Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
Stereo Upgrade project

Ok so I decided to upgrade my factory stereo with a Pioneer, Blue tooth, USB one. I hate having all kinds of wires that are not necessary or not being used. With that being said, after taking out the factory amplifier, I realized that the speakers were all connected to it. This posed a great issue due to the fact that now I had to upgrade all the speakers. So this is the beginning to the dismantling of my car. Here are a few pic. I took out all the factory speaker/amp wiring, including old school pre-wired phone cabling and GPS cabling, since now-a-days everything is Wifi-cell phone-ipad enabled. Here are some pics of the mess I got myself into. This is the start. I will post pictures of it complete after I finish it by this weekend. I think that a good stereo system in my car is like getting it a boob job. Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	408372   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	408373   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	408374   Click image for larger version

Name:	wires.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	408375  

Last edited by Saneude; 11-19-2013 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Pics did not show
Ads by Google
Old 11-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
I think you're WAY too bored, or perhaps have a serious case of OCD...
Old 11-19-2013, 01:42 PM
1998 BMW Z3 2.8L

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
Just a thought. Couldn't you have used the existing wire for the new installation and speakers?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfunk View Post
Just a thought. Couldn't you have used the existing wire for the new installation and speakers?
Though I didn't rip all of my existing wiring out, the only wiring I found that was usable for a new system was the amp turn-on leads and (borderline) the subwoofer speaker wires.

I'm running 250W to my sub and the existing wires are roughly equivalent to 14ga. Since I went up to approx 80W per driver (not per channel) up front, the wires from the main amp to the front speakers were woefully inadequate. Factory wiring for those I think is around 20-21ga and I went with 16ga.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:03 PM
DROZ3

Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2001 3L Roadster
Hummmm, this could be a good DIY for this winter, car will be in the garage for 6 months, never liked the way my sound system (headunit,speakers,amp, ...) was done.
But I have to decide first if I go from a single DIN AVIC-N4 to a more modern double DIN full screen GPS headunit, with some mod to fir the double DIN of course.

2001 3.0L 5-speeds,Topaz Blue/Sport+Premium package/Stong-Strut trilogy/Front and rear Bilstein shocks/Rogue Engineering rear shock mount/Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/CDV delete/Vanos Rebuilt/Conforti CAI/Jim Conforti Shark/LeatherZ Mark2 armrest/DRL module/European Wiper Module/Pioneer AVIC-N4 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+iPod/iPhone interface+Bluetooth+12CD Charger/ASA-AR1 18" wheels+Michelin PSS/Bi-Xenon upgrade.
Latest mod : 3.73 diff. ... WOW
Old 11-19-2013, 06:52 PM

droz3 that is one nice Z3 also and to dkindig, you are right.... I think I do have OCD. I was going to use the wires from the car but when I got to the factory amp and all of the other useless wires in the trunk, I thought... Way too much BS to just have, clean it up, so everything had to come out.

I installed a Pioneer single din head unit that has USB, blue tooth, Sirius satellite capable, microphone for phone call. I picked it up from crutchfield for about $150. I also bought Hertz ECX 130.5 which are component 5 1/4" with tweeter and crossover to put back in the kick panel speaker holes and placed the Hertz tweeters in the door speaker grills. Once I took off the little door speakers I used a Dremel with cutting disc to modify the larger of the two factory speaker to use as a support for the tweeters allowing me to screw them back into their place. It came out awesome. For the rear speakers I have ordered some Hertz ECX 100.5 which are 4" mids for behind the seat. They should be here tomorrow. At the moment the car is completely together. Just waiting for the mids. I have purchased a phoenix gold amp, a phoenix gold pro line driver to amplify the radio's sub voltage to 8v and some JL Audio 8 inch 2ohm subs. Here is a pic of a custom box I made for the trunk. Already fit in the car, I can still open the battery flap to get to the tire or the battery with no problem. Check out this custom box...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	408462  

Last edited by Saneude; 11-19-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM

Stereo install

More pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	78
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	408465  

Last edited by Saneude; 11-19-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:08 PM

Another

Sorry I could not post more than one with the iPad.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	53
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	408466  
Old 11-19-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droz3 View Post
Hummmm, this could be a good DIY for this winter, car will be in the garage for 6 months, never liked the way my sound system (headunit,speakers,amp, ...) was done.
But I have to decide first if I go from a single DIN AVIC-N4 to a more modern double DIN full screen GPS headunit, with some mod to fir the double DIN of course.
I was all up in everything within the dash and all. I would recommend a single din since any modification would be extreme to your main console. If you are adamant about a double din, I've seen some single dins that eject a screen out. I thought this was pretty cool but I think of the electronic strip that would be bending...this may have issues in the future but I am pretty sure that where there is a will, there is a way... Good luck...
Old 11-21-2013, 06:24 PM
DROZ3

Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2001 3L Roadster
I actually have he single DIN with the screen which pops-out .... and blocks the main air vents. I have seen photos of double DIN being installed in a Z3, you are right, extensive modifications are needed behind the console.
The problem with the AVIC-N4 I have is that you get iPod, iPhone, Bluetooth, XM radio, XM Traffic and GPS through 6 modules installed in daisy chain with the CD charge as the last module in the daisy chain. I had to tuck the 6 modules in all the hidden places I could find in the Z3 (ain't that many to start with) then each needs power, ground and data cable. That makes for a lot of wires.
The new AVIC-Z150BH has iPod, iPhone, Bluetooth, traffic and GPS incorporated in the double DIN, only the Sirius requires a small module (and I prefer Sirius to XM anyway. So a much cleaner installation.

