Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 AM
fitpays fitpays is offline
Registered User
Location: Southern NJ
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: Past: 328is Future: M6?
Considering M6. SMG Questions....

Hey guys, I did a search for Manual vs SMG and came up short on here. I am on several other forums for other hobbies and I know how this works. Please do not blast me for not doing a search.

I am considering an M6, but have l have VERY limited knowledge of these cars. I test drove an SL55 AMG two weeks ago, and I test drove an M6 last night. I loved the car except the lag between shifts with the SMG. Just before returning the car to the dealer, I redlined it and shifted it into second. It went in right away with no lag. Any other way, had a very pronounced lag/pause before engaging to the next gear. Babying it does it, and even driving half or 3/4 throttle does it. Keeping my foot on the gas constant, still results in a drop in RPM's before an upshift, regardless of being in "D", or using it in the sport/manual mode with the paddles. The dealer told me this is totally normal and the way it is designed. I watched some you tube videos and it seems that is consistent with the way the ones on there shift as well.

So my question is this -Is this something I will learn to love, or is it something that is going to annoy me to a point that I end up selling the car? Also, is there a programmer or anything that will cut down on this? I had the transmission adjustment (rocker button below the shifter with 6 levels of adjustment) turned all the way up to 6, AND had the POWER button turned on.

I just found that lag between shifts really strange and do not know if it is going to be a deal breaker. I found a coupe with 42k for $38,000 and I like everything about it other than that shifting deal. I considered a 6 speed manual, but I am likely to beat the balls off it if I get a stick. More importantly, they are near impossible to find in a reasonable distance in a coupe. There is one available in a convertible, but I really like the coupe better.

Thank you guys for any help. I know I am a newb on here, but I owned a 5 spd 3281s brand new in 97, and I am no stranger to high end cars of other brands.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Keepittrill's Avatar
Keepittrill Keepittrill is offline
My avatar is a selfie LOL
Location: Phoenix
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,178
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Considering M6. SMG Questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitpays View Post
Hey guys, I did a search for Manual vs SMG and came up short on here. I am on several other forums for other hobbies and I know how this works. Please do not blast me for not doing a search.

I am considering an M6, but have l have VERY limited knowledge of these cars. I test drove an SL55 AMG two weeks ago, and I test drove an M6 last night. I loved the car except the lag between shifts with the SMG. Just before returning the car to the dealer, I redlined it and shifted it into second. It went in right away with no lag. Any other way, had a very pronounced lag/pause before engaging to the next gear. Babying it does it, and even driving half or 3/4 throttle does it. Keeping my foot on the gas constant, still results in a drop in RPM's before an upshift, regardless of being in "D", or using it in the sport/manual mode with the paddles. The dealer told me this is totally normal and the way it is designed. I watched some you tube videos and it seems that is consistent with the way the ones on there shift as well.

So my question is this -Is this something I will learn to love, or is it something that is going to annoy me to a point that I end up selling the car? Also, is there a programmer or anything that will cut down on this? I had the transmission adjustment (rocker button below the shifter with 6 levels of adjustment) turned all the way up to 6, AND had the POWER button turned on.

I just found that lag between shifts really strange and do not know if it is going to be a deal breaker. I found a coupe with 42k for $38,000 and I like everything about it other than that shifting deal. I considered a 6 speed manual, but I am likely to beat the balls off it if I get a stick. More importantly, they are near impossible to find in a reasonable distance in a coupe. There is one available in a convertible, but I really like the coupe better.

Thank you guys for any help. I know I am a newb on here, but I owned a 5 spd 3281s brand new in 97, and I am no stranger to high end cars of other brands.
The SMG is a ****ty transmission. That's really the only way to put it. And when it goes, (which it will, many times under 100K miles) it is EXPENSIVE to replace.

Remember, you're still buying a car that was $120K at one point, so the maintenance will be the same, if not even worse.

If you're going to by an E63 M6, get a manual. DO NOT buy an SMG.

