Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Rolling Coal in the SAV

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35D, '07 550i
Nokian WRG2 Tires for X5 19s?

Does anyone run the Nokian WRG2 tires on their X5s with the 19" SAV wheels? It is almost winter and our X5 is like a barge in the snow. It gets 0 traction and when I tow my snowmobile trailer I am always afraid it is going to bog down and im going to burry the thing. I got it stuck last winter at a friends cabin up north and had to get towed out by my friends Yukon XL .

I have a friend who has this tire on theri 01 X5 3.0 and they love the tire. I research and can get this tire for my 19s. I would prefer to not buy a second set of wheels and tires for this since the OE runflats suck in everything and I could use this tire in the summer as well.

Any experience with these? Would like to hear from some more people. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
I was told by my local Nokian dealer that you CAN run them year-round, but they will not last nearly as long as a normal all-season due to the soft compound. However, they are supposed to be fantastic in the snow!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: X5 E70 30D MSport
WannabeX5

Today I changed to a new set of winter wheels with the new Nokian WR SUV 3XL - 255/50X19
I have only driven back from garage and with dry tarmac (+5 degree C), so cannot give any feedback. But here in Europe, this new Nokian (and also the WRG2) are winning tests and get very good recommendation.
http://www.tyretrade.ie/index.php/no...tyre-test/5958
http://www.reifendirekt.com/RDNews4380.html

Hope this helps

JensM
Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Nokian tires have a great reputation in the Nordic countries. I had the WR's on our XC90 and they were excellent in snow. Got noisy when the tire thread was getting low.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Erlkoenig
Mein Auto: German stuff
I love the tread design of the Nokian's, but would be very weary running them all year round. Hence the reason all-season tires don't work as well in the cold and snow like winter specific tires do. Why run winter tires in summer? I can't imagine the handling characteristics would be any better than all seasons. Not trying to be a hater, maybe save you a few bucks since Nokians are $$.
2013 X5 35d: Platinum gray metallic, Sport pkg with 20", premium pkg, multi-contour, cold wx pkg, premium stereo w/Sirius, soft close doors, smart phone int, custom coding, 18" Sport Edition w/Michelin xICE2.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 535i, 330ci
I ran these in a slightly smaller size on my 535i year round. They are a good middle road alternative for generally purposes. I drove them in light and heavy snow. And throughout warmer summer weather in upstate. Summer performance is ok. They are soft and get "squishy" on the drive. But for best true all season performance, you get what you pay for. I liked these tires. I am now have two sets of rims (but only since I got a deal on second set). Run Nokians summer and Hakks now, but you will be fine with the WRs. JMO.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Rolling Coal in the SAV

If they are softer than the RFTs than that would be a pro as far as im concerned.

My friend who has these on his 01 X5 bought them because the tire is a winter rated all season that can be driven year round and he had no issues this summer with them. They actually took a good flogging through the twisties with no problems..

My dilemma is that this X5 is a lease, and we aren't sure if we are going to keep it at the end of it. The RFTs will need replacement before we turn it in and BMW is stingy about turning in a car that has runflats on it. We figured run this until the end and then just throw the current bridgestones on right before turning it in if we go that route and then recycle the Nokians or if they are still good try to sell them and recoup some money.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
I ran WRG2 on my Mercedes in Michigan year round. A great all-weather tire.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: X5 E70 30D MSport
Just a note.
The Nokian WRG2 is an ALL-SEASON tire, which means can be used all year round - a kind of universal.
The Nokian WR SUV 3XL is a true high performance WINTER tire. Due to the special rubber compound it is not recommended using true winter tires with temperatures above 7 degree C. Among others the stopping length is far too long, ride is softer (I know, some like this) its ability in curves is less good than a true summer tire. Plus the fact it wear much faster than a summer tire when temperature is above 7 degree C.
However, nothing there is 'universal' is really good, it is average but not really good in any disciplines - there is simply too many factors pointing in each direction, so a All-Season tire will always be a kind of compromise. I am not saying they are bad, can read a lot of people use them as they obviously prefer only having one set of tires etc. But will always be a compromise.
But any way, even Nokian's All-Season tires have good recommendation so would be a good choose if looking at All-Season. For winter tires, Nokian are rated in the top here in Europe. A side note is that in Europe you don't see many All-Seasons, people typically have a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires

Cheers,
JensM
Old 11-19-2013, 07:09 AM
diesel evangelist

Jens-
Over here there are many all-season tires, but the WRG2 has the distinction of being an all-WEATHER tire. It actually carries the symbol signifying its use as a snow tire.

I can speak from experience in an environment where the road conditions were changing throughout the winter: dry, slush, ice, packed snow. The WRG2 handled it all and made my front engine, rear wheel drive vehicle feel very secure on the road.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: German
Re: Nokian WRG2 Tires for X5 19s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
Jens-
Over here there are many all-season tires, but the WRG2 has the distinction of being an all-WEATHER tire. It actually carries the symbol signifying its use as a snow tire.

I can speak from experience in an environment where the road conditions were changing throughout the winter: dry, slush, ice, packed snow. The WRG2 handled it all and made my front engine, rear wheel drive vehicle feel very secure on the road.
What kind of wear are you seeing from them? Can I expect 30-40k miles?

- Sent from Galaxy S4
Old 11-19-2013, 03:08 PM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
What kind of wear are you seeing from them? Can I expect 30-40k miles?

- Sent from Galaxy S4
I think I got 50K mi from them on the Mercedes. I replaced them with Continentals because nobody sells Nokians in TX
Old 11-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Rolling Coal in the SAV

I full well know the benefits of a summer tire and winter tire combo. Both my 550i and my G37x sport Michelin Pilot Super Sports for summer and their own winter tires for winter (Dunlop Wintersport M3 on the 550i and General Altimax Arctic on the G37x)

However, for what the X5 is used for, a tire like this will work much better than a true summer tire without the necessity to swap in the winter or buy separate rims.

I think I am going to get these ordered up pretty quickly here. Our X5 was a death trap last winter on brand new Bridgestone Dueler RFTs, I can't imagine they have gotten better after 19,000 miles...

Thanks for your input everyone and I look forward to seeing if anyone else orders up a set of these for their X5s. Seem like a great tire.