2001 3.0L 5-speeds,Topaz Blue/Sport+Premium package/Stong-Strut trilogy/Front and rear Bilstein shocks/Rogue Engineering rear shock mount/Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/CDV delete/Vanos Rebuilt/Conforti CAI/Jim Conforti Shark/LeatherZ Mark2 armrest/DRL module/European Wiper Module/Pioneer AVIC-N4 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+iPod/iPhone interface+Bluetooth+12CD Charger/ASA-AR1 18" wheels+Michelin PSS/Bi-Xenon upgrade.
Latest mod : 3.73 diff. ... WOW
Old 12-27-2013, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5
Are most of the speaker wires ran along the door sill? or drive shaft channel?

Any more pictures?
Old 12-27-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn View Post
Are most of the speaker wires ran along the door sill? or drive shaft channel?

Any more pictures?
Hello, Sorry... I have been too busy and have not had a chance to update you guys. The project has come out better than expected. I have everything sounding clean and everything looks really clean too. It is way better than when I first got the car. Many of the clips for the dash were broken. I fabricated my own metal clips instead of buying bmws plastic clips. The completion came out very tight. I am very happy with it. Now in response to your question URN about the speaker wires. I am posting some of the old pictures with red marking for your reference on where the wires are. The wires run along the drive shaft channel. I am also posting a few others but not yet the completed look on everything. I need to take the completed look for you guys. Here is a couple just for your small update. I hope you all like. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	414357   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW1.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	414358   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW2.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	414359   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW3.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	414360   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW4.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	414361  

Last edited by Saneude; 12-27-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Thanks, I want to run the wires from the head unit to the kick panel speakers, but wan't sure if BMW ran the wires through the dash or what have you.

Good of you to add lugs to mount the line driver! Good Luck with everything!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 2.8 Auto Roadster
This is a pretty amazing upgrade you're doing to the existing sound system and I'm envious, but for me, I'd like to just put in something better than what came with the original system and of course do away with the 6 CD stacker.
Any thoughts on what makes a simple/elegant swap to a better system that can handle iPhone/iTouch connectivity and mp3?

BTW, my little Z3 is red and I love the colour, but your Topaz blue droz3 is definitely a stunner (;->
Old 01-01-2014, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
There are quite a few stereo upgrade threads here. Just replace whatever your budget allows: new head unit, amplifier, speakers. It's all standard stuff. In my opinion, the wiring is the only part of the system worth saving.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _alvin_ View Post
This is a pretty amazing upgrade you're doing to the existing sound system and I'm envious, but for me, I'd like to just put in something better than what came with the original system and of course do away with the 6 CD stacker.
Any thoughts on what makes a simple/elegant swap to a better system that can handle iPhone/iTouch connectivity and mp3?

BTW, my little Z3 is red and I love the colour, but your Topaz blue droz3 is definitely a stunner (;->
Hello Alvin, I have to agree with the previous post on the wiring is worth saving. One major thing that I did notice is that BMW uses pretty good grade quality wire. Although I did remove everything, I did use some of the longest wires that were on the car as stereo to speaker wiring. I kept the color code very close to the dealers so that if I ever decide to do anything like this again... It will be much easier.

In any case, I must agree with you on getting rid of the CD changer. The unit that I used is a pioneer with front USB connection, Bluetooth, CD player. The USB option alone replaces the CD changer. I am using a micro USB 8gig thumb drive filled with music on it. With the Bluetooth, I have the radio also synced to my iPhone, IPod, and my iPad. This radio is awesome and allows you to receive and send phone calls through the stereo system. It came with a small speaker that you plug into the back of the stereo. I put the speaker on my visor and ran it through the driver side front molding. I think I only paid $140 for the head unit through Crutchfield. I recommend that if you are going to buy a new head unit, you consider them. If you buy a stereo that is $129 and over, they include the adapter harness and the antenna adapter for free. This in itself is extremely beneficial for a simple installation that you can easily do without all the stuff I did. I purchased the Pioneer DEH-X6600BS. I am a Pioneer fan... I personally think that you can never go wrong with Pioneer. Well I hope this helps.

Last edited by Saneude; 01-01-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saneude View Post
I am a Pioneer fan... I personally think that you can never go wrong with Pioneer. Well I hope this helps.
I agree, I was broadsided in my old car, and my Pioneer CD player skipped once, that was the only time it ever skipped, and it still worked afterwards!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 z3/2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saneude View Post
Ok so I decided to upgrade my factory stereo with a Pioneer, Blue tooth, USB one. I hate having all kinds of wires that are not necessary or not being used. With that being said, after taking out the factory amplifier, I realized that the speakers were all connected to it. This posed a great issue due to the fact that now I had to upgrade all the speakers. So this is the beginning to the dismantling of my car. Here are a few pic. I took out all the factory speaker/amp wiring, including old school pre-wired phone cabling and GPS cabling, since now-a-days everything is Wifi-cell phone-ipad enabled. Here are some pics of the mess I got myself into. This is the start. I will post pictures of it complete after I finish it by this weekend. I think that a good stereo system in my car is like getting it a boob job. Let me know what you guys think.
I'm about to do the same to my 2000 z3. But why not use the stock wires?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougpaulburdic View Post
I'm about to do the same to my 2000 z3. But why not use the stock wires?
You totally can. My issue was that I was removing the amplifier, cd changer, and completely replacing everything.. Just too many wires for me to make any simple sense on what was what, so I decided to start completely new with a simple layout that I would be able to understand for as long as I may own the car.. I think I am OCD and like simplicity. Once you look at the amp harness you'll understand.. But it is all preference. I for one am extremely satisfied with the outcome...

Last edited by Saneude; 01-01-2014 at 06:11 PM.