And remember, it's always easier/cheaper to replace a clutch than a whole tranny.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2010 E89 Z4- gone and forgotten (;
2011 M3 DCT

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-29-2013, 10:57 PM
mybabystoy mybabystoy is offline
Registered User
Location: md
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: 650
Re: Considering M6. SMG Questions....

I have an '07 M6 110k with a rebuilt trani @ 107k. I hated the smg @ first but I love this car so much I have actually learned to drive it well. In coping with the smg I had to remember what my dad (an old car guy) used to say, "It all depends on how you look at it". So every time I think about the smg I tell myself that the car shifts slow because it is so powerful that it wants to make sure you are certain that you are ready to shift. If it were to shift any faster then you might rear end someone. If you want quicker shifts then step on the gas. Then the car will know that you are sure. I see it as more of an advantage than not because you can control shifts with the throttle. By giving you the lag between shifts and the power to control it, you actually end up with more range, if that make any sense. The smg is great because no matter how much you dislike, it is still faster than a clutch. One thing, you have to keep the rpm' s high and the trani will reward you with faster shifts. That sealed the deal for me because when I get run up on by a C7 Vette, even though statistics say he can do 0-60 in the low 4's, he' d better be good or the time he will burn from having his foot on the clutch will be remembered long after the brake dust settles. This to me is worth the smg's weight in metal. Plus the interior looks way more sophisticated than a stick.

Sent from my HTCONE using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 AM
bigscore's Avatar
bigscore bigscore is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 549
Mein Auto: 05 645ci
I'm soooooo confused!

What to do??

I WANT an E60 M5 SMG!

I dream of paddle shifting on the open road listening to that V10 scream

BUT

The SMG "issues" scare the hell out of me. I really dont want to buy the car and have all of these high cost failures hanging over me head.

My other solution was to pick up an E60 535i and mod it up to the 400hp region but those are prone to HPFP and injector issues.

I've had enough with my N62 issues

What ever i do im gonna have to pick out a reliable warranty company for at least a little piece of mind

REALLY WANT THAT M5 though....
__________________
No car is quite like a BMW....

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Keepittrill's Avatar
Keepittrill Keepittrill is offline
My avatar is a selfie LOL
Location: Phoenix
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,178
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscore View Post
I'm soooooo confused!

What to do??

I WANT an E60 M5 SMG!

I dream of paddle shifting on the open road listening to that V10 scream

BUT

The SMG "issues" scare the hell out of me. I really dont want to buy the car and have all of these high cost failures hanging over me head.

My other solution was to pick up an E60 535i and mod it up to the 400hp region but those are prone to HPFP and injector issues.

I've had enough with my N62 issues

What ever i do im gonna have to pick out a reliable warranty company for at least a little piece of mind

REALLY WANT THAT M5 though....
No amount of modding can replace that beautiful S85...


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2010 E89 Z4- gone and forgotten (;
2011 M3 DCT

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 PM
phx757fo phx757fo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mein Auto:
Ok just bought a 2008 M6 with a manual. I wanted the SMG. I drove it. Seemed ok. I went to a BMW mechanic and he scared me out of the SMG. Unless you know that it was replaced or you have $6,000-$7,000 to replace it, I would stay away from it. He said that BMW knows the problem and is not sure if it is a time related issue or mileage. That is why they changed to the new double clutch. Much better. I love the car


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Keepittrill's Avatar
Keepittrill Keepittrill is offline
My avatar is a selfie LOL
Location: Phoenix
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,178
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx757fo View Post
Ok just bought a 2008 M6 with a manual. I wanted the SMG. I drove it. Seemed ok. I went to a BMW mechanic and he scared me out of the SMG. Unless you know that it was replaced or you have $6,000-$7,000 to replace it, I would stay away from it. He said that BMW knows the problem and is not sure if it is a time related issue or mileage. That is why they changed to the new double clutch. Much better. I love the car


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Plus the Mechanic was wrong. It's closer to 11-12K to replace the whole system. Now post pics of your beautiful new monster!
__________________
2010 E89 Z4- gone and forgotten (;
2011 M3 DCT

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 AM
phx757fo phx757fo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mein Auto:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1391799267.298796.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	421456


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 AM
phx757fo phx757fo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mein Auto:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1391799310.475696.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	421457


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 PM
leftyneal leftyneal is offline
Lefty
Location: Orlando
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2010 M6
Just went through the same thing . . .

