Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-17-2013, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: X5
quality issue on power window regulator and bad customer service

I love my X5's handling, a 2002 manual edition and had kept it since the first day, even when I am working overseas for the past few years. But, it has one repeated problem, regulars on the power window. I have at least went through four of them, they seems to just not last.

The latest one happend in Yellow Stone National Park while I was trying to enjoy my vacation. Called Irvine BMW where I had my car serviced before, and was told that regulator was service in Sept the previous year and still under warranty and only needed to take it to the nearest dealership to get it fixed. Called the 800 roadside assistant and was told the nearst one is at Idaho Falls, so I droved over round trip over 300 miles round trip to Idaho Falls, but was told no parts but I still have to pay them to put the window up so that I can drive back to California to get it fixed.

Back to Irvine and was told the window is not under warranty, has to pay another $170 just for the inspection! Called the national servie center, talked to the "supervisor" named Sean Reily, the guy was just a very rude and ignorant person, regusing to listen to the case and blame on car was made in 2002, ignoring the fact I had hardly driven it (only 52k miles today), and went through so many regulartors.

I heard a friend of mine had the same regulator issue and he had to sell his car in the end. Shouldn't BMW look into the technical issues instead of srewing customers all along? Anyone else had similar experience? I read some people raise the issue on the net and trying to fix it themself to save the cost, but shouldn't such a frequent problem by addressed by BMW?
Ads by Google
Old 11-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5 4.4i
My window has the same issue, I replaced the regulator and motor but it just failed again. I heard it something to do with the clips or something. I'm gonna do some research and take it apart and see if I can fix it. Il update with results.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
This is why I learn to DYI as much as I can, since my first bimmer, or prepare to pay up.
BMW as a company will not look into this matter, trying to improve on some support products that they didn't make. Consider the SAV was introduced more than a decade ago, they'd moved on to the second newer models already.

01 //M5 (soon to be For Sale)
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)[/B]
Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo

Last edited by tmvE39/E53/Z32; 11-19-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:39 AM
Account Under Review

That's true, its still frustrating that I have to figure out the problem and design a fix instead of the company sayin "sorry we screwed up here's a fix" I love these cars (my dads 2005 audi a6 a little more, nice brown leather interior, led lights, nice guages) but they really don't take any responsibility like other manufacturers. Hell my 2001 ford just had a voluntary recall for fuel tank straps because they messed up. If ford can do it for a truck as old as a 2001 f150 why can't bmw do a cheaper fix for newer x5's (which btw cost 3x a ford truck). Rediculous if you ask me.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
I can symphatized with OP, but the car has been out of waranty regardless mileage. Sometime BMW go ahead fix it out of waranty sometime they act like an ass.
Irvine BMW should be clear that their work is waranty for 1yr but not cover nationwide by other BMW dealers, that's wrong info; then they screw OP again by charging inspection fee.
Yep, it's not an easy DIY; I fixed one or two of them including door lock actuator on X5.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Account Under Review

Yeah but its just rediculous, like I said b4 my 13 year old ford was voluntarily recalled for gas tank straps (which is a real pita) but BMW won't fix a window? I hope they know that if something happens it could become a huge deal. I'm just surprised that such a high end manufacturer is this low...
Old 11-20-2013, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
I don't understand entirely what criteria BMW would fix something out of waranty, from my limited experience it's anything to do with safety.
For example, my X5 instrument cluster missing pixels issue was never recalled but BMWNA fixed it out of waranty (I paid 1hr labor though); but no-dice on missing pixel on radio.

Right now, I am frustrated on how BMWNA handles the 535i (all E60 5-series) rear lamp holder melting due to poor contact, to me it's potential fire hazard not to mention getting hit from behind for no brake lights; it's being recalled but it's like pulling teeth. Then there was batt-cable recalled, mine looks good and yet they wanted me to come in.
So again, it's my car and my safety, if BMWNA doesn't want to do it it's my duty for my own safety (and my family's) to fix it out of pocket instead waiting for BMWNA to do something. I am not "white-knight"in BMW here, it's just the way engineer thinking works I guess.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Account Under Review

when you engineer a vehicle with such a hefty price tag it should be engineered and manufactured solid. Why should I pay 3x the cost of a Toyota for something far less reliable, I could pay the same and get a Lexus which is much better quality. Nothin against BMWNA im just confused as to what makes them so special that I have to pay so much for a vehicle that continues to suffer in reliability. I don't mind fixing things but I shouldn't have to deal with manufacturing faults every place I look. If BMW charges based on quality, then its a whole different story.