Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
2013 328i sound

HugH, does your 2013 328i sound similar to these two posted videos?

Last edited by tomsz; 11-17-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 Audi S4. BMW is gone
lemon law

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsz View Post
I have the same pinging issue with my 2012 328i, but does not matter what the temperature is. I had three loaner cars in the last month (not related to this), two 2013 328i and one 320i, and none of them made this noise. Otherwise it runs great and getting excellent mileage.

I wonder, if a valve (valves), lifter may be at fault. Either mechanical (bent or sticking valves /lifters), or accumulated a lot of grime and deposits. The sound from my engine is much more pronounced on the right front side (the left, if you are looking at it from the front).

The other issue may be the knock sensor(s). I a not that familiar with these ultra modern engines. I put 93 Tier 1 gas, fuel system cleaner and I can see a minor improvement, but far from being normal. The problem is that I purchased the car just a month ago with 26K miles already on it and do not know what it sounded like before. My 2007 X3 makes about the same sound when it's still cold, but only for about 10-15 minutes. After that it purrs smooth, puts my 2012 328i to shame.

Check this link: BMW 3 series (F30) 328i Year 2012 - Major Engine Problem

It sounds much much worse, but clearly his problem became much worse and was caused by a bent cylinder rod. I am not saying that the same thing is happening, or it will degenerate this bad, but the sound of his car at idle is very similar.

He says: "Update: After dismantling the entire engine and a 2week long investigation, they found a bent rod connecting the 3rd cylinder. However, STILL WAITING for BMW to provide a solution on whether they will repair or replace. This is CLEARLY a manufacturing defect. I'm getting very annoyed with their nonchalant attitude. This will be my last BMW. Never again."

The dealer should be able to check the engine parameters that include the knock sensor, valves/lifters, injectors, etc. What worries me (besides potential long term damage), is that I will run out of warranty and whatever causes this noise will strike a blow after I am off warranty already.
check you state laws or discuss with dealer to escalate to bmw buy back.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Trying to decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jygesq View Post
check you state laws or discuss with dealer to escalate to bmw buy back.
Trying to decide if this sound is normal. I do not experience any performance issues, the knocking sound is only from the idle to 1,500 rpm range.

Without knowing how many others with 2102-2014 328i have this similar "issue", I am only able to base my concerns on these two videos and my car vs. the two 2013 328i loaners I drove that did not have this pronounced knocking sound.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 535i
Quote:
Trying to decide if this sound is normal. I do not experience any performance issues, the knocking sound is only from the idle to 1,500 rpm range.

Without knowing how many others with 2102-2014 328i have this similar "issue", I am only able to base my concerns on these two videos and my car vs. the two 2013 328i loaners I drove that did not have this pronounced knocking sound.
I have driven three 328i loaners from two different dealers. All of them made the same "diesel" sound.

The sound in the videos is taken from the exhaust. The sound being discussed emanates from the engine, on the opposite end of the car. Tell you the truth, I have never gone to the rear end of my car to listen to noise. I have other better things to do...

BTW - I had seen the first video prior to making a decision as to which brand and model I would purchase. Audi and Mercedes where the other contenders.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Variance

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugH View Post
I have driven three 328i loaners from two different dealers. All of them made the same "diesel" sound..
Thanks HugH for the input. In your case, four 328i sounded the same with a "knocking" sound, so one may say that's normal. In my case, as well as in the first post, my car had this knocking sound and two others did not. Assuming, both cases are normal, that's quite a variance.

Based on my experience with my 1999 328i, my 2007 X3, if my 6 cylinder would sound like this after it warmed up, I would be very concerned. Thus, it may have to do something with the 4 cylinder and the high-pressure injectors. Still, this is a huge variance in my opinion. I am just concerned about a sticking valve or lifter.

Last edited by tomsz; 11-17-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks HugH for the input. In your case, four 328i sounded the same with a "knocking" sound, so one may say that's normal. In my case, as well as in the first post, my car had this knocking sound and two others did not. Assuming, both cases are normal, that's quite a variance.

Based on my experience with my 1999 328i, my 2007 X3, if my 6 cylinder would sound like this after it warmed up, I would be very concerned. Thus, it may have to do something with the 4 cylinder and the high-pressure injectors. Still, this a huge variance in my opinion. I am just concerned about a sticking valve or lifter.
I was NOT surprised at all to hear the sound from all 4 328i I have driven. Knowing that the car was equipped with high pressure injectors and the experience I had with my 2007 Lexus with it's 6cyl engine and same type of injectors, I simply shrugged…c'est la vie!
Old 02-01-2016, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: F30
HI i am wondering if you ever solved the rattling sound? i have similar rattling sound in the cabin as you described, and it only happens in Reverse gear and sometimes in Drive gear while car is not moving (either with hand brake on or foot brake on). I can't really hear the same rattling sound when opening the engine hood as the engine normal sounds pretty loud already, but when sitting in the cabin and gears engaged while car is still, the sound is pretty obvious.

