Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-10-2013, 12:30 AM

Mein Auto: Honda Civic
Red face Advise on buying X3 or RDX or Q5

Hi there,

I drive a 2012 Infiniti M37, which I bought brand new. Though no issues with the car, due to change in preference I'm contemplating to trade it in for a 2012 BMW X3 or Audi Q5 or 2013 Acura RDX.

Lexus RX 350 are too slow, Infiniti FX35 has horrible mileage n doesn't look that great.

Out of the 3, Q5 is very comfortable but not fun to drive (the drive is very important for me). I'm leaning to get an X3, though the only concern being high maintenance. From the forums, X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) and the current X3 F25 (2011 - current) have had a lot of issues (drivetrain malfuction, steering malfunction...)

How would you rate the X3 v/s RDX v/s Q5 in terms of drive, maintenance and other expenses. Generally speaking, how much money an X3 would need annually in terms of maintenance after the CPO warranty expires?

Thanks!!
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2013, 03:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
Advise on buying X3 or RDX or Q5

I will prob confuse even myself but here is what does it for me and I'm a long time Honda owner. More than 20 new in my immediate family over 20 years.

If the x3 is derived from a 3 series and the RDX is from a civic, then I maintain that the RDX is WAY overpriced based on the difference of the 2 base vehicles they came from. Yup. I confused myself again.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 12-10-2013, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
I owned two Honda products (an Acura and a Prelude VTEC) a number of years ago and have looked at Honda SUVs in the showroom. Based on what I owned and what I perceived looking at more recent products, Honda is not a luxury car company. They certainly make high quality vehicles but there is a noticiable difference (mostly in important details) between Honda products and BMW products. Many of the features and details I want, expect, and have on my X3 are not available on the Honda. I would provide specifics if I remebered them but its been a year since I looked at the Honda SUV and I only am now left with my overall impression. I clearly see Honda as a quality economy car manufacturer and not a maker of luxury vehicle so it depends on what you want as a buyer.

Last edited by RhoXS; 12-10-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by junky88 View Post
Hi there,

I drive a 2012 Infiniti M37, which I bought brand new. Though no issues with the car, due to change in preference I'm contemplating to trade it in for a 2012 BMW X3 or Audi Q5 or 2013 Acura RDX.

Lexus RX 350 are too slow, Infiniti FX35 has horrible mileage n doesn't look that great.

Out of the 3, Q5 is very comfortable but not fun to drive (the drive is very important for me). I'm leaning to get an X3, though the only concern being high maintenance. From the forums, X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) and the current X3 F25 (2011 - current) have had a lot of issues (drivetrain malfuction, steering malfunction...)

How would you rate the X3 v/s RDX v/s Q5 in terms of drive, maintenance and other expenses. Generally speaking, how much money an X3 would need annually in terms of maintenance after the CPO warranty expires?

Thanks!!
If you are trading in a 2 year old car, why worry about long term maintenance? You will probably be buying another car before the factory warranty is up. If not, there is always extended warranty. With that said, we had a Q5 in the pass and test drove the new RDX a few times. The Q5 does not drive as sporty as the X3, the Q5's interior is a bit nicer but the build quality is not as good. Our Q5 had a lot more problem than our X3, it was in the shop quite a bit. The RDX, like others have said, is not in the same class. The quality is not as good as the Q5 and X3, a lot of standard options missing. One that stood out the most was the passenger seat, it lacks height adjustment and lumbar support. The passenger seat is set very low, I felt like I was almost sitting on the floor. Sounds like you want the best of both world, sportiness and reliability, unfortunately, that car doesnt exist as of now.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:26 AM

Also, FWIW, we bought an extended warranty 7/70 for less than $1,300 bucks from Fidelity which I belive writes a lot of Lexus' waraanty programs. We bought the non BMW for 2 reasons:

1. Price was about a 3rd as much
2. Covers gaskets/seals which the BMW warranty does not. Was told that can be a pain and costly should you need them done.

Cheap peace of mind even though I bet we will not go beyond 3 years as she likes a new one every few years. We have had ours now for just about 7 months and 4,500 miles and my wife LOVES this car. She has never said that before with any other car.

Anyway, best of luck in your search!

Old 12-10-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you are trading in a 2 year old car, why worry about long term maintenance? You will probably be buying another car before the factory warranty is up. If not, there is always extended warranty. With that said, we had a Q5 in the pass and test drove the new RDX a few times. The Q5 does not drive as sporty as the X3, the Q5's interior is a bit nicer but the build quality is not as good. Our Q5 had a lot more problem than our X3, it was in the shop quite a bit. The RDX, like others have said, is not in the same class. The quality is not as good as the Q5 and X3, a lot of standard options missing. One that stood out the most was the passenger seat, it lacks height adjustment and lumbar support. The passenger seat is set very low, I felt like I was almost sitting on the floor. Sounds like you want the best of both world, sportiness and reliability, unfortunately, that car doesnt exist as of now.
Good point, but the reason I'm planning to trade in is because I miss having an SUV, the other car we have is a Civic. Also because I got a neat $10,000 discount on the MSRP of the M37 on the M37, I kind of dodged the first year's depreciation and hence I'm looking at just swapping the car.

