Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535i xdrive
4 Series Convertible on BMWUSA Configurator

”4servertconfig”

BMW 4 Series Convertible: Open-top driving pleasure redefined.

The world premiere of the BMW 4 Series Convertible marks the beginning of a new era of open-air driving pleasure. Thanks to its specific design vocabulary, the open-top four-seater stands out significantly from mid-range models of the BMW 3 Series. Unique aesthetics and the noticeable increase in size compared to the predecessor model give the BMW 4 Series Convertible an expressive presence.

You can now configure your 4 Series Convertible to your own specs with BMW's 4 Series configurator. The 428i and 435i are on the website, still waiting on the 428i xDrive. Check out the 4 Series Convertible configurator here!

Read more about the new 4 Series Convertible here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4vertconfig.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	408634  

Last edited by Bernie@Bimmerfest; 11-20-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: changes for feature
Ads by Google
Old 11-19-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Sweet, I have been waiting on this! N4S
Old 11-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Not so sweet - I jus' can't believe it - the weight of the new 435i is greater than my former portly e93 MT and no 6MT to boot. The 435i comes in at a very hefty 4095 lbs - what happened to the promised weight reduction?

Verts are all about sensuality and feeling in tune with your ride and the road. Moreover, the 6MT not only elicited passion but brightened the experience. I have very fond memories of my e93 335i MT. So much so, I was sorta thinking about not doing another M, and returning to the joyous fun of a new vert - I don't see that happening now.

The new 435i appears to be a huge disappointment on paper, maybe driving the car will change my mind....
Old 11-19-2013, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Not so sweet - I jus' can't believe it - the weight of the new 435i is greater than my former portly e93 MT and no 6MT to boot. The 435i comes in at a very hefty 4095 lbs - what happened to the promised weight reduction?

Verts are all about sensuality and feeling in tune with your ride and the road. Moreover, the 6MT not only elicited passion but brightened the experience. I have very fond memories of my e93 335i MT. So much so, I was sorta thinking about not doing another M, and returning to the joyous fun of a new vert - I don't see that happening now.

The new 435i appears to be a huge disappointment on paper, maybe driving the car will change my mind....
I would hold off on judgement in that regard, the specs are often translated from other non US sources.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 11-19-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: RDX
There's no mention on how much is the x drive option for 428 vert. Did anyone spot it??
Old 11-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I would hold off on judgement in that regard, the specs are often translated from other non US sources.
I am frustrated and I'm feeling increasingly alienated with respect to BMW's current offerings. I was really looking forward to the new 435i but not if it weighs in at 4100 lbs, and no MT. I hope you are correct - I was hoping BMW's new emphasis on weight reduction and efficiency would translate into a killer new 435i vert. If the specs are as on the configurator, I do not think I am interested. BMW really needs to nail the new coming M3/M4...all sins will be forgiven.....

Last edited by Capobranco; 11-19-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:

I was saying "sweet" because I wanted to get a look at the build your own. Now I kind of wish I hadn't. On further review, I agree with you. I hadn't noticed that there was no MT option, nor that the weight had climbed so high. I didn't look because I just couldn't/didn't want to believe it. I did notice that you have to bundle the Nav system, which I don't want, with the high end sterio which I do. Also the M sport brakes don't come with the M sport pkg. It seems like everything that comes out of BMW recently is a disapointment. I couldn't wait to trade in my e46 (which I really liked) on an e93. Now It seems I can't get a 435 the way I want it, MT or at least a DCT. For the price of a 4 series vert with options you are into Boxster S money. If the 235M is as big a let down as everything else BMW is making these days, perhaps that is the way I'll go in a couple of years. N4S
Old 11-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
I was saying "sweet" because I wanted to get a look at the build your own. Now I kind of wish I hadn't. On further review, I agree with you. I hadn't noticed that there was no MT option, nor that the weight had climbed so high. I didn't look because I just couldn't/didn't want to believe it. I did notice that you have to bundle the Nav system, which I don't want, with the high end sterio which I do. Also the M sport brakes don't come with the M sport pkg. It seems like everything that comes out of BMW recently is a disapointment. I couldn't wait to trade in my e46 (which I really liked) on an e93. Now It seems I can't get a 435 the way I want it, MT or at least a DCT. For the price of a 4 series vert with options you are into Boxster S money. If the 235M is as big a let down as everything else BMW is making these days, perhaps that is the way I'll go in a couple of years. N4S
+1 I feel your pain....assuming the specs on the configurator are correct - it would appear that the new 435i vert is being positioned as a 6 series-lite GT. I agree, as BMW continues to dilute its sporty offerings, guys who have always looked to BMW first will develop a wandering eye - Porsche Boxster?- great if you fit but I am 6'3" - just impossible, but I do fit in a 911. The M3 is truly a unique blend of sparking performance and utility. I really really hope the new M3/M4 is a brilliant star.

Last edited by Capobranco; 11-19-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I am frustrated and I'm feeling increasingly alienated with respect to BMW's current offerings. I was really looking forward to the new 435i but not if it weighs in at 4100 lbs, and no MT. I hope you are correct - I was hoping BMW's new emphasis on weight reduction and efficiency would translate into a killer new 435i vert. If the specs are as on the configurator, I do not think I am interested. BMW really needs to nail the new coming M3/M4...all sins will be forgiven.....
There is going to be no weight savings that gets you excited.