Took me a while to find out it is caused by the engine cover trim because if i remove that trim piece, the rattling sound is gone. And when the trim is installed back, sometimes it will become quite for a little while, but after some driving, the rattling sound is out again. So when i go to the dealer, they just reinstall the engine cover trim and then it become quite until i drove for awhile, it just came back again.

The root cause of the rattling sound with the engine cover trim is still unknown. Has anyone had similar experience and successfully resolved it? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:01 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Our 2016 428i GC is noticeably less diesel-sounding even when standing next to it when idling, as compared with our previous 2013 328i. I think they've improved the hood insulation and maybe done some other tweaking , but it definitely is much better.
'16 428i GC AlpWhite
Old 02-16-2016, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Our 2016 428i GC is noticeably less diesel-sounding even when standing next to it when idling, as compared with our previous 2013 328i. I think they've improved the hood insulation and maybe done some other tweaking , but it definitely is much better.
I've only had my 428i for 2 days, and the idle noise is so annoying I stumbled across this forum looking for answers. I made a service appointment to get it checked out, but from reading this thread,and others, it sounds like I better get used to it.

Are there any cases where folks have had successful fixes at the dealer, or do I have 35 more lease payments of misery ahead of me?

I'm reading that's this is common among lots of brands, but I just turned in a Mercedes C250 4 banger that I had for 4 years, and it never made a peep...
Old 02-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Former SVB

Mein Auto: 340i 6MT
My b58 sounds like a diesel when it's idling
Old 02-17-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluded View Post
My b58 sounds like a diesel when it's idling
Is the sound constant? Mine disappears after accelerating to about 20 mph, and also ceases once I'm stopped and idle (after about 10 seconds).
Old 02-17-2016, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Eagle View Post
4 Cylinder engines are nicknamed "four bangers" for a reason. Its completely normal. BMW I6 engines are more representative of BMW's sound
Four cylinder engines are named 4 bangers for the cyllinder count. Not fuel injector noise. The name predates fuel injection by many decades.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: '16 328i
There is a distinction between a "tapping", "rattle", and "chatter". Injectors make noise yes, but it should not sound like a diesel. The injectors tend to make a consistent tap tap tap noise, the key is the consistency of it. I had a "chatter" noise on my old 320 that ultimately required a new engine. THAT noise came through the cabin as an inconsistent rattle. Under the hood, it was clearly distinct from the consistent tapping noise of the injectors.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:50 PM

My noise is more of a rattle around the steering column, and fades away after 10 seconds of idle, or accelerating to 20 mph or more.

Any other experiences out there? I'm taking it to the dealer this week and will report back.

This has me pretty nervous as the several others that I test drove didn't make any such noise...
Old 02-21-2016, 12:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 340i
Well I know this is a 328 thread. But my 340i engine squeaks on cold starts, and I can really hear the valves or something when I accelerate. Seems like there is excessive free play or something needs to be lubed.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
IIRC in order to save money BMW went back to slightly noiser solenoid injectors vs the more expensive piezoelectric (N54/M57). I believe the N20 uses solenoid.

Solenoids = 5 pulses/sec
Piezoelectric = 7 pulses/sec

Last edited by F32Fleet; 02-21-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinDC View Post
I got my new 2012 328i sedan about three weeks ago. This is my first Bimmer. So I am not familiar with the sound of the engine. After the second day, I noticed the engine made a strange tapping/rattling noise when idling. It's not a really loud noise, but you can hear it from inside the car. It alsmost sounds like a diesel engine.
Yep. That's him.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White05X3 View Post
So OP - is your question answered and your concern addressed?
Better yet:

Old 02-21-2016, 07:46 AM

My knees sound like a 17 year old Chevy Blazer when I get up in the morning. Is this normal?
Old 04-20-2016, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Engine Idle Noise in 2013 328i

Hi,

I have been having the same issue with my 2013 328i over the last 3 years or so now. I first noticed the rattling noise under the steering column when the car was idling, although it was intermittent at first and not very easily reproducible. I thought it'd show up when the engine was cold, but now it's pretty much something I can hear every single time the engine idles (right before the auto start/stop kicks in and turns the engine off).

I've complained about this problem to a couple of BMW dealerships since 2013, and here are some of the things they've told me so far:

1. Feb / May 2013 - Removed belly pan from previous complaint and found all fuel lines intact, and in place. Not reproducible.

