Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Question F15 vs E70 steering rack comparison

Can anyone tell me if

1. The new F15 will have the new electronic or retain hydraulic steering ?

2. Do all the E70 have hydraulic steering up until 2013 ?

That will tell me which one to get as I prefer the hydraulic steering from my first X5 (E53).
I can't stand the new EPS on the newest cars.
Ads by Google
Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Simple for the X5: ALL ARE EPS Units from 2014
All 2013 and before are Hydraulic

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:04 AM

Thanks for clarifying my fear...

I will get a 2013 X5.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
After driving the F15 I couldn't say I was disappointed with the EPS steering. Clearly this system is getting better in each iteration and it is now good enough that the next generation M3/M4 will be using it. If having the hydraulic steering is the most important feature for you then by all means get the 2013 but I did very much enjoy the new generation X5 and think it may surprise you.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:07 PM

Steering feedback is probably the most important feel of the road to me, thus my need to have HPS since 1982 when I first started driving.

Yes I will test drive a F15 but after having driven the EPS on many of the new BMWs, I have been seriously disappointed.

It would be nice to have EPS as good as an Audi who has actually created a steering feel on force feedback which I really enjoy.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: '11 35d, 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Steering feedback is probably the most important feel of the road to me, thus my need to have HPS since 1982 when I first started driving.

Yes I will test drive a F15 but after having driven the EPS on many of the new BMWs, I have been seriously disappointed.

It would be nice to have EPS as good as an Audi who has actually created a steering feel on force feedback which I really enjoy.
Hi Pat. I'm the same way on steering feel, as it's everything to me. Since my 95 5 series the relationship to the vehicle has steadily gotten less and less over the years.

Regarding the X5, I had a 2011 X5d with the sport package which was totaled a few months back. Pretty good feel and weight on the steering. Fortunately I was able to get a 2013 X5d produced a month before the end of the line came. However, the steering seems somewhat lighter, more boosted and less firm than the 2011 which I drove for 3 years and knew intimately. Almost as if they changed the rack from the previous year. Does anyone know if this could be the case? (I have a 2001 3 series that had the over-boosted rack and I got that out of there pretty quick. It has the ZPS rack and is like a different car.)
Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 3.5si
Steering feels definitely lighter in the 2014 X5 which my wife loved it (it is her car). I did not like much but will get used to. I noticed if you drive in Sport or Sport+ mode he steering ges way tougher and it is nice to handle.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
Steering feels definitely lighter in the 2014 X5 which my wife loved it (it is her car). I did not like much but will get used to. I noticed if you drive in Sport or Sport+ mode he steering ges way tougher and it is nice to handle.
I will definitely try the sport mode. Is your X5 the diesel? I'll report back my impressions. I cannot believe they changed the steering for the final year.... Just my luck.

The main thing is that at higher speeds there's a lack of tightness that's disconcerting and requires more corrections. I drove down to San Antonio from Dallas over the weekend and I really noticed the steering feel at 75-85mph on I 35. Pretty light/dead on center which is REALLY different than the 2011.

Rob
Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 AM

Huh? The final year of what? The E70 which was produced as a MY13 had no steering changes. Yes you could have ordered Active steering, but not for the Diesel I belive.

The F15, however is a whole another animal. The rack is an EPS unit. Some say its improved and refined, others complain of too light of a steering feel even in Sport+. The only way is to test drive a F15.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 3.5si
Mine is not a diesel. It is the 35xdrive with M Sport package. I read that BMW switched from hydraulic steering to electric one. The steering feels very light which my wife loved. Again, using it on Sport mode makes the steering more stiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixr View Post
I will definitely try the sport mode. Is your X5 the diesel? I'll report back my impressions. I cannot believe they changed the steering for the final year.... Just my luck.

The main thing is that at higher speeds there's a lack of tightness that's disconcerting and requires more corrections. I drove down to San Antonio from Dallas over the weekend and I really noticed the steering feel at 75-85mph on I 35. Pretty light/dead on center which is REALLY different than the 2011.

Rob
Old 11-19-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Hi Pat. I'm the same way on steering feel, as it's everything to me. Since my 95 5 series the relationship to the vehicle has steadily gotten less and less over the years.

Regarding the X5, I had a 2011 X5d with the sport package which was totaled a few months back. Pretty good feel and weight on the steering. Fortunately I was able to get a 2013 X5d produced a month before the end of the line came. However, the steering seems somewhat lighter, more boosted and less firm than the 2011 which I drove for 3 years and knew intimately. Almost as if they changed the rack from the previous year. Does anyone know if this could be the case? (I have a 2001 3 series that had the over-boosted rack and I got that out of there pretty quick. It has the ZPS rack and is like a different car.)
Yes, agreed, as I came from an E53, the steering has changed over the years to be less road and more ease of rotation.

Last week, I also got the last of the E70 in diesel instead of the F15 mainly due to the lack of a diesel engine, muted ride & steering and price point (lease would be over $250 more per month).

Steering as I understand for the E70 pre LCI to LCI has not changed - definitely hydraulic.

Did you change from a sport to a non sport ?
Wheel sizes changes from 20" to 18" which might affect feel.

I am hoping by the time I return my X5d, BMW will have improved their steering with a lot more force feedback and replicating torque steering and ride feel using sensors....
Old 11-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Huh? The final year of what? The E70 which was produced as a MY13 had no steering changes. Yes you could have ordered Active steering, but not for the Diesel I belive.

The F15, however is a whole another animal. The rack is an EPS unit. Some say its improved and refined, others complain of too light of a steering feel even in Sport+. The only way is to test drive a F15.
The steering for 2013 is still, of course, hydraulic, but it feels like there's a new rack. Definitely a lighter feel. Also at highway speeds it's somewhat loose and requires more small adjustments than I was used to in the 2011 model. (Sport package, 20" wheels, just like the new one I have. No active steering or anything in either.)

BMW changes racks from time to time (like the 2001 3 series!!) and all I can think is the rack is different than the previous year - at least from the 2011 model.

I did try the sport mode with the gear shift lever to the left as someone suggested and it does seem to tighten the steering. I have never heard or read of this as being a way to change the steering feel on an X5. Can someone confirm this? There's no mention in the owner's manual and I have never seen any reference to the steering feel being affected by using the sport mode anywhere.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
The steering for 2013 is still, of course, hydraulic, but it feels like there's a new rack. Definitely a lighter feel. Also at highway speeds it's somewhat loose and requires more small adjustments than I was used to in the 2011 model. (Sport package, 20" wheels, just like the new one I have. No active steering or anything in either.)

BMW changes racks from time to time (like the 2001 3 series!!) and all I can think is the rack is different than the previous year - at least from the 2011 model.

I did try the sport mode with the gear shift lever to the left as someone suggested and it does seem to tighten the steering. I have never heard or read of this as being a way to change the steering feel on an X5. Can someone confirm this? There's no mention in the owner's manual and I have never seen any reference to the steering feel being affected by using the sport mode anywhere.

Thanks
Maybe updated parts. However Sport on the tranny is just for that the high revs and thats pretty much about all it effects.

Why does this matter?