Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
2013 328i sound

HugH, does your 2013 328i sound similar to these two posted videos?

Last edited by tomsz; 11-17-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
lemon law

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsz View Post
I have the same pinging issue with my 2012 328i, but does not matter what the temperature is. I had three loaner cars in the last month (not related to this), two 2013 328i and one 320i, and none of them made this noise. Otherwise it runs great and getting excellent mileage.

I wonder, if a valve (valves), lifter may be at fault. Either mechanical (bent or sticking valves /lifters), or accumulated a lot of grime and deposits. The sound from my engine is much more pronounced on the right front side (the left, if you are looking at it from the front).

The other issue may be the knock sensor(s). I a not that familiar with these ultra modern engines. I put 93 Tier 1 gas, fuel system cleaner and I can see a minor improvement, but far from being normal. The problem is that I purchased the car just a month ago with 26K miles already on it and do not know what it sounded like before. My 2007 X3 makes about the same sound when it's still cold, but only for about 10-15 minutes. After that it purrs smooth, puts my 2012 328i to shame.

Check this link: BMW 3 series (F30) 328i Year 2012 - Major Engine Problem

It sounds much much worse, but clearly his problem became much worse and was caused by a bent cylinder rod. I am not saying that the same thing is happening, or it will degenerate this bad, but the sound of his car at idle is very similar.

He says: "Update: After dismantling the entire engine and a 2week long investigation, they found a bent rod connecting the 3rd cylinder. However, STILL WAITING for BMW to provide a solution on whether they will repair or replace. This is CLEARLY a manufacturing defect. I'm getting very annoyed with their nonchalant attitude. This will be my last BMW. Never again."

The dealer should be able to check the engine parameters that include the knock sensor, valves/lifters, injectors, etc. What worries me (besides potential long term damage), is that I will run out of warranty and whatever causes this noise will strike a blow after I am off warranty already.
check you state laws or discuss with dealer to escalate to bmw buy back.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Trying to decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jygesq View Post
check you state laws or discuss with dealer to escalate to bmw buy back.
Trying to decide if this sound is normal. I do not experience any performance issues, the knocking sound is only from the idle to 1,500 rpm range.

Without knowing how many others with 2102-2014 328i have this similar "issue", I am only able to base my concerns on these two videos and my car vs. the two 2013 328i loaners I drove that did not have this pronounced knocking sound.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Quote:
Trying to decide if this sound is normal. I do not experience any performance issues, the knocking sound is only from the idle to 1,500 rpm range.

Without knowing how many others with 2102-2014 328i have this similar "issue", I am only able to base my concerns on these two videos and my car vs. the two 2013 328i loaners I drove that did not have this pronounced knocking sound.
I have driven three 328i loaners from two different dealers. All of them made the same "diesel" sound.

The sound in the videos is taken from the exhaust. The sound being discussed emanates from the engine, on the opposite end of the car. Tell you the truth, I have never gone to the rear end of my car to listen to noise. I have other better things to do...

BTW - I had seen the first video prior to making a decision as to which brand and model I would purchase. Audi and Mercedes where the other contenders.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Variance

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugH View Post
I have driven three 328i loaners from two different dealers. All of them made the same "diesel" sound..
Thanks HugH for the input. In your case, four 328i sounded the same with a "knocking" sound, so one may say that's normal. In my case, as well as in the first post, my car had this knocking sound and two others did not. Assuming, both cases are normal, that's quite a variance.

Based on my experience with my 1999 328i, my 2007 X3, if my 6 cylinder would sound like this after it warmed up, I would be very concerned. Thus, it may have to do something with the 4 cylinder and the high-pressure injectors. Still, this is a huge variance in my opinion. I am just concerned about a sticking valve or lifter.

Last edited by tomsz; 11-17-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Quote:
Thanks HugH for the input. In your case, four 328i sounded the same with a "knocking" sound, so one may say that's normal. In my case, as well as in the first post, my car had this knocking sound and two others did not. Assuming, both cases are normal, that's quite a variance.

Based on my experience with my 1999 328i, my 2007 X3, if my 6 cylinder would sound like this after it warmed up, I would be very concerned. Thus, it may have to do something with the 4 cylinder and the high-pressure injectors. Still, this a huge variance in my opinion. I am just concerned about a sticking valve or lifter.
I was NOT surprised at all to hear the sound from all 4 328i I have driven. Knowing that the car was equipped with high pressure injectors and the experience I had with my 2007 Lexus with it's 6cyl engine and same type of injectors, I simply shrugged…c'est la vie!