2. Jul 2013 - Found rattle sound coming from steering column trim surround. Removed trim, applied felt tape to contact points of trim to create a buffer, reinstalled trim. Sound no longer seen. (I saw it come back within a few days).

3. Nov 2014 - Removed lower under panels and checked all lines for power steering and AC and found AC compressor line rattling against compressor. Removed and reinstalled compressor line away and rechecked, found rattle to be gone. (Again, noise was back within a few days).

Gave up in 2015, knowing dealer was not going to do anything about it.

4. Mar 2016 - noise was quite persistent now, so took it in, and this time, the dealership stated: Found noise coming from under dash. Removed kick panels, found louder. Removed cluster and found rattle deeper. Removed heads-up-display and found rattle coming from the firewall. Verified with foreman and found that the noise is engine rattle being transferred from the mounts to the sub frame and body causing the firewall to vibrate and cause idle vibrations. Per foreman, this is a normal noise from engine with no repair needed at this time. (The rep also said he talked to the BMW NA rep for Nor Cal and was told that it is normal).

What do I do now? The car will be out of warranty in Dec 2016 - is this noise really considered normal for this make and model? Should I get in touch with BMW to have someone investigate this further? What would be my options at this point? I'm not sure if something like this would qualify for a buy back, as there are no issues with the car otherwise?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:08 AM

Make an appointment at another dealership?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:28 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Make a video and post it so we can tell if it truly is a normal sound. The direct injection clatter will not go away. If it is causing something to vibrate against the firewall that's another issue. From the last work order description it sounds like it may indeed be normal sound you're hearing. Number 2 and 3 rattle issues were basically separate issues that may have been exacerbated by the normal engine vibrations.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-21-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: F30
Odd Engine Sound of new 328i

try to remove the engin cover trim and see if the noise is there. it took me quite some time and with my friend's help to finally identify my rattling noise is from the engine cover trim. We finally identified that when hand pressing the cover trim at the corner close to the firewall and passenger side, the noise is immediately gone. Also if removing the engine cover trim, the sound is gone and car is quite as hell. We tried to tape around the cover's tabs which goes into the locating slots toward the firewall but with no help.

My rattling noise happens when the car is stopped or at very slow speed (low rpm). No sound or the sound is not noticeable when in P gear. In D gear and stepping on brake or moving slowly at low rpm, the sound is distinct. In R gear and stepping on brake or moving slowly at low RPM makes the loudest sound.

I only know what is making the sound, but still don't know why it is make the sound. Checked all the wiring, pipes, tubes and everything and found nothing is actually interfering each other. Used the electric tape and taped around the cover trim tab doesn't help.

Almost wanted to just leave the engine cover trim out to get rid of this annoying noise, but too afraid the ECU could be damaged from water or vapor when raining.

Try to remove the engine cover trim and see if you can eliminate the sound this way. If so, hopefully you might be able find the root cause and share.

Last edited by LittleBlackHawk; 04-21-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackHawk View Post
try to remove the engin cover trim and see if the noise is there. it took me quite some time and with my friend's help to finally identify my rattling noise is from the engine cover trim. We finally identified that when hand pressing the cover trim at the corner close to the firewall and passenger side, the noise is immediately gone. Also if removing the engine cover trim, the sound is gone and car is quite as hell. We tried to tape around the cover's tabs which goes into the locating slots toward the firewall but with no help.

My rattling noise happens when the car is stopped or at very slow speed (low rpm). No sound or the sound is not noticeable when in P gear. In D gear and stepping on brake or moving slowly at low rpm, the sound is distinct. In R gear and stepping on brake or moving slowly at low RPM makes the loudest sound.

I only know what is making the sound, but still don't know why it is make the sound. Checked all the wiring, pipes, tubes and everything and found nothing is actually interfering each other. Used the electric tape and taped around the cover trim tab doesn't help.

Almost wanted to just leave the engine cover trim out to get rid of this annoying noise, but too afraid the ECU could be damaged from water or vapor when raining.

Try to remove the engine cover trim and see if you can eliminate the sound this way. If so, hopefully you might be able find the root cause and share.
Great suggestions!

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 05-01-2016, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Make a video and post it so we can tell if it truly is a normal sound. The direct injection clatter will not go away. If it is causing something to vibrate against the firewall that's another issue. From the last work order description it sounds like it may indeed be normal sound you're hearing. Number 2 and 3 rattle issues were basically separate issues that may have been exacerbated by the normal engine vibrations.
Here's a video of the sound. Can hear it pretty much every time the car is idling.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
4 cyclinder, engine noise, rattling

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search