Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 11-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: 83' 323is, 07' MINI JCW+
Many American drivers think government unfairly placed bets on EV over Clean Diesel

”evoverdiesel”

Over half of American drivers think government has unfairly placed bets on electrics over clean diesel vehicles.

A new poll conducted online by Harris Interactive on behalf of Audi of America reveals that a majority of American drivers would support government initiatives aimed at spurring clean diesel vehicle sales in the U.S. The study was conducted in September, 2013 among 2,041 U.S. adults, among whom 1,629 identified themselves as regular drivers, driving their own personal vehicle at least once a once week or more often.

Long viewed as “the other” fuel, clean diesel in the U.S. is quickly becoming a viable everyday fuel choice for drivers seeking increased efficiency and performance.

However, obstacles to mass adoption still exist. In fact, survey results show that 65% of American drivers would be in support of lawmakers’ efforts to make diesel more accessible to the American public; and 66% of drivers think the government should offer a tax incentive on clean diesel vehicles.

“Government has set very rigorous standards for future fuel economy, and we believe that clean diesel is perfectly positioned to help us achieve those goals. But, we argue that diesel needs an even playing field set by state and federal governments,” said Scott Keogh, President, Audi of America. “Audi believes there are a variety of viable alternative fuel solutions, including electric, but diesel is readily available today. If you take away the disincentives that state and federal taxation policy create, we potentially could see a big uptick in clean diesel vehicles sales.”

Government’s bet on electric vehicles viewed as unfair by American drivers
A majority (57%) of American drivers feel the government has unfairly placed its bets in favor of hybrids and electrics over clean diesel vehicles, the survey also showed.

Unlike electric vehicles, with clean diesel there is no need for driver behavior change, except to move from one pump to the other, and no need for big infrastructure changes.

“I do believe that diesel owners should be included in alternative energy tax incentives. Most diesel owners buy the car for the increased gas mileage, and we deserve to be rewarded for our change in behavior in using an alternate fuel just as hybrid drivers are,” said Stephanie Lewis, Audi TDI clean diesel owner since 2010.

Certain states provide HOV access to hybrid vehicles, while no states provide HOV access to clean diesel vehicles. HOV lanes are made for long-distance driving, better suited to clean diesel vehicles.

Clean diesel viewed as an innovative technology for younger American drivers
Survey results also showed that 59% of 18-34 year old drivers said that if the cost of diesel fuel was on par with gasoline, they would purchase a diesel-powered vehicle. Conversely, only 39% of those 45+ said they would purchase a diesel car over a gas car if there was fuel price parity.

"One of the reasons we are seeing this disparity between age groups may be because younger generations don’t have the same misconceptions about diesel as older generations,” added Keogh. “The objective is to reward efficiency, and diesel is an efficient alternative available today. We need to level the playing field.”

Source: Audiusanews.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-bmw-535d-5-series-016.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	407494  
Ads by Google
Old 11-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335D MSport
"A new poll conducted online by Harris Interactive on behalf of Audi of America"
2000' 328ci MT TIAG/Blk/Alum | 1986' 325es MT | 1981' 528i MT
Old 11-20-2013, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325iT, 2007 325i
A casual look at any measure of "clean" in respect to modern diesel engines would reveal that "cleaner" is probably a better term, as they are certainly less polluting than diesels of decades ago. If one chooses to focus solely on tailpipe emissions, they are on par with modern gasoline engines when evaluated on a grams per mile basis. When the additional air pollution generated by the additional refining to make diesel fuel is taken into account, a diesel powered car will pollute more than its gasoline powered equivalent. This article makes the mistake of proposing that governments should award efficiency for the sake of efficiency, as measured on a miles per gallon basis. Many of us would prefer government policy to reward true "clean".
Old 12-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Coupe
I'm thinking of getting a diesel as a second car (either 535d or A6 TDI), but I think it's pretty silly to put in tax incentives.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ZLTFUL
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraturtle View Post
A casual look at any measure of "clean" in respect to modern diesel engines would reveal that "cleaner" is probably a better term, as they are certainly less polluting than diesels of decades ago. If one chooses to focus solely on tailpipe emissions, they are on par with modern gasoline engines when evaluated on a grams per mile basis. When the additional air pollution generated by the additional refining to make diesel fuel is taken into account, a diesel powered car will pollute more than its gasoline powered equivalent. This article makes the mistake of proposing that governments should award efficiency for the sake of efficiency, as measured on a miles per gallon basis. Many of us would prefer government policy to reward true "clean".

Actually, diesel is easier to refine than gasoline. Gas requires more steps in the process to refine.

A few articles on diesel vs gas when it comes to refining and costs.

http://www.afpm.org/The-Refinery-Process/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_fuel

http://www.nacsonline.com/YourBusine...-Gasoline.aspx
Old 12-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330 cic
many of us would prefer government to stay out all together. I'd take a diesel 4 series any day since i can't go over 100 99% of the time
Old 12-14-2013, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528I
It might seem strange, but if there were more diesel vehicles around, the price of gasoline would drop in the US. When crude oil is refined, many products are produced (desired or not) such as jet fuel, gasoline, diesel, oils, etc. Since diesel demand in the US is FAR lower than supply, refineries have to export it, and the market is becoming glutted.

As trains and trucks move to natural gas, the diesel glut will become worse, and gasoline prices will essentially be subsidizing diesel to move it along.