Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d 2012
2013 550i GT vs. 2014 X5 35d

I need a little help. Looking at trading a 2 year old 35d for either a loaded low miles exec. 550i GT 2013 for the low 50's or order a new 35d for the low 60's? Love my x5, want the 550i but am concerned with the room in the trunk. Was told you can't carry 4 sets of golf clubs in the GT, but it is a lot of car for the money!!
Thanks in Advance
Pat
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
There will be a fairly significant fuel hit between the 550i and the 35d. The torque is about the same, but the diesel runs out of grunt at the upper end, but in the USA, you can't really use that anyway.

From a passenger viewpoint, the GT is way larger than the x5. I don't know about the golf clubs, never tried. The x5 does sit taller, and you have more height in the hatch area which will allow you to carry bulkier items. On the GT, when the seats are folded, they do not go quite flat, so that can limit things a bit, too, along with the sloping hatch.

They are very different vehicles.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d 2012
After numerous Suburbans, Tahoes, Expedition EL's, I have loved the X5 torque and sport ride. Gas is not an issue, the company
pays 100%. I am leaning GT since I do entertain clients, and the back seat in the X5 won't compare to the GT.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Probably the best description of the 5 GT I've come across is from Van Hooydunk at BMW when the Concept was revealed in Geneva. I totally forgot about it until I took delivery of my own. He described their design criteria as wanting a car with the "interior of a 7 series but in the footprint of a 5 series.". It might be tight for 4 sets of clubs but not 4 sets of cheeks. YMMV.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
If you entertain clients then that would certainly favor the GT which clearly has rear seat comfort. No one will complain sitting 'in the back'.

Not being a golfer. I too cannot vouch for 4 sets of clubs without lowering the rear seat backs, though there might be, widthwise, if the removable rear shelf were removed.

Being a GT owner, I have to lean toward the GT. Good luck in choosing your next Beemer.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:28 PM

The GT is built on the normal wheelbase 7-series chassis...it is considerably bigger inside than any BMW less than the 7-series.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT XDrive
Best I've ever heard to described is that it's a "7 series crossover with 5 series branding..." 4 sets of clubs should fit just fine in the bank if places in diagonally... Been there done that. Get the GT, ditch the lesser SUV(s)... If you look in my gallery, I've got a side by side with my matte white 550i GT and an X6... Close cousins I say, with my ride being the more comely of the two!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:18 AM

If you haven't seen it, the video below lays out the case for the GT and includes a little section on carrying clients in an SUV vs GT.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535Xi GT, 2010 X5 D
There is a way to open trunk cover and not the whole hatch????? How do I do that?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
You may be able to get 3 walking bags in the back at very best because of the shape. There is no way you will get 2 staff (cart) bags with drivers in the bag. The problem is as you look toward the front the rear width decreases. Obviously if you put one of the seats down there'll be no problems but there is no way to get a foursome and their bags in the vehicle (especially cart bags). That being said the GT blows away the X5 in the luxury department.

This is assuming no criss-crossing, this has been my biggest pet peeve ever since the E39. My E34 could take a foursome with 2 staff bags and 2 walking bags without any second thoughts or criss-crossing of bags...no 5 series has been able to do the same since they have crammed all this "electronics and stuff" where we used to have storage capacity.
And with criss-crossing there will not be enough height. Frankly I would find it embarrassing to have a $70k+ vehicle touted as a versatile tourer highlighting golf and you have to finagle the bags in the back (if I found myself in that situation). Definitely not impressive to corporate clients. Perhaps I'm being too critical about this one issue....but the GT certainly puts 4 passenger comfort first and 4 person cargo capacity last.

mish mish, there is a right and left release "button" (for lack of a better word). The left is for the small hatch, the right is...well you already know what that one does, lol! Also, the button by your left leg opens the small trunk.

Last edited by daders; 11-03-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Storage capacity addendum
Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM

OMG, I figured it out, it's the right button! How cool is that, if only dealer's salesmen showed it to us, maybe I did not have that scratch from lifting hatch against the damn garage door.
I will play this video to my wife and some of the haters in our family
Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
You may be able to get 3 walking bags in the back at very best because of the shape. There is no way you will get 2 staff (cart) bags with drivers in the bag. The problem is as you look toward the front the rear width decreases. Obviously if you put one of the seats down there'll be no problems but there is no way to get a foursome and their bags in the vehicle (especially cart bags). That being said the GT blows away the X5 in the luxury department.

mish mish, there is a right and left release "button" (for lack of a better word). The left is for the small hatch, the right is...well you already know what that one does, lol!
Thanks, I did run downstairs and figured it out. How impulsive are we, came to see new X5, my wife hated it and loved GT, without knowing anything about it. All the help I got from my friend was: "these are awesome, built on 7 platform, haggle hard, at least $5K off MSRP, they cannot sell one to save their life...".
Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 PM

While it may seem trite, there's a huge amount of info in the owner's manual describing all sorts of little things you may not notice without being shown or told. One of the first things I do when I buy a new car is at least flip through the manual and read the sections that seem interesting...there's a lot of those in the GT!

Saving your profile to a memory stick so if you get a compatible loaner, you can upload it to that one, and lots more.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:52 PM

RTFM, got it!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:06 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish_Mish View Post
OMG, I figured it out, it's the right button! How cool is that, if only dealer's salesmen showed it to us, maybe I did not have that scratch from lifting hatch against the damn garage door.
I will play this video to my wife and some of the haters in our family
As crud, this left/right thing is why I always get lost, lol!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d
I have a tough time getting my clubs in due to the fact that the back of the rear seats is not the back of hatch, therefore they do not slide forward enough. I squeeze them in, but the sensor usually stops the hatch from closing and I do it manually. 4 sets, with the seats folded down no problem ....
Old 11-11-2013, 12:11 PM

You can release the rear divider without dropping the seats, and it will give you a bit more room. No idea if that would make much of a difference, but it might. Also, the horizontal deck easily comes off, and if you don't have the well full, it will fit underneath the floor - that may give you a little more room, but be careful since you could then slam the glass into something sticking up.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d
Thanks - yes have that done too. If you go back and find some original GT video's the first versions show it with the seats and back panels being attached..
Old 11-11-2013, 01:14 PM
There is no spoon

But that's exactly my point above about the contracting width of trunks after the E34. I don't have to slide the clubs in sideways at an angle, they go in perpendicular. In the E39 and newer generations you have to put them in at an angle and can only fit 3 sets after some mandibular (is that even a word?!) unpleasantries, additionally you end up laying the bags across each other possibly placing your clubs at risk with weight being brought on a small portion of the bag vs distributed along the full length. Actually, it would be easier and more pleasant to fit the four golf bags in the rear seat and put two of your passengers in the trunk...until you let them out of course ;-)

But that's me on my soapbox. At least in the GT one set of clubs fits perpendicular next to the tailgate. I recently read they increased the rear cargo capacity to 17.x (don't recall exact #), or almost 2 cubic feet so perhaps there is better opportunity to get 4 bags in the LCI? Either way I find the inability to get a foursome and their clubs in anything but a SUV (possibly a 7 series ) highly disappointing, but not new for BMW 5 series.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:35 AM

I just posted a hi res photo of the 2014 GT trunků FYI

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...22#post7952122
Old 12-10-2013, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: Infiniti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish_Mish View Post
I did not have that scratch from lifting hatch against the damn garage door.
I got my gt two days ago and I did the same thing. Any thoughts on repairing the scratch?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:46 AM

I used very fine rubbing compound and it went away. For other scratch that my wife produced we used black touch up paint from our old Jaguar.