Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:43 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
I had two or three flat tires on my previous car, an S2000, which I had for 13 years. Always a nail or screw the right rear and each time I noticed it as I was returning to the car when it was parked in a parking lot, never on the road. The S2000 had a mini-spare, but because of the LSD and the difference in size between the rear tires and the mini-spare, if you got a flat on a rear tire you had to mount the mini-spare on the front and move the front to the rear so a rear flat tire was a real PITA.

My wife has been driving for almost 30 years and had never had a flat until we were in Trier on a Euro Delivery with her 2011 335is Coupe. We had turned over 1200 miles earlier in the day and were doing about 140 MPH on the Autobahn when we pulled into Trier and the TPMS went off. A run flat tire with a huge screw embedded right in the middle of the tire on a Saturday afternoon in Germany means a new tire but not until Monday morning as nothing is open.

For my MR, I have the M Mobility Kit, a plug kit, AAA Plus, Liberty Mutual Roadside Assistance (included with my auto insurance) and BMW Assist. One of these will be most suited for the situation should it arise.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 11-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 auto
I've had my Z4 for five years, still on run flats. No tire catastrophes. My most recent flat was three cars (and about fifteen years) back. With the Z4 I did pick up a staple last year, which gave me a slow leak. The TPMS started altering frequently, so I had the damaged tire fixed. As for worrying about tires on road trips, why bother? With fifteen years of no flats, I can find more likely problems to worry about. No doubt a catastrophic tire failure on a Sunday in some remote place would be vexing, but it's just not likely to happen.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 AM
ZEDHEAD

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0i
Just purchased a set of General Altimax Artic snow/ice tires, they are not runflat and cost only $122 each from the Tirerack to replace the worn Blizzaks. I will have them installed Friday. The speed rating is only Q 99mph so I guess I'll have to slow down a bit I'm interested to see if there is as big a difference in ride as I expect from all the posts slamming the runflats.

“Thou art to me a delicious torment.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 11-25-2013, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 Coupe
spare tire for me - along with plug kit, slime and compressor - I nicked a curb that chunked the sidewall - very happy I had a spare to drive home on ...