I just recently traded in my 2008 BMW xi (manual transmission) and got a 2010 M6 with SMG.

I had been toying with the idea of an M6 for a while and really did want another manual. However, a great deal fell in my lap on the SMG.

So far, I've been happy with the SMG - although it isn't the same "feel" as the manual transmission. Also, I was concerned about maintenance and the cost of any transmission repair expenses.

So . . . when I bought mine, I spoke with the sales person and was able to purchase a 5 year/65k (from current mileage) warranty with the car. If you are concerned with potential costs of SMG repair (or other repair costs), this would be highly worth considering.

For the next 5 years, I only have a $500 deductible to handle if anything goes wrong with my M6. It made the decision to buy much easier.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Joey408w Joey408w is offline
Registered User
Location: SoFla
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: Lightning
SMG issues

I am currently helping my son-in-law with his 2008 M6 convertible. With 36,000 miles, the clutch assembly along with the release bearing and flywheel are being replaced. The dealer wanted $3,500 just for the clutch replacement; I'm not surprised, as they get nearly $400 for an oil change.

We are having a small BMW tuner shop do the work, and they discovered that the flywheel too was fried. Dealer lists the flywheel price alone at nearly $2,000, but we found the parts for around $1,500- both the clutch assembly and flywheel. OEM parts, just not in the BMW box.

The issue is that aside from being out of factory warranty (over 5 years), the extended warranty doesn't cover anything clutch related.

He bought the car used, and I'm interested to see how much better it drives after the repair, as we've probably never experienced it with the SMG working optimally.

I guess that even though the clutch failure in this case may have begun with a failure of the release bearing, the warranty company gets out of paying because it's an item that is designed to wear out. They would have paid for an auto trans repair, no doubt.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-02-2014, 04:23 PM
jgouley jgouley is offline
Registered User
Location: United States
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: 535d
SMG Issues

No kidding, I was looking last night at the issues with the SMG and low and behold my
transmission went this afternoon! I could hear the clunking and smell of fluid. Does anyone think that my tranny is toast or repairable?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Squiddie Squiddie is online now
BMW Snow Plow User
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 789
Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyneal View Post
So . . . when I bought mine, I spoke with the sales person and was able to purchase a 5 year/65k (from current mileage) warranty with the car. If you are concerned with potential costs of SMG repair (or other repair costs), this would be highly worth considering.
Woah. How much did that cost? More or less than your house?

Do they cover the clutch? If not do they cover the whole automatic?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-02-2014, 05:51 PM
varanj_16 varanj_16 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 399
Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
Hello guys, so after getting a huge dollar disappointment at Porsche Cayman S 2014 model..freaking $29,000 for 2 years to lease it, i am going ahead with my decision to rather get an M6 2010. I am in conversations with a dealer offering 19k miles 2010 stick shift m6 for $52,000. I have a 2007 328i with 75k miles and going to trade it-in - trying to squish in 14k for it. What are my potential watch-outs that i should look for? I suffered a hell lot of maintenance costs on this 2007 328i when i bought it used in 2010 (had to get replacement of steering wheel column, car access systemL whooping $2500, another $500 for rotor/rear break pads, $400 for window fix etc..so far i have totaled bmw service center repairs of $8k), anyways....i just want to be a little realistic about***********:

1. MPG of 2010 V10 M6?
2. Oil Change every 15k charges?
3. Any other on-going maintenance costs that i need to take care of (brakes?rotors? How bad are they for an m6)?

Thanks all !
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-02-2014, 11:45 PM
Keepittrill's Avatar
Keepittrill Keepittrill is offline
My avatar is a selfie LOL
Location: Phoenix
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,178
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
[Q UOTE=varanj_16;8316061]Hello guys, so after getting a huge dollar disappointment at Porsche Cayman S 2014 model..freaking $29,000 for 2 years to lease it, i am going ahead with my decision to rather get an M6 2010. I am in conversations with a dealer offering 19k miles 2010 stick shift m6 for $52,000. I have a 2007 328i with 75k miles and going to trade it-in - trying to squish in 14k for it. What are my potential watch-outs that i should look for? I suffered a hell lot of maintenance costs on this 2007 328i when i bought it used in 2010 (had to get replacement of steering wheel column, car access systemL whooping $2500, another $500 for rotor/rear break pads, $400 for window fix etc..so far i have totaled bmw service center repairs of $8k), anyways....i just want to be a little realistic about***********:

1. MPG of 2010 V10 M6?
2. Oil Change every 15k charges?
3. Any other on-going maintenance costs that i need to take care of (brakes?rotors? How bad are they for an m6)?

Thanks all ![/QUOTE]


MPG?

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

you'll get like 8-10.



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2010 E89 Z4- gone and forgotten (;
2011 M3 DCT

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-03-2014, 08:29 AM
Squiddie Squiddie is online now
BMW Snow Plow User
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 789
Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
If you get upset about $500 of basic brake maintenance not involving any actual repairs the V10 M5/6ers might be a bad choice.

If you got bored of the 325 and want something more exciting a 550i might be the better choice. If you are selling the 325 because of the repair cost history you need to look at who decides on what gets done.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 AM
leftyneal leftyneal is offline
Lefty
Location: Orlando
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2010 M6
Warranty I purchased with my 2010 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
Woah. How much did that cost? More or less than your house?

Do they cover the clutch? If not do they cover the whole automatic?
I believe my warranty cost about $3,600 when purchased with the car (with a $500 deductible). The dealer did the research for this and got this rate. It is a "platinum" warranty and covers all components (even electronics). They initially quoted me this cost at $5,300 or so but that was with a $100 deductible. Raising the deductible to $500 helped a lot.

FYI, I also researched coverage on my own but found it to be way more expensive purchasing it separately.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-18-2014, 06:22 AM
aavaaz aavaaz is offline
Registered User
Location: midwest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: M6/Audi RS4/Diavel Carbon
This SMG thing is all BS..to Me. I have a 2009 M6 SMG. I have put 28000 miles on it and NO PROBLEMS. One must know how to drive a SMG. READ THE MANUAL. Which most do not. Each to their own. All the guys chiming on how terrible the SMG is..Have you ever owned and driven a SMG M6 for 5 years? Or do you just live vicariously.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-22-2014, 05:23 PM
phx757fo phx757fo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mein Auto:
If your lucky enough to NOT have had problems yet with your SMG transmission then good for you. But your 5 years experience with your car is nothing compared to the 20+years that my certified BMW trained mechanic has in repairing the M6 & M5's with the SMG transmission. The SMG pump will go out and it costs a lot. $7000+ to replace the pump and clutch.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 PM
aavaaz aavaaz is offline
Registered User
Location: midwest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: M6/Audi RS4/Diavel Carbon
That is just normal wear and tear. SMG is nothing but manual transmission. The only diff is that car operates the clutch for the driver. But I would not have it any other way (or the Double clutch). This car was designed around a SMGIII transmission. The manual T was an after thought, and is prone to overheating under hard driving. Having owned m3,mroadster, Audi rs4 all with manual shifts I can say that none can beat the smoothness and feel of a SMG, dual clutch is even better. Having said that, one must know how to operate it and there is a learning curve...but once you get the hang of it,,,,,,it is peach.

Manual is outdated.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms