Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i
What is this noise?

My 335i has been making weird noises since the day i got it.

When I took it in and gave them specific instructions on how to reproduce it, they were unable to find anything and just gave it back to me as-is.

I'm going to try my luck again, this time with a video. It happens usually in the first few minutes of driving, but not always. It can be hard to reproduce. Several days can go by without it, but then it'll happen several times in one day.

Frustrating!

Here's the video. Any guesses? I'll update this post with any findings. My guess is a pulley bearing on the serpentine belt or the AC compressor.

Advertisement
Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Yes, I hear it. Sounds like metal vibrating, like something loose or too close together. Sounds like a part of the exhaust and the pipe is amplifying the sound. Sounds just like when I would get a loose exhaust clamp that would vibrate at a specific frequency. Doesn't sound like a bearing to me, but of course hard to tell from the sound throught a speaker. Tap a few things in the engine bay and see if you can make it do it.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Agree, possibly the exhaust system or catalytic converter rattling. Your best bet is to request that the SA or a tech take a test drive with you driving so they can hear it.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 AM

I agree, that's what it sounded like in the video. At other times, though, it is really a different sound. More of a fluttery scraping sound and then sometimes buzzing like the video. I already took the SA for a ride, but of course it wouldn't do it at all that day.

I'll bring the video this time and then maybe they'll try harder to find it.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomichaelkgo View Post
I'll bring the video this time and then maybe they'll try harder to find it.
Although a bit of wishful thinking, maybe they'll recognize what the problem is from the video itself. Good luck!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 PM

The dealer has had it now for two days and hasn't been able to replicate the noise. They're starting to tell me things like "that's wastegate rattle, and completely normal for these cars". I don't believe that.

Tomorrow, I've committed to driving it with them to see if I can get it to make the noise.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 PM

Here's what they said:

HEAT SHIELD CONTACTING BODY. VERIFIED CONCERN. NOISE SOUNDS LIKE AN EXHAUST RATTLE. INSPECTED EXHAUST SYSTEM, CHECKING TORQUE AT ALL MOUNTING POINTS. NEXT INSPECTED HEAT SHIELDS. FOUND THE HEAT SHIELD JUST BEHIND THE TRANSMISSION THAT, WHEN STRUCK, MAKES A NOISE SIMILAR TO THE ONE HEARD WHILE DRIVING. REMOVED EXHAUST AND HEAT SHIELD. INSULATED HEAT SHIELD AND REASSEMBLED. NO FURTHER RATTLE HEARD AT THIS TIME.

Fingers crossed that this fixed it!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: 01 S60 T5 M; 05 OB XT M
that's just good ol' Beaverton buzz

since I'm still shopping for my first BMW...any pros or cons with PDX dealerships?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 AM

Here's my experience: I contacted both dealerships over the Internet with an offer of invoice + $1000. BMW of Portland never wrote back. When called, they said they wouldn't discount.

Kuni, on the other hand, simply said "yes". So they got my business. The only shady thing they've done was to try to sell me 11 kinds of extended warranties and insurance when I bought the car.

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Here's what they said:

HEAT SHIELD CONTACTING BODY. VERIFIED CONCERN. NOISE SOUNDS LIKE AN EXHAUST RATTLE. INSPECTED EXHAUST SYSTEM, CHECKING TORQUE AT ALL MOUNTING POINTS. NEXT INSPECTED HEAT SHIELDS. FOUND THE HEAT SHIELD JUST BEHIND THE TRANSMISSION THAT, WHEN STRUCK, MAKES A NOISE SIMILAR TO THE ONE HEARD WHILE DRIVING. REMOVED EXHAUST AND HEAT SHIELD. INSULATED HEAT SHIELD AND REASSEMBLED. NO FURTHER RATTLE HEARD AT THIS TIME.

Plot twist: the noise remains. I'll be bringing it back to the dealer yet again.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Plot twist: the noise remains. I'll be bringing it back to the dealer yet again.
Well, too bad. Better luck with round two.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 08-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Ekon Hitman

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Be careful. I had a similar noise, but mine wasn't as loud . After 4 visits and a month WITH MY CAR they added insultion to the interior so now the noise " is. Gone". NOT CONVINCED THEY FIXED THE PROBLEM. I'm waiting for the noise to come back ....
Old 10-17-2013, 02:14 PM

Update: The dealer is replacing ....... the engine. After another trip to get the driver door handle replaced (proximity lock stopped working), they finally troubleshot it in earnest. They said it's not the exhaust and not the turbo, but found excessive wear in one of the cylinders. They also said they had connecting rod bearing failures on other N55s, so watch out! I'm really not happy about the situation.

Here's another video of it -- Listen right at five seconds in.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Another update --

After the whole engine was replaced, I still get the weird noise intermittently. Here it is yesterday.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Quote:
The dealer has had it now for two days and hasn't been able to replicate the noise. They're starting to tell me things like "that's wastegate rattle, and completely normal for these cars". I don't believe that.

Tomorrow, I've committed to driving it with them to see if I can get it to make the noise.
Quote:
Here's what they said:

Quote:
It's unfortunate this happened to your car.
First the dealer said it was "normal", next exhaust rattle, then it's the engine.
That's like going to a clinic and the doc tells the patient has a cold, then it's the flu, a few days later...oh you have cancer.
I hope your car is all better now with the new engine; your engine warranty should restart. Good luck!
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
28K mi Dec14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 11-16-2013, 11:21 AM
It means bright red

Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30
Geez I would be so frustrated, hang in there...

Maybe take it to another dealer, not out of spite, just to get some fresh eyes on the problem.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: Soon a BMW
What is this noise?

Quote:
Another update --

After the whole engine was replaced, I still get the weird noise intermittently. Here it is yesterday.
I am getting same sound/vibration. Did you notice that in your video the I drive screen is vibrating at same frequency as the sound? Taking car in tomorrow and have printed out several posts where the fix was felt on I drive. Will let you know what SA says.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-17-2013, 09:09 PM

It's definitely a sound emanating from the engine bay. And, it doesn't sound like plastic parts chattering. It's metallic. The phone video probably doesn't do a good job establishing directionality, but in person, it is clearly coming from beyond the firewall.