Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: Outback. Shopping for X3.
Question questions about ordering an X3

Hi,

I'd like to buy a new 2014 X3, and have talked to several dealers nearby (in the Bay Area). A couple of them have offered me what seems to be a good price, but it is an order car. I'm fine with ordering since I'm not in a hurry to need it right away. But I've nerve done this, so I wish that someone can help answer my questions here about ordering.

My first question is if the price is set when I and the dealer agree on to place an order. I guess that I'll pay when the car is delivered, since I don't have a car when placing the order. My concern is that if the dealer increases the price when the car comes, then I'll be in a bad position, because I've already paid deposit.

My second question is if the deposit refundable if I don't want the car 8 weeks later. A dealer told me that it would take about 8 weeks. It sounds a little long to me. I feel that something within a month would be reasonable.

Thank you very much.
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3 35i
questions about ordering an X3

Once you get it in writing they won't really increase the price on you. Just make sure of the FINAL pricing before you put the deposit down. Meaning check all fees, taxes and DMV fees. Have them put it in writing! 8 weeks delivery since you are on the west coast can be normal. But most people get it sooner

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-11-2013, 06:21 PM

Thank you for the useful information and tips. I think that I'm going to order one.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 35i M Sport
I just ordered one from Robert McCluskey at Peter Pan BMW... bay Area. Once I decided on the options, we agreed on a good price which happened to be better than all the other local dealers. I put down a 1K deposit, and when the car came in, it was a low key event, no upselling, no surprises, just forked over the agreed price less my deposit.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyankee View Post
I just ordered one from Robert McCluskey at Peter Pan BMW... bay Area. Once I decided on the options, we agreed on a good price which happened to be better than all the other local dealers. I put down a 1K deposit, and when the car came in, it was a low key event, no upselling, no surprises, just forked over the agreed price less my deposit.
How long did it take for you to get your car?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: '95 toyota celica
I also just received the bimmer I ordered through Las Vegas BMW. I got it 7 weeks after I ordered it. I live in Idaho and drove to Vegas to take delivery!

We got it through the Costco program.....$500 over invoice, plus taxes, maco, etc.

I LOVE IT! I love that I got to configure it exactly how I wanted...all the fun things I dreamed of.....the wait only added to the anticipation!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
bitcalc - There are option and order forms in the first post of this forum that you should download and study carefully. Sometimes the only way to get an option is in a package. What each of the options and packages actually does, especially in the audio/phone pairing/navigation area or the suspension options area, can be confusing.

Salespeople sometimes do not understand the options very well, either.

This forum has many posts from people who thought they did not need/want an option and regretted not getting it.

When you order, the salesperson should print an order sheet from the BMW ordering system. Review it to besure it has all the options you want. Twice. Then sign/initial it and get a copy for your records. The dealer is assured that the order is correct and you are protected in case the car shows up with the wrong options (happens rarely). Even though the order is entered at that time and shortly after that will be "accepted" as a valid order, you have until the car actually enters production to change the order. Order changes after placement may delay the schedule, however, since each car is built "just in time" - BMW does not stock significant inventory of parts at the the assembly plant.

Then go out to the Spartanburg factory website and YouTube and look at videos of the X-series cars being built while you wait for "the call" that your car is headed your way. A good salesperson will proactiovely keep you posted on significant status changes.

Also, check out the Performance Center Delivery program
http://www.bmwusa.com/performancecenter#vehicledelivery

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 12-12-2013, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcalc View Post
How long did it take for you to get your car?
It actually took 3 weeks, but it felt like 3 months.

I believe each dealer gets allocated slots, and when I ordered mine, BMW had just released some new slots for my dealer, and my order went into production within a few days. They can tell you when the slot is scheduled when you order it.

Also, the BMW tracking online site said my car was finished and waiting at the shipping dock for two weeks, but then my dealer called me and said it had arrived. For us, the car goes by train from NC to Oxnard Ca, and then by truck up here to the bay area.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx3 View Post
I also just received the bimmer I ordered through Las Vegas BMW. I got it 7 weeks after I ordered it. I live in Idaho and drove to Vegas to take delivery!

We got it through the Costco program.....$500 over invoice, plus taxes, maco, etc.

I LOVE IT! I love that I got to configure it exactly how I wanted...all the fun things I dreamed of.....the wait only added to the anticipation!
Congrats