You have a larger car that will not weight more, look at 335 vs 335(E90 vs F30) and 335 vs 435(E92 vs F32), the weight savings might be 50-100lbs, Xdrives show the most improvement.

The F80/F82 are more weight savings driven.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 11-20-2013, 06:35 AM
xDriver

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Verts are all about sensuality and feeling in tune with your ride and the road.
Are they? That seems more like the values of a coupe, IMO.

My impression of top-down driving has always been more about summer, sunshine and wind in your hair... I also only seem to picture two types of drivers when I picture a convertible
  1. Older guys with hot young girls (midlife crisis car)
  2. Groups of sorority girls giggling while they cruise

I don't mean to alienate or offend the convertible guys around here. I have just never really thought of a convertible, with the reduced stiffness, as being the driver's choice. That said, I've never been into convertibles too much, so I'm probably biased.

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Old 11-20-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. 328xi View Post

My impression of top-down driving has always been more about summer, sunshine and wind in your hair... I also only seem to picture two types of drivers when I picture a convertible

I don't mean to alienate or offend the convertible guys around here. I have just never really thought of a convertible, with the reduced stiffness, as being the driver's choice. That said, I've never been into convertibles too much, so I'm probably biased.
I was never in to the idea of an open top car. Now that I have one, I ALWAYS want one in the stable. First of all, all the sounds from the straight 6 are amplified as well as the sense of speed. It's also nice when the wife LOVES the hobby car and sometimes insists we take it on long trips. Means she does not throw a fit when you say you are doing a $3k project on it for 30hp more lol.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:51 AM
xDriver

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I was never in to the idea of an open top car. Now that I have one, I ALWAYS want one in the stable. First of all, all the sounds from the straight 6 are amplified as well as the sense of speed. It's also nice when the wife LOVES the hobby car and sometimes insists we take it on long trips. Means she does not throw a fit when you say you are doing a $3k project on it for 30hp more lol.
Excellent point!

My wife hates wind to the extent that she doesn't even like me having the windows down, so I don't think she'd be too excited about it.

At least she likes riding in my car more than her SUV, so we get to take the BMW when we take trips

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Old 11-20-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Excellent point!

My wife hates wind to the extent that she doesn't even like me having the windows down, so I don't think she'd be too excited about it.

At least she likes riding in my car more than her SUV, so we get to take the BMW when we take trips
We use the car deep into October, heated seats on, heat on, windows up. It's used 100% for pleasure, doesn't need to be practical. There is something nice about that. The OEM wind deflector does help quite a bit. We can have conversation at 80mph no prob and her hair stays reasonably put.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM

Thats the thing about a Vert, you either love them and never want a fixed roof again, or you just don't see the point. You do loose a little at the edge of performance with a Cabrio. For me the trade is worth it. The experience of driving with the top down feels more immediate or more viseral. It's somthing that is hard to describe, you either love the experience or you likely never will understand it. N4S
Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:

You need to drive a vert......

I feel quite ambivalent about verts in general.

I appreciate the pure sensuality of top down driving. The overwhelming sense of connectivity between - man, machine, and road is intoxicating - the sound of the exhaust as you rip through the gears, or artfully blip and downshift is worth the price of admission. There is an sense of immediacy in a convertible that you never experience in a coupe. You drive a vert with a heightened sense of awareness. The raison d'etre of a vert is not speed. BTW given a bright sunny day - with a temp of 40 degrees or above - the top of my e93 335i 6MT was down - what's a little cold vs. the hot sensuality of top down driving.....

Verts seduce. Seduction is a very slippery slope - it's all too easy to get caught up in the moment and find yourself going way too far too fast - same in a vert. The thought of flipping a vert - seriously gives me pause. The idea that I may end up a quadriplegic is a heavy price to pay for my somewhat unbridled exuberance at times. In general, very survivable accidents in a modern sedan are problematic in a vert.

Last edited by Capobranco; 11-20-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:35 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:

Sounds like you've never spent adequate time in a good convertible. First of all, modern convertibles are plenty stiff, my old 05 Z4 was stiffer than an E46 coupe or wagon.

Some of the best driving cars ever have been roadsters (verts); they're stiff enough, light and feature a low center of gravity - think XKE's, Austin Healy, MG's, Triumphs, Lotus Elan, etc.

There's nothing quite like it - you have to own a good one to really appreciate the vibe. My ZHP vert is just about perfect - it's light enough at 3600lbs, just the right size and with its 6 speed manual, makes any warm (or warm-ish) drive, top down, day or night, a real pleasure - urban or country.

The exhaust note, the visibility, the connection with your environment ... all that plus a really low center of gravity makes a good vert unique and pleasurable.

You need to leave all that mid life stuff at the shrink's office; you have to enjoy cars like mine for what they are - great drivers' cars connected to their environment.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 11-28-2013, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
X Drive isn't an option with 4 Series Convertibles?
Old 11-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Driving Topless

Mein Auto: 428i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
X Drive isn't an option with 4 Series Convertibles?
From other posters it will be offered on the 428i vert next year
Old 11-28-2013, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
From other posters it will be offered on the 428i vert next year
Excellent, thanks!
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.