I agree to your and other people's points - Q5 isn't as sporty, RDX misses a lot of standard features and hence in my opinion doesn't qualify as a luxury brand. For heaven's sake which SUV doesn't have rear air vents!!

I'm leaning towards the X3. Thanks for the advise!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33609 View Post
Also, FWIW, we bought an extended warranty 7/70 for less than $1,300 bucks from Fidelity which I belive writes a lot of Lexus' waraanty programs. We bought the non BMW for 2 reasons:

2. Covers gaskets/seals which the BMW warranty does not. Was told that can be a pain and costly should you need them done.

Cheap peace of mind even though I bet we will not go beyond 3 years as she likes a new one every few years. We have had ours now for just about 7 months and 4,500 miles and my wife LOVES this car. She has never said that before with any other car.

Hi Bob,

The warranty you mentioned - is that for a BMW or a Lexus? Can you please provide some details? What you are suggesting is to take standard warranty that comes with a CPO X3 and then later get 7 years / 70k additional warranty from Fidelity?

Thanks!!

Last edited by junky88; 12-10-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:58 AM

junky88, if you are buying used, I would ask the dealer to skip the CPO and discount a few thousand dollars and buy the extended warranty yourself which takes affect after the original factory warranty.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:03 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi

I have a 2007 X3 with AT. At 153000 miles it has been great on reliability.

I went CPO - covered me to 100k miles.

I recommend an X3!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 12-10-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Hi Bob,

The warranty you mentioned - is that for a BMW or a Lexus? Can you please provide some details? What you are suggesting is to take standard warranty that comes with a CPO X3 and then later get 7 years / 70k additional warranty from Fidelity?

Thanks,
Punit
CPO is great if they cover you till 100k. I opted for fidelity as I bought new and I liked that it covers seals and gaskets and the extended BMW did not. Fidelity writes plans for Lexus or did so they are reputable based on research. I purchased from a guy at a dealership in MA after reading great reviews on the guy. I am in FL.

TDietrich@FD-Warranty.com

Last edited by ponti33609; 12-10-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:09 PM

CPO covers you for 2 years/50,000 after the expiration of the factory warranty.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:28 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
CPO covers you for 2 years/50,000 after the expiration of the factory warranty.
Correct. So combined you have up to 6 years, 100k miles depending on vehicle date placed in service and mileage.

Based on my driving and miles on my X3 when I bought it, it worked out great!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i

It might sound silly but that's one of the main reason I didn't buy an rdx was no rear vents. It felt real cheap with out it. Even my dads 2004 honda pilot had rear vents.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Honda products are appliances, they work well, but no fun is involved.

2007 C260 4Matic - sold
2006 350Z Roadster - sold
To many others to bother with...
Old 12-10-2013, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks!!
Fun to drive factor: X3 wins that easily.

Maintenance: No issues with our 1 year old X3. Audi's maintenance history is similar to BMWs- average.

RDX will be the best maintenance free choice.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33609 View Post

By pointi's help, I got in touch with Troy and he is giving me 5yrs/72k miles for $2994 compared to 4k from BMW platinum (and that too it expires from 6yrs from in-service date or 100k whichever comes first). I don't think Troy mentioned this 7/70k warranty - perhaps this is for new cars with very few miles on odometer.

Yes, I had RDX for 6 months and these very points (no passenger seat
adjustment, no rear vent, no parking sensors, no lighting package, a bit low, navi lockout while driving, no led rear light and DRLs,no pano roof, no reading lights in rear seats and many other small things) made me look for another car. Of course there is big reliability things that can be beat for these cars. I was looking for X5 for few months but eventually stumbled upon looking at X3 on edmunds and realized they had changed the model in 2011 ( i always they changed the model in 2013). Searched only one night and found a landrover dealer had this fully loaded X3. The previous owner stepped up in space, I guess.

I also had looked at Q5 but was not convinced about it as it lacked some nice tech features and rear seats were obnoxiously cramped

Though there are some concerns about the reliability (had to take to dealers for couple of repairs already), it appears to be perfectly balanced for my needs/wants after researching for 6+ months and then ultimately finding this car in couple of days only !!

Good luck finding the right car for you.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: Outback. Shopping for X3.
Gee, this is a BMW bimmer, or beammer site. I'd like to see what people recommend besides X3.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
If you need the driving experience, then X3 with m-sport or the DHP adaptive drive. Nothing beats it. The Q5 would be next of choice but it can`t really rival the X3. It`s also the hardest to deal with in terms of negotation off msrp. The RDX is an excellent vehicle. Its probably much better in carrying people and their stuff in luxury (again the cabin materials aren`t excellent but the value is there that none of the other 2 can match). The RDX is directly related to the CRV platform, down to the AWD system. Maintenance costs are not even a question compared to the RDX. Finally you would be purchasing new rather than CPOed.

