Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: NA
Servotronic is standard now

When checking my production process on bmwusa.com today, I found that 'Servotronic' (which I DIDN'T order) is on my option list. Then I asked my dealer about that, he told me that 'Servotronic' is standard on X1 now... It shows up a option but will move to the standard equipment in a month or so.
Ads by Google
Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Yep - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...15#post7786315
Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
servotronic makes it a girls car...
Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: Honda
More options for the money. I'm down with it
Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 28i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchendesign View Post
When checking my production process on bmwusa.com today, I found that 'Servotronic' (which I DIDN'T order) is on my option list. Then I asked my dealer about that, he told me that 'Servotronic' is standard on X1 now... It shows up a option but will move to the standard equipment in a month or so.
Does anyone know if it's possible to turn the Servotronic off?

The xdrive with Servotronic feels light steering similar to the sdrive... One of the reason we ordered xdrive is for the nice steering feeling while we test-drive the 2013, but unfortunately it's standard now on our 2014 which we just picked up last week.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_AUS View Post

The xdrive with Servotronic feels light steering similar to the sdrive... One of the reason we ordered xdrive is for the nice steering feeling while we test-drive the 2013, but unfortunately it's standard now on our 2014 which we just picked up last week.
BMW says the following:

The Servotronic control unit adjusts the amount of steering assistance to suit the speed of the vehicle. An electromagnetic valve accurately controls the amount of force applied by the steering hydraulics, enabling outstandingly precise steering that suits your current driving situation. Conventional power steering systems, by contrast, regulate the power steering in relation to the engine's RPM. The electromechanical steering system EPS uses an electric motor to achieve the same effect.
Thanks to Servotronic, driving along narrow streets or parking becomes easier as it requires minimum effort to turn the steering wheel. The power assist progressively decreases when the vehicle speeds up, ensuring greater stability, improved precision and smoother vehicle behaviour.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: E84 / E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowhatanDP View Post
BMW says the following:

The Servotronic control unit adjusts the amount of steering assistance to suit the speed of the vehicle. An electromagnetic valve accurately controls the amount of force applied by the steering hydraulics, enabling outstandingly precise steering that suits your current driving situation. Conventional power steering systems, by contrast, regulate the power steering in relation to the engine's RPM. The electromechanical steering system EPS uses an electric motor to achieve the same effect.
Thanks to Servotronic, driving along narrow streets or parking becomes easier as it requires minimum effort to turn the steering wheel. The power assist progressively decreases when the vehicle speeds up, ensuring greater stability, improved precision and smoother vehicle behaviour.
I got used to it. I now believe it's a great feature.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_AUS View Post

I was hoping this was not true...

I test drove xdrive 28i during the ultimate driving event in May, and the steering was just perfect, why did they have to mess things up again.

So ok, it is lighter, but does it have that detached feeling that the other models that have EPS do?
Old 09-28-2013, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Servotronic is a sad development.

If you can get it without, you will not be disappointed.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 S4
I was reading about the X135 as a possible replacement for my 2010 335d and BMW had to go and kill one of the things I was looking for(hydraulic steering). I test drove 2010 Q5 when I was car shopping 4 years ago and it had similar steering which I hated. Maybe I could still find X1 without servotronic to test drive.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 35
Servotronic steering is NOT EPS. Servotronic steering is hydraulic. It increases power steering boost at lower drive speeds. That's all.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 PM

A servotronic control unit regulates the amount of hydraulic assist being applied. Less organic feel 4 sure. Robs you of road feel in general -- through turns -- especially at lower speeds.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by zznalg View Post
Servotronic steering is NOT EPS. Servotronic steering is hydraulic. It increases power steering boost at lower drive speeds. That's all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popopine View Post
A servotronic control unit regulates the amount of hydraulic assist being applied. Less organic feel 4 sure. Robs you of road feel in general -- through turns -- especially at lower speeds.
There was a discussion of this 3 months ago (I remember it because I got spanked.). Servotronic is independent of the steering type (EPS or Hydraulic). On EPS, it's just some different programming/electronics to vary the boost. On Hydraulic it's different valving to give more boost at low speeds.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=servotronic

