Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 328I Convertible
Unhappy can't get garage door opener to sync

We just bought a Chamberlain HC420EV garage door opener and we have tried everything and can not get the mirror buttons to sync with the garage door opener. We have reset several times. At one point, not sure how, we actually got the mirror button to blink fast so we proceeded to the next step to learn the rolling code from the unit itself. Still no luck. Any ideas? Extremely frustrated, we have been working on it for 2 days now.
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: Rather not say
Some garage door openers often have a "sync" button on the garage door opener itself. Have you tried pressing that then holding the button in the car until the door opens or closes?
Old 11-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
www.homelink.com has virtually foolproof instructions.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-17-2013, 05:18 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnlpurvis View Post
We just bought a Chamberlain HC420EV garage door opener and we have tried everything and can not get the mirror buttons to sync with the garage door opener. We have reset several times. At one point, not sure how, we actually got the mirror button to blink fast so we proceeded to the next step to learn the rolling code from the unit itself. Still no luck. Any ideas? Extremely frustrated, we have been working on it for 2 days now.
First off, welcome aboard.

Next, the BMW setup is unique in that it involves not only climbing up a ladder to the head unit on the garage door but also using the remote that came with the garage door itself. You need both, and the owners manual is a little ambiguous in this regard.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

Next, the BMW setup is unique in that it involves not only climbing up a ladder to the head unit on the garage door but also using the remote that came with the garage door itself. You need both, and the owners manual is a little ambiguous in this regard.

BJ
Just for clarification, this is not unique to BMW. All built-in Homelink setups operate this way.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Take me 2 days to programm. Spend 1 hr 1st day, can't link. Next day, I changed battery in remote control and in 10 min everything was done.
Some garage motors have "rolling code" - you may need to read about this in manuals.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 11-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
www.homelink.com has virtually foolproof instructions.
+1, Homelink is the court of last resort. I spent hours, on several days, trying to train the car to control my new Sommer GDO, with no success. I finally tried the Homelink site and the instructions there documented a third programming method (distinct from the static/rolling code procedures) that is not in the BMW manual. Five minutes later I had a working built-in remote.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 11-17-2013, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i XDrive
I was successful yesterday using the instructions at homelink.com. I hadn't remembered that I had to hit a button on the garage door motorized unit!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:58 PM

We have changed the batteries in the remote. I finally have it to where the car button flashes rapidly now I have to sync due to rolling code. I keep pressing the learn button on the opener itself as instructed and then the button in the car for 3 seconds and release and repeat several times (within the 30 seconds) . I wait 15-20 seconds and do it again Still no luck. This should not be this hard I have followed the homelink video exactly. So frustrated. Still looking for ideas
Old 11-18-2013, 02:10 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Did this yesterday.

Ladder is required.

First follow the instructions to have you car "learn" the code from your handheld transmitter. (hold outer two buttons til fast flashing, then hold desired door button on the handheld unit along with the desired Homelink button til fast flashing)

Second, climb the ladder and push the "learn" button on the overhead unit. Get back in the car and push the desired homelink button til the lights flash on the overhead unit. Push the button again and it should now work.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 11-19-2013, 02:10 PM

Thank you for all your posts. We have done everything listed above over and over again with no luck. We have contacted homelink and they are sending a repeater to add to the system. Our system is brand new and it should not need a repeater for a 2013 vehicle. Homelink is finding that even with the new 2013 vehicles (that should work without the repeater) that the new vehicles that have home link do not have the 2013 homelink system installed as they should. If the repeater works we will know that this is the case. In which case we will be contacting the BMW dealer to put in the 2013 homelink as they should have when the vehicle was built.
Repeater should be here in about a week so I will keep you all posted.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnlpurvis View Post
Thank you for all your posts. We have done everything listed above over and over again with no luck. We have contacted homelink and they are sending a repeater to add to the system. Our system is brand new and it should not need a repeater for a 2013 vehicle. Homelink is finding that even with the new 2013 vehicles (that should work without the repeater) that the new vehicles that have home link do not have the 2013 homelink system installed as they should. If the repeater works we will know that this is the case. In which case we will be contacting the BMW dealer to put in the 2013 homelink as they should have when the vehicle was built.
Repeater should be here in about a week so I will keep you all posted.
The homelink systems in BMW's are all over the map, IME. I had a garage door opener replaced recently with a brand new one. My '02 330i worked fine with it, but my '12 X5 wouldn't. The installer installed a repeater and that got the X5 working. But then the '14 335i works just fine with that opener without the repeater. Go figure.

But the neighborhood gate.... my '02 330i works fine, my '02 X5 worked fine, my '12 X5 works fine, but my '14 335i does not. There's no rhyme or reason but the only consistent thing is that my obsolete '02 330i works with everything while the newer homelinks are hit or miss. Why, homelink, why????

Old 11-20-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 428i M Sport
My car is a '14 428i.

I followed the Homelink.com instructions for a 2013 BMW 3 series with a Liftmaster 8550 opener.

These instructions made the programming easy. Did not have get on a ladder to press the learning button.

Programming of homelink on my '13 BRZ required a repeater.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
It's a pita, you just have to keep at it. eventually it will take. N4S