BTW before we all recommend this warranty and that warranty and CPO or BMW extended please read or submit the fine print here. The details are ever so important. All the fluff that MFGs put out there hides the true nature of whats covered and not, so be careful.

Good luck

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
If you need the driving experience, then X3 with m-sport or the DHP adaptive drive. Nothing beats it. The Q5 would be next of choice but it can`t really rival the X3. It`s also the hardest to deal with in terms of negotation off msrp. The RDX is an excellent vehicle. Its probably much better in carrying people and their stuff in luxury (again the cabin materials aren`t excellent but the value is there that none of the other 2 can match). The RDX is directly related to the CRV platform, down to the AWD system. Maintenance costs are not even a question compared to the RDX. Finally you would be purchasing new rather than CPOed.

BTW before we all recommend this warranty and that warranty and CPO or BMW extended please read or submit the fine print here. The details are ever so important. All the fluff that MFGs put out there hides the true nature of whats covered and not, so be careful.

Good luck
I intend to agree. I've test driven all three cars besides other more. I tested a bunch of cars on a single day to make comparison easier. Before I test drove RDX, I test drove a CRV AWD. My first impression of getting into the RDX was that this was an upgraded CRV. The impression was so strong that I couldn't help myself and directly said it out. The sales person became unhappy, and he immediately said that they were completely different cars. I then didn't say any words about the similarity between the two before him. I still remember some details: the central dash areas are almost the same except that RDX has clearer fonts and smoother buttons and corners of stuffs. In turning tight circles, RDX is little better than CRX, but not much. You can feel the body shake. I didn't circle in high speed, just around 10mph. Q5 has nice central dash, driving is stable, like many German cars. The worst part of test driving Q5 was that the salesperson didn't give me a chance to drive over 85mph. When I tested X3, it was completely different: agile in sport mode, comfortable seat, super in passing and at high speed. That made me decide to go with X3.

You don't need complicated knowledge to test drive cars. Drive them on high way to test acceleration, braking, high speed performance. Make tight smallest possible circles in both left and right direction in spacious parking lot to test manuverbility. And feel it.

Once you compare cars in your own judgement, then you know which one you like and dislike, which makes the choice much easier. Some times there might be only one choice left for you (this is my case after test drives).

I don't know the maintenance cost, since this will be my first X3. I choose a new once and don't have to worry about it for four years.

Last edited by bitcalc; 12-11-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
I had the same problem when I test drove the RDX, could not justify the price difference between the RDX Tech and CR-V EX-L Navi. The interiors were basically the same down to the navigation system. I was leaning toward getting the Q5, but my wife thought it was too big and wanted the Tiguan instead, go figure. If the SQ5 would have been out at the time, I probably would have pushed for it though.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:33 PM

Tiguan is a nice car too, but once you get an uptrim model, such as bigger wheels etc., the price is not less much than an X3. In addition, Tiguan is not as drivable as X3. I think that Tiguan only has a 3-year warrant and maintenance plan, but I might be wrong.

Last edited by bitcalc; 12-11-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcalc View Post
Tiguan is a nice car too, but once you get an uptrim model, such as bigger wheels etc., the price is not less much than an X3. In addition, Tiguan is not as drivable as X3. I think that Tiguan only has a 3-year warrant and maintenance plan, but I might be wrong.
Yeah, it was actually only about 4k more for a comparably equipped Q5, warranty is a year less then the Q5, but you do get maintenance. Since this is just my wife's DD, she wanted something small enough to park in compact spots at work, works perfectly for that, basically a XL AWD GTI. Plus it's one of the few NA market VWs still built in Germany.

Also have the Macan now to cross shop with the X3 and Q5, until you decide to start piling on the options and double the price.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Yeah, it was actually only about 4k more for a comparably equipped Q5, warranty is a year less then the Q5, but you do get maintenance. Since this is just my wife's DD, she wanted something small enough to park in compact spots at work, works perfectly for that, basically a XL AWD GTI. Plus it's one of the few NA market VWs still built in Germany.

Also have the Macan now to cross shop with the X3 and Q5, until you decide to start piling on the options and double the price.

Speaking of Macan, looks highly superior to 35i and 3.0T and whatever the other one is called. The options are not really needed, but still, 51k is a lot. And then come the maintenance costs ...
Old 12-14-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_again View Post
Speaking of Macan, looks highly superior to 35i and 3.0T and whatever the other one is called. The options are not really needed, but still, 51k is a lot. And then come the maintenance costs ...
Also, demand is thru the roof, they are selling at a premium. You will not find one for $51K.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Macan is in a whole different league Its a porsche so don`t expect any invoice+ deals more like MSRP or + lol. Secondly its gonna be the best to drive hands down, if it was designed by the same folks who made the Cayenne. Reliability ehhh, im sure its no lexus, but its seems a tad bit better than BMW or Audi.

X3 is the most affordable driving small CUV, and thats saying something with a still infant in design EPS unit.

To the person who drove the Sq5. Correct me if im wrong here but is the NADM SQ5 just a Prestige decked out with more features and body trimmings?

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!