Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Eh, maybe. People run plastic fans without any clutch whatsoever in many other applications outside the world of BMWs.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 11-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
Yes and people that do this usually run into problems from the increased stress to the fan. Simply put a fan designed to run on a clutch is NOT designed to be run without the clutch. There are however fans that ARE made to be run without a clutch, which are flex fans and others. If you ever get the chance why don't you try locking your clutch and see how long your fan lasts.

I find it a little amusing that everyone is so quick to believe and accept that the fan blades break from just being old, but if I want to throw in the variable of a locked fan clutch, its just ridiculous. Did you even bother going through the threads I posted earlier?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:14 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
Yes and people that do this usually run into problems from the increased stress to the fan. Simply put a fan designed to run on a clutch is NOT designed to be run without the clutch. There are however fans that ARE made to be run without a clutch, which are flex fans and others. If you ever get the chance why don't you try locking your clutch and see how long your fan lasts.

I find it a little amusing that everyone is so quick to believe and accept that the fan blades break from just being old, but if I want to throw in the variable of a locked fan clutch, its just ridiculous. Did you even bother going through the threads I posted earlier?
I went through them. That said, the reasons the fans break on BMW's are threefold.

1. Heat cycles.
2. Age.
3. stress.

In that order.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Insane in the membrane!

That doesn't make any sense, if a clutch was locked on a brand new car, obviously the mechanical stress will break the fan before heat cycles and age.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:13 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense, if a clutch was locked on a brand new car, obviously the mechanical stress will break the fan before heat cycles and age.
It makes complete sense when you factor in that the fan clutches on these cars is known for failing by becoming weak, NOT by locking.

In fact, until the articles you posted, I had never once heard of a fan clutch locking. (On these cars.)

Last edited by jonesin; 11-17-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Insane in the membrane!

Right, but your above statement didn't specify E36. Obviously its more of a problem with the 5 series, considering all the pictures on the net relate to that, so perhaps they DO use a different fan clutch, even though they use the same fan.

Last edited by dwonda; 11-17-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Quote:
Right, but your above statement didn't specify E36. Obviously its more of a problem with the 5 series, considering all the pictures on the net relate to that, so perhaps they DO use a different fan clutch, even though they use the same fan.
This thread being in the E36 subsection precludes the need to state E36 on each and every statement made in this forum though doesn't it?

Old 11-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Warm Leatherette

And I would imagine that, like the fans themselves, the clutches are the same unit across many BMW models from that time period.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Insane in the membrane!

Ok so what is the explanation here? Why are all the pics on the net, the same body style 5 series?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Insane in the membrane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
This thread being in the E36 subsection precludes the need to state E36 on each and every statement made in this forum though doesn't it?
Ok so when ZeGerman mentioned that outside the world of BMW's many people don't use fan clutches I should have assumed that he meant outside of E36's right?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Warm Leatherette

Stop arguing. If you want to believe that plastic fans on BMWs don't explode simply due to age, heat, etc., then that's your business. I'll also permit you to believe in the afterlife and alien visitation if you want.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 11-17-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Insane in the membrane!

I'll believe it, all i wanted to do was point out that there can be other causes. But alas, no one will believe me, and my point is moot. Moving onů..
Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: E36 328i
=[ I read this post a couple months back, and I was going to change the whole lot at the beggining of March as soon as my mk2 gti was back on the road. The irony of it is, I used my 328 to jump the golf for the first time since the engine rebuild, and first time in 2 years, and that's what did it. One on, one off!
=[ moral of the story.... DO NOT POSTPONE THIS PRECAUTION!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Passat
The fluid temperature gauge usually justs pinpoints the problem you don't have to really shut down the car or wait until the engine burns, it usually gives you a warning Not that the engine will burn out.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Lowlife

Mein Auto: 1998 328i
http://www.achillesmotorsports.com/C...e36coolkit.htm

They have a good cooling overhaul kit I'm buying it in the next couple of weeks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Humf, doesn't look like it includes a fan clutch, I guess that isn't a critical part of the cooling system, and could never be responsible for a fan blowing apart as previously discussed. Can't say I'm a fan of the description which is riddled with fear based mis-information. Like lumping the plastic thermostat housing and plastic impeller into the same sentence and later saying that all E36's came with them. Not all E36's came with a plastic impeller though. And I should buy a new radiator because mine is likely cracked and brittle? I'll be the judge of that thank you very much. Seems like a good price though, and I wouldn't mind having an aluminum thermostat housing.

Hey did you know that you should replace your airbags every 15 years?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Passat
Getting aluminum on your car parts should not be a big of a deal. DEpending on the parts
Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Quote:
Humf, doesn't look like it includes a fan clutch, I guess that isn't a critical part of the cooling system, and could never be responsible for a fan blowing apart as previously discussed. Can't say I'm a fan of the description which is riddled with fear based mis-information. Like lumping the plastic thermostat housing and plastic impeller into the same sentence and later saying that all E36's came with them. Not all E36's came with a plastic impeller though. And I should buy a new radiator because mine is likely cracked and brittle? I'll be the judge of that thank you very much. Seems like a good price though, and I wouldn't mind having an aluminum thermostat housing.

The early (through 1997 E36s) came with the plastic impeller. The 97-99 E36s came with either a composite impeller or a metal impeller on the water pump. All three are known to fail suddenly causing damage though for different reasons. With the plastic: it shatters, or the shaft bearings fail causing the fan to come into contact with minor things like the hood, engine block, or the radiator.

The later ones be they composite or the metal impellers are known to have the shaft bearings fail causing the fan to come into contact with minor things like the hood, engine block, or the radiator.

See any recurring theme here?

I've not yet heard one case on this forum of an airbag failing causing damage or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBush234 View Post
Getting aluminum on your car parts should not be a big of a deal. DEpending on the parts
I've got to ask. Are you high when you write these tidbits? Where did this even come from?

Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Warm Leatherette

Quote:
And I should buy a new radiator because mine is likely cracked and brittle? I'll be the judge of that thank you very much.
You're welcome to be the judge of that - it's your car, but don't for one second suggest that this thread is predicated on "fear based mis-information". The recommendation to replace cooling system components which contain plastic comes from a widely known and longstanding observed history of E36 BMWs (and others) experiencing catastrophic cooling system failures without showing any signs of imminent failure. You are one of the few who resists the trend to replace these troublesome parts before they fail, and you're completely entitled to that practice. But please, don't foul up this thread by suggesting that it's misinformed. E36 cooling systems DO fail, and often. This thread explains how & why they fail, and what needs to be replaced so that owners can avoid this issue.

Quote:
Depends on the car.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 02-18-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Fast Cars Suck!

Send a message via AIM to Joe__Sterling
Mein Auto: '13 FIAT 500 '68 BMW 1602

that is all.

*The I Drove to Both East and West Coast Bimmerfest Club* Member #1
@Joe__Sterling on twitter & instagram (two underscores)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Well maybe one of these days you'll all get through to me. I'd rather do a fan delete and wait for **** to fail and keep an eye on my temperature gauge like I usually do.

Quote:
I've not yet heard one case on this forum of an airbag failing causing damage or otherwise.
That's because they all died ...obviously.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
new to me is a 1992 325I with a cooling issue

water pours out the back of motor a non-vanos M50. Do i need to remove the engine to see where the water is coming from or is there and easier way to detect the issue. I'm surer the PO forgot to tigten or put in the correct tubing , but when I go to refill the rtadiator water just pours out the back of motor. please someone direct me to a link that shows where all the tubing runs , or even better a photo or two of the back of a non-vanos m50 . I just need to know what and where I'm looking for.

Thank you
Lee
Old 02-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Warm Leatherette

Welp, you aren't going to know where it's leaking from until you actually look for it. It could be a cracked hose, or it could be a blown freeze plug (not very likely, however). Time to get out a flashlight and a telescoping mirror. You should have your answer in a few minutes.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 02-23-2014, 01:22 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornman View Post
water pours out the back of motor a non-vanos M50. Do i need to remove the engine to see where the water is coming from or is there and easier way to detect the issue. I'm surer the PO forgot to tigten or put in the correct tubing , but when I go to refill the rtadiator water just pours out the back of motor. please someone direct me to a link that shows where all the tubing runs , or even better a photo or two of the back of a non-vanos m50 . I just need to know what and where I'm looking for.

Thank you
Lee
There's a plastic hose bib on the back of the cylinder head. Not unusual for that to break off and have coolant flood out the back side. It's item 3 in this diagram.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...ttached_parts/
Old 04-01-2014, 03:25 AM

Mein Auto: E36 318i Cab
Thanks a lot for this!

318i Daily