Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 325i Cab
Correct E30 Door Moulding & Clips?

I need a new right door moulding for my '90 E30 convertible and having some trouble determining the correct moulding and mounting clips. Just to clarify, it's not the bottom rocker moulding, it's the one the lower middle of the door.

My car has the black moulding with the chrome stripe, not completely black. I believe it's the Chrome part, # 51131876132? Bav Auto only lists an all black part, # 51131953930 for the E30 Cab and says the 132 part has not been verified as a correct fit. I think 132 is the correct part, just want to confirm.

Also, the catalogs show two different moulding clips, lower moulding Part # 51131876128 and Rocker/Lower Moulding Part # 51131829904. Which one do I need and how many? Or do a I need some quantity of both?

Thanks!!
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: E30
Have you tried realoem.com? You should be able to determine the correct part by entering the last seven of your VIN and checking the resulting diagrams.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Bavarian Autosport

Mein Auto: 1989 325is
realoem will show both. That's what the actual BMW ETK shows as well. However I recall all the pre-91 convertibles having the early style moldings. So I went ahead and changed all the listings on the site. The 132 will certainly work fine. The clips should be part number 51 13 1 829 904 and it has one of the plastic nuts at the back which is part number 41 33 5 480 120. Actually the door and front fender moldings are interchangeable. But I know on coupes the later rear quarter moldings require some trimming to fit on early cars. I did that retrofit on an 85 I had 15 years ago. But according to BMW it looks like the later all black moldings will work on early cars as a straight swap. But like the OP says I believe all of them had the chrome strip/early moldings until the end of 1990 when they went to plastic bumpers and changed the tail lights.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 325i Cab
Thanks for the info Ken. I'll have to get an order in for one of these and the clips.

How is this strip removed and replaced? Do I remove the nut and slide the moulding back off the clips and then do the reverse to replace (after replacing the broken clips)? Or do I need a moulding tool to pop the strip off the clips?
Old 12-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Bavarian Autosport

Mein Auto: 1989 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by magendim View Post
Thanks for the info Ken. I'll have to get an order in for one of these and the clips.

How is this strip removed and replaced? Do I remove the nut and slide the moulding back off the clips and then do the reverse to replace (after replacing the broken clips)? Or do I need a moulding tool to pop the strip off the clips?
It won't slide off the clips. When I have removed these in the past I just took the nut off and pulled the molding off starting at the back. But I never intended on re-installing them. The clips have a center pin that pushes in to lock the clip into the sheet metal. So taking the old ones off can be a little tricky. You might be able to pull the old clips out with pliers but I pushed them all the way through on mine and took off the door panel to get the pins out. Re-installing the clips I put them in and tapped the centers into place with a small rubber mallet. Then you can snap the molding on and put the nut back on.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter