Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Is sunshade for gt same as sedan?

I was wondering how the fit is for sunshades on the F07 vs F10. I am looking at the roll up type that seem tightly fit. Anyone know if the gt is different than the sedan?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Answering my own question….. I don't know about the F10 sedan sunshades but I can verify that the Covercraft sunshade for the 2012 GT fits the 2014 just fine. They are made in the USA and are 20% off at CariD:
http://www.carid.com/2012-bmw-5-seri...-10085462.html

I love the precise fit and quality build. There's an optional bag to protect it when I want to store it in the trunk. I've had those collapsible designs for 20 years and wish I'd gone to this design years ago. Those others never fit and leave a but gap for air to get over heated.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
I have noticed that the accessories pages at bmw.com have more items than those at bmw.ca. That said, and referring to Ernest's interest in a sun shade, I noticed one we can get in Canada is not listed
on bmw.com (unless I missed it). If you use this link:

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/acces...s/content.html

and on the pull down menus from left to right select 5 Series GranTurismo, Exterior, Vehicle Protection you will see a 'Cover for windscreen for windscreen and side windows'. It:
- is light,
- is made of polyester and
- comes in a small bag of the same material. It
- has elasticized holes that fit around the mirrors,
-has a web strap with a plastic cylinder at the end to keep it on the GT on the driver's side if someone tried to steal it
- is held in place with the wipers at the lower front edge
- has a cardboard piece (about 4 by 8 inches sewn inside teach side window panel for some rigidity
- has a black suction cup near the rear of each side panel to keep them in place on each side window.

I asked for this to be thrown in when I bought my GT and, because I live in the Great White North and long ago lost the single-garage battle to SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) and her 335 xi, I use it when snow, frost or freezing rain is forecast. It makes getting away in that kind of weather much easier and is easier to handle than a complete outdoor car cover. I also use it to shield the interior from the sun if my GT is parked on those hot days when the sun will be beating down on the dash. I bought one for SWMBO's vehicle and paid about $70 CDN + 13% tax for it.

If any US-based GT'ers would like to have on , I would be happy to purchase it and ship it to them. I am not sure if I can get any discount but they are not that expensive. It may need to be ordered from Germany (like mine was) so it might take awhile to arrive after I re-ship it. As I have a US Dollar account I would accept payment by cheque in US dollars at the official exchange rate (xe.com) which is now at a 5% advantage for the USD.

If anyone is interested, just PM me. I can get an exact cost next time I am in to the dealer (I have a 4 Dec appointment for my seasonal winter tire changeover - earliest one I could get).
Old 11-23-2013, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
FWIW, I purchased one of those when I was in Germany for my vehicle delivery. They did not carry it in the Welt store, I had to go to a dealer to get one. At the time, there were only a few in stock in the whole country. That was quite awhile ago...I also found that the elastic and trim that goes over the mirrors can leave little scratches in the paint on the mirrors if you are not VERY careful putting it on and taking it off. Can usually park in the garage, but it can be handy when you can't or are out when there's snow predicted or on a trip.