Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
"tire connected to it"?

I know you meant wire, Karl. May want to edit that or someone might get seriously confused!
Ah, woops! I was just typing too fast - I can't even blame auto-correct, since I'm on a regular computer.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 07-19-2013, 02:21 PM
I bleed Orange.

Mein Auto: 1996 316i

That's what my ignition and key look like. Sorry for the blurry pic, phone pic.

John Moses Browning isn't God, but when God needs a firearm, he's the go-to guy.
ROCKY TOP, you'll always be...home sweet home to me....Good ol' Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:47 AM
I bleed Orange.

Back from the junkyard. Got both the ignition tumbler and the EWS doomyflotchy from the only E36 that had the key with it. Two questions now.

1:How hard is it to take the tumbler apart and put my original pins in it so that it's the original key??

2: Barring that, if I were to take the EWS that's on my car off and replace it with the "New" EWS, would that cause a problem??

Thanks again, y'all. Your assistance has been invaluable.

John Moses Browning isn't God, but when God needs a firearm, he's the go-to guy.
ROCKY TOP, you'll always be...home sweet home to me....Good ol' Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 02:38 AM
I bleed Orange.

ZeGerman/hornhospital/SCJon.....guys, I could really use your advice on this before I plug it up.....

Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 AM
I bleed Orange.

Vicky starts again!!! Can I get a shout-out for redneck ingenuity?!?!?!? I even gained a DIY security system, lol.

Here's what happened. Took the original EWS system out, plugged the new one up. Got the tumbler into the column, snapped the new EWS onto it. Reconnected the battery, put the key in the ignition......tried to turn it and NOTHING. Dash lights came on, but nothing at all when I turned it to run. MAJOR "oh ****" moment. Made sure the battery post was good and tight, tried again, nothing. Thought to myself "I wonder what this would do", so I plugged the old EWS back in and stuck the old key through the loop. Tried the ignition again, and it fired right up. It may not be perfect, but at least I can start and drive it. Now to figure out how to swap the chip from my old key to the new one so that I can use the "old" EWS with the new key. I'll still have two keys, but I won't have the old EWS zip-tied to the turn signal stalk, LOL.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 98 318 Sedan
This thread answered my question. I found a great video

I have not found my part, key and tumbler for a 98 318i. Question is, do I still need to use the old key to work with my EWS? The new keys don't look the same for swapping the chip.
OR does the new key with the tumbler plug-n-play?