Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 11-19-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: E34 525i
E34 525i Question

Hi You guys ! My second post and I'm enjoying Bimmerfest way friendlier than Bimmer Forums but that's off topic . I wanna know is the E34 525i with the M50tu is fast? No not to today's standards and no not to a E34 540i driver either , but on paper the M50 will get you to 60 mph in around 7.7 seconds I've heard it do it in around 7 flat. But I'm not worried about 0-60, I wanna know what it's like when you step your foot down on the peddle at around 30 mph how is the Throttle Response and I've seen on other forums that on auto tranny's you have a A/E switch and if you put it on "A" you get a "Sporty Mode" ? I don't expect E60 M5 speed but I just wanna know what it can do if a little 4cyl Civic wanted to push my buttons . LOL !
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Quote:
I wanna know is the E34 525i with the M50tu is fast?
There are three types of fast:

1. Drag race fast
2. Top speed fast
3. Skid pad fast

To which are you referring to?

The character of the E34 is that of a grand tourer disguised as a coupe, but with 4 doors.

When you drive one, it feels smaller than it is...and that can get your ego into a pickle come play time.

On the scales, it's a sow. With anything smaller than the M30 engine, it's a pregnant sow.

If the entire point is to lay waste to Civics around the metro area, it'll be the wrong car.

The E34 is a cruise missile. It's operational checklist reads:

1. Top off the tank
2. Clean off the windshield
3. Pick a destination a few hundred miles away
4. Get on the interstate
5. Set the cruise at 80+ MPH
6. Tilt the entire seat backwards 30 degrees
7. Turn the radio onto the game
8. Start into that tall cup of Starbucks
9. Watch the odometer tick away as you ride the magic carpet.

P.S. - (and this is coming from a guy who also owns/drives an Accord) If you truly want to give a Civic a run for their money, you need only get 'em up above 90 MPH. Regardless of engine size, the big 5'er will do 110-125 MPH aaaaaaall-daaaaaaay-looooooong. Quite casually. Even with 3 adult passengers.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: E34 525i
Lol I'll explain it alittle better . Fast as in imagine your on the highway sitting behind a long 18 wheeler going rather slow and you wanna pull ahead of him does the 525i have that "Pull" felling when you step on the Acceleration ? I don't want to race Ricers but you know one day you might have to . I've seen that the M50 "Wakes Up" around 4000 rpms! Lol most people will look at the E34 as a Old BMW because if I was in a Civic I sure would ! And your right about cursing at 80 I've seen that the l6 is very smooth. Thanks for your response bro