Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6MT Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar View Post
How would the manual transmission be for someone to learn to drive a manual? Is the clutch light or heavy?
Very light. As I mentioned earlier, the F30 seems like the perfect car to learn in. It has a light clutch with a very forgiving engagement point. The throws are relatively short and snappy. And BMW has actually added some "technology" to truly help the novice manual driver. One, Auto-Stop Start which most people hate (myself included) works great for a new driver who stalls. As soon as you stall, all you need to do is push in the clutch or turn the wheel and the car starts right back up. If you're on a hill or steep incline, hill-start assist keeps you from rolling back. If you keep the car in Eco-Pro or Comfort mode, the car tells you what gear you should be in.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: Yugo
Re: Manual was automatic... For me.

Can you describe how the hill assist works? I assume that it applies the brakes for you? My question is what are your feet doing while on the hill? One foot on the clutch and one on the brake?

I've always used the clutch and gas to keep me still on a hill applying just enough gas and clutch engagement. Probably not the best technique, but then again I rarely see any hills where I am. If it's a steep hill I used the brake and just accepted the fact that I'll roll back a bit when it's time to go.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6MT Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Can you describe how the hill assist works? I assume that it applies the brakes for you? My question is what are your feet doing while on the hill? One foot on the clutch and one on the brake?

I've always used the clutch and gas to keep me still on a hill applying just enough gas and clutch engagement. Probably not the best technique, but then again I rarely see any hills where I am. If it's a steep hill I used the brake and just accepted the fact that I'll roll back a bit when it's time to go.
When I'm on a hill, I hold the brake in and let my left foot off the clutch. So whenever I've had to accelerate from a standstill on a hill, I just shift into first as quickly as possible and gas it enough so I don't roll back. Needless to say, I've usually avoided steep hills if I ever see traffic on one.

How hill-start assist works is perfect for how I accelerate from a standstill on an incline. As soon as you let off the brake, the brakes stay engaged for about 2-3 seconds, giving you time to engage first gear without rolling back.