, and people won't buy it.

I don't see the point of the ATS, which has the best suspension and steering, but has a small back seat and trunk, mediocre interior, middling gas mileage and crappy CUE. You might as well buy a sports car.
The ATS focuses on the "sport" first and on the "sedan" second, unlike the others. That is the whole point, it is by far the best choice for the track while still being a good DD.

"This chassis..*****. Unbelievable. I'm just blown away by how well this car drives. Those two are luxury sport sedans. This is a luxury sports car."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2lUY0UUMz
Old 11-23-2013, 11:38 AM
It means bright red

Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Some people need to lighten up. Maybe he was just being sarcastic? Besides we all know Cadillacs suck.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Honestly, I would pick neither. If you enjoy driving save your self some money and pick up a CPO E9x N54 335i or better yet pick yourself a CPO E9x M3 for the same or close to same price. Heck in fact if you want to save even more money get yourself a nice E46 M3 or E39 M5.

If some one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy one of these 3 car choices you posted. Then take the 320i with M-sport or go with base ATS sport. If you ask why?...... then my answer is you will regret it in a year when the newness of these cars will wear off and you will come to realization that for a lot less money you could have picked up a more unique and fun car instead of the drab offering created to please the masses.
+1. I agree

'11 E92 335is DCT ProTuned by PTF Black Sapphire Metallic (Mine)
'14 F30 335xDrive Mineral Grey (Wifey)
'11 E92 335xDrive Space Grey (Retired)
'08 E90 328xi Alpine White (Retired)
'04 E46 325xi Silver Grey (Retired)
'03 E46 330xi Titanium Silver (Retired)
'98 Audi A4 2.8 Black (Retired)
'89 Saab 900 Turbo Grey (Retired) 350,000 miles

ED - Aug/Sept 2013 - '14 F30 335xDrive w/DHP Mineral Grey
Old 11-24-2013, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
It is definitely frustrating that we are such a brand conscious country, but we are. And it takes a long time to change those perceptions, too.
Europeans are far from immune to this, believe me. They only fall for it in a different way. For example, buying AT with 1.4 liter gasoline engine is sheer stupidity. Yet, listen to them how "it shifts faster" (yeah, I see you making that hatch into championship-winning car) or "it's more technologically advanced" (this just earned you 15% raise in your high-tech company, didn't it?) and it is all BS, it is simply that AT is perceived as more "premium" because only more costly cars historically had those. The only reason you can get your new Golf 1.4 TSI with AT is that torque of that engine matches some serious firepower of 2-3 decades ago.

What kills ME (while living in this country) is this repulsion towards station wagons and hatchback which I think of as the BEST packages to have as DD. This is a difficult one to understand, it is rather easy to understand why people are shunning Cadillac.

Strangely, I predict that, between new Mustang and ATS/CTS pair, the one to really take off will be the one that hugely succeeds in Euro market. There is a reason for putting 4 cylinders into a (much lighter) Mustang, you know?

You guys think we have it bad with F30 this and F30 that? Wait until they reveal the new Mustang

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .

Last edited by Mark K; 11-24-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Fusion SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
It's the power of experience. The truth is: Cadillac, and GM in general, have made garbage scows since the 70's. They'll be awhile shakin' that off.

Another major issue is indeed perception/image/branding. All Cadillacs have those alphabetic designations - is a CTS diff then any other 3 letter combo? Not to anyone only passingly familiar with the brand. New model appears - seems like nothing's changed, so, so what?
GM is currently in a weird position. They're creating fantastic product but some of their technology (for example: 6 speed transmission) is behind the times due to the bankruptcy. The products created post bankruptcy are just now coming to market (see: new Colorado). The stillborn '13 Malibu is a great example of product being caught in bankruptcy.

That said, GM was able to put a quick fix on the Malibu and delayed the new Cruze and Verano in order to "get them right." and based on the Impala (GM's first true post-bankruptcy product) and CTS, they're on the right track.

Some power train fixes and new transmissions will fix a lot. GM's the company to watch for all competitors over the rest of this decade.