Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
Thumbs up Get Rid of Run Flats? - Part II

Well my 135i M-Edition came with the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT. I've read all of the propaganda from BMW exactly why they chose this particular tire for my car. None of it rang true for me. Supposedly it was tailored for the suspension and would improve handling. Of course, there was the added advantage of not having to worry about getting a flat.

After 6,000 miles of riding on them my opinion is they are junk! I expected a pleasurable ride from by little coupe and instead I felt like I was riding in a hay wagon. Unless the road was glass smooth, I could feel every imperfection! I dreaded hitting a pot hole or a man hole cover, since the impact sent a shock wave to the chassis.

These babies had to go, but what would I replace them with. I have had very good experience with Generals over the years, and they have a friendly price. One downside was they didn't offer the OEM size for the rear tire.

My problem was solved with the November 2013 issue of Consumer Reports. In it they had a rating of Ultra high Performance (UHP) All-Season tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 were at the top of the list, and they came in the OEM size.

I have done business with Discount Tires for many years, so I bought them there. What's great about Discount is they'll not only match Tire Rack's price their price includes shipping - just add in installation and sales tax for the total.

The Michelins aren't cheap:

215/40/18 - $171
245/35/18 - $212

However, I did get a $70 Visa card!

The results? What a great tire. They give a quiet comfortable ride and handle great. Being All-Season, I can drive in our mostly mild winters without any problems. Don't try it with the RFTs. Have any of you ever noticed the Snow Flake warning in your instrument cluster? It is there for a good reason.

Finally, I got tired of my wheels getting covered with brake dust, so I installed a set of Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads! They are expensive, but they stop well and no brake dust!

The odd couple!
Ads by Google
Old 11-16-2013, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 128 convertible
I agree totally. That A/S 3 is a great tire. I replaced my OEM tires on my 128 w/ sport package which were quick but noisy and harsh with some Michelin A/S 3s from Discount. The A/S 3s didn't give me the "hit a curved wall" feeling when I cornered like the OEM run-flats did however. I went back to Discount and talked about it and they agreed to swap them out for some Bridgestone SO4 summer only tires (Michelin Super Sports aren't made in the size for the front of the 128, so this Bridgestone is said to be the finest summer only tire next to the Michelin). I wore the Bridgestones for one morning only. I was very surprised. The SO4s were very much more noisy (almost 10dB by my sound meter) than the A/S 3s. They handled quicker, but not a huge improvement. I crawled back to Discount with my tail between my legs and they put the Michelin A/S 3s back on.... I drove away appreciating them much more fully!

I can only surmise that the stiff sidewall of the OEM run flat tire gave it that instantaneous side impact feeling when cornering. Maybe I'm old, but I'll trade a bit of that for some ride and noise comfort. I discovered the hard way that the Michelin A/S 3 tire is about as good as it gets unless you are hard core and lovin' the harsh ride.

Happy Beemin!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: 135i Conv w/M package
Michelin PS A/3

Yes, run flats are harsh and my rear Continental tires have only provided 16K miles and need replacing. I am going with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, front & rear. Sams has current offer matching Tire Rack, Discount Tire price. Sams provides $70 discount at register if ordering in Sams store. Looking forward to tires that function in all seasons, with great evaluations in wet conditions, and some light snow capability. Have to find an adequate fix flat kit and/or a 5th tire & alloy for any future flats. Have fun & drive save.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestCS View Post
Well my 135i M-Edition came with the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT. I've read all of the propaganda from BMW exactly why they chose this particular tire for my car. None of it rang true for me. Supposedly it was tailored for the suspension and would improve handling. Of course, there was the added advantage of not having to worry about getting a flat.

After 6,000 miles of riding on them my opinion is they are junk! I expected a pleasurable ride from by little coupe and instead I felt like I was riding in a hay wagon. Unless the road was glass smooth, I could feel every imperfection! I dreaded hitting a pot hole or a man hole cover, since the impact sent a shock wave to the chassis.

These babies had to go, but what would I replace them with. I have had very good experience with Generals over the years, and they have a friendly price. One downside was they didn't offer the OEM size for the rear tire.

My problem was solved with the November 2013 issue of Consumer Reports. In it they had a rating of Ultra high Performance (UHP) All-Season tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 were at the top of the list, and they came in the OEM size.

I have done business with Discount Tires for many years, so I bought them there. What's great about Discount is they'll not only match Tire Rack's price their price includes shipping - just add in installation and sales tax for the total.

The Michelins aren't cheap:

215/40/18 - $171
245/35/18 - $212

However, I did get a $70 Visa card!

The results? What a great tire. They give a quiet comfortable ride and handle great. Being All-Season, I can drive in our mostly mild winters without any problems. Don't try it with the RFTs. Have any of you ever noticed the Snow Flake warning in your instrument cluster? It is there for a good reason.

Finally, I got tired of my wheels getting covered with brake dust, so I installed a set of Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads! They are expensive, but they stop well and no brake dust!
I recently purchased a set of 4 studded Nokian Hakka 7 XL, none FRT, they lasted a week on my car ( 2009 335d ). I went back to the tire shop last Friday and exchange them for the same tire on but in the FRT version. I felt like driving a car with Jell-o wheel. It was verry unstable. I drive to Montreal every day and have alway been pleased with Nokian Hakka 7 but on VW in the past. So my experience is, I 'll stick to pricy & bumpy FRT's.
The mechanic showed me all the suspension elements mounted on bushing, and told my that's why it must be paired with FRT for stable driving. Next Summer I'll mount Nokian Zline in FRT version.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Bon Vivant!

Question More brevity please!

It isn't necessary to copy the original post.

And exactly what is an FRT?

I have to laugh at the idea a mechanic can point to suspension parts and make such an outrageous claim that the suspension is tailored for RFTs (run flat tires). Only BMW can make such an idiotic assertion.

In most cases with performance upgrades or enhancements, the proof is in the pudding. The Michelins do deliver the goods! I expect that RFTs will go the direction of bell bottom pants and be regarded as another goofy idea.

Another thought especially about German cars is BMW and Mercedes too are always coming up with ideas that sometimes aren't appreciated by the unwashed masses. In the case of RFTs, they wanted to eliminate the bother of providing a spare in the truck. You might notice the battery now lives there.

Finally, the RFTs from TireRack cost $1,202! When they wear out, owners are going to have a very hard time ponying up those kinds of bucks for tires!

The odd couple!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
And exactly what is an FRT?
Uhh - a mistyped RFT?

Quote:
In the case of RFTs, they wanted to eliminate the bother of providing a spare in the truck. You might notice the battery now lives there.
Both my '97 Z4 and '99 E46 came with go-flats with spares and the batteries were in the trunk.

Just as there are good and bad standard tires, there are suitable and unsuitable run-flats - depending on one's needs and preferences. So while my Boxster will keep it's non-RFT summer performance tires (even though Porsche hasn't provided a spare in years), I'll probably replace the OEM all-season RFTs on my DD '07 E91 with better RFTs for the convenience when the time comes.

Tom
Old 11-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 135i
I had the same issue. I like the idea of RFT but they are too expensive too replace

I got Misc Pilot Super Sports and I cannot say enough about the ride.

I got a E86 i cant wait to replace the RFTs on those as well
Old 11-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Bon Vivant!

Yes the Michelin Pilot Super Sport were CU's second choice for summer UHP tires. I was thinking about them for the Mercedes down the road or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3!

The odd couple!