Doesn't really answer the question of whether servotronic is no longer optional for both EPS and Hydraulic, but my guess is "yes".
Old 10-11-2013, 08:32 AM

Does anybody knows when exactly servotronic became standard on 2014s. I went last weekend to try to test drive 28i xdrive (presumably withj servotronic), they didn't have any in stock, but I was told that when I did the ultimate drive in May, all of their 28i were servotronic at that point. I don't know, a bit hard to believe because the steering was very nice and heavy.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked335d View Post
I was reading about the X135 as a possible replacement for my 2010 335d and BMW had to go and kill one of the things I was looking for(hydraulic steering). I test drove 2010 Q5 when I was car shopping 4 years ago and it had similar steering which I hated. Maybe I could still find X1 without servotronic to test drive.
The X1 35i has always had servo standard, it is still hydrolic steering. I do not find it over boosted, feels heavier then the servo N20s I test drove , and road feel /handling with the hydrolic steering is good. It is def better then the disconnected no feel light steering you find on most cars/SUVs. I have the M Sport, no idea if it makes any differnce in servo programming, but although you can tell it is assisted at low speeds and as 4 wheel drive is not as direct as rwd it is not horrible dull light and floaty.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkled View Post
The X1 35i has always had servo standard, it is still hydrolic steering. I do not find it over boosted, feels heavier then the servo N20s I test drove , and road feel /handling with the hydrolic steering is good. It is def better then the disconnected no feel light steering you find on most cars/SUVs. I have the M Sport, no idea if it makes any differnce in servo programming, but although you can tell it is assisted at low speeds and as 4 wheel drive is not as direct as rwd it is not horrible dull light and floaty.
Thanks. It could be that M Sport makes a difference. I do know that the xdrive 28i I drove didin't have M sport for sure. I haven't driven 35i partially to avoid temptation, and also I do like the new 8 speed transmission (well, ok, I'd take a manual instead any day but that's just not possible)
Old 10-11-2013, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: Varies
If you get the chance and can fight temptation give one a try. I use the paddles exclusively and am fine with the 6 speed, it seems well mated to the N55, its certainly not geared towards fuel savings like the 8 speed though but the engine isn't either . You will feel the gears more then the 8 speed it's not seamless but that is something I like about it. (Also didn't like the 8 speed on the X3 35 , lag was terrible and felt akin to cvt)

Last edited by Farkled; 10-11-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkled View Post
If you get the chance and can fight temptation give one a try. I use the paddles exclusively and am fine with the 6 speed, it seems well mated to the N55, its certainly not geared towards fuel savings like the 8 speed though but the engine isn't either . You will feel the gears more then the 8 speed it's not seamless but that is something I like about it. (Also didn't like the 8 speed on the X3 35 , lag was terrible and felt akin to cvt)
You are right, I should.

I wonder if the 8 speed lag on x3 35 was a programming issue, we actually have a late 2013 X3 28i, and I don't think it has a lag problem. Granted I don't drive it often
Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
Thanks for this thread - it really cleared up a mystery for me, since I got a 2014 X1 xDrive28 as a service loaner that on the surface looks configured identical to my 2013 X1 xDrive28.

I hate to admit it, since it seems to be against the conventional wisdom on the forum here, but so far I'm loving the steering with Servotronic in comparison to my 2013 car... in retrospect, I should have ordered it. It makes the car feel much more responsive, in my opinion.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleX1 View Post
Thanks for this thread - it really cleared up a mystery for me, since I got a 2014 X1 xDrive28 as a service loaner that on the surface looks configured identical to my 2013 X1 xDrive28.

I hate to admit it, since it seems to be against the conventional wisdom on the forum here, but so far I'm loving the steering with Servotronic in comparison to my 2013 car... in retrospect, I should have ordered it. It makes the car feel much more responsive, in my opinion.

Different strokes for different folks. I can understand why the servo feels more lively. It aids in your action so in a way it certainly is more responsive -- more responsive to you. The hydraulic has a more dead feel because you're feeling the road. You could say it offers more road response -- which allows you to react precisely.

Last edited by popopine; 11-19-2013 at 04:59 PM.