Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d 2012
Need some help on roof rack system,

I have a Thule system that I hooked to the elevated black rail system of a 2012 X5, does anyone make an after market part that will be an ancor into the 550i GT slots that I could hook this system into, or do I have to go with a new system?
Ads by Google
Old 12-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
It looks like fitkit BMW 5-Series GT, 4-dr Sedan, 09 Kit 3039 is what you need (depends on which bars you have. If you need to buy bars as well, you might want to consider getting the OEM version.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:55 PM

[I] HAVE THE CROSS bars from the X5 plus the clamps that hook on to the elevated and open black roof rails, but need guidance on the anchors that hook into the GT roof flaps.
Pat
Old 12-05-2013, 07:40 PM

The OEM rails have a pair of feet that fit into the bottom of the well. The OEM kit comes with a plastic liner for that well so those metal feet do not damage the paint. THen, there is a bolt that screws into the captive nut in the well to anchor the pedestal assembly in place.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:06 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4

You need new feet. We had same issue, Thule makes them. I believe it's about $150-180 for the feet... Called rapid podium foot pack (460r).

I wouldn't try and "engineer" something like that...too much potential damage to your and others cars if something goes wrong.

You can verify using the Thule Fit Guide on their website.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by daders; 12-08-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:56 PM

If you don't' have a bunch of accessories that fit on your existing rails, it may just be cheaper to pick up the OEM rails (includes feet) from an on-line BMW dealer...won't cost much if any more than the Thule foot package. The OEM rails have a captive bolt and an anti-theft head to anchor them in place. It comes with a special torque wrench to tighten them down, and once initially aligned, seems to work well.

WHen I was originally trying to decide, the research I did indicated some people were having issues with the aftermarket fit kits denting the roof. FWIW, the OEM rails only contact the vehicle with the feet inside of the well, there is NO contact from anything else on the rack system that touches the roof - the entire foot assembly except for the feet is slightly raised above the roof, so no weight is transferred there, and no chance of it denting the roof.

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 12-08-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:10 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
If you don't' have a bunch of accessories that fit on your existing rails, it may just be cheaper to pick up the OEM rails (includes feet) from an on-line BMW dealer...won't cost much if any more than the Thule foot package. The OEM rails have a captive bolt and an anti-theft head to anchor them in place. It comes with a special torque wrench to tighten them down, and once initially aligned, seems to work well.

WHen I was originally trying to decide, the research I did indicated some people were having issues with the aftermarket fit kits denting the roof. FWIW, the OEM rails only contact the vehicle with the feet inside of the well, there is NO contact from anything else on the rack system that touches the roof - the entire foot assembly except for the feet is slightly raised above the roof, so no weight is transferred there, and no chance of it denting the roof.
We discussed this in August and Thule fits same way as BMW system. No need to worry about any denting issues. Just make sure you purchase correct foot pack for Thule as it depends upon the type of cross bars you have. The foot pack I referenced above was for the AeroBlade.

Jad is right about the price of the BMW system though: http://www.jmkbmwaccessories.com/PRO...SUPPORT-SYSTEM

I'm actually quite surprised how inexpensive that is...for us, however, the wife wanted the AeroBlade rather than the rectangular cross bar in addition to having and trusting the Thule bike carrier system from experience. As it turns out the AeroBlade is much quieter with respect to wind noise than the rectangular bar and the bike carrier is much more stable. Anyway, that's really not pertinent to OP's question...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-09-2013, 06:47 PM

Has anyone had any experience with the Yakima foot package?
Old 12-09-2013, 06:58 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molampp View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the Yakima foot package?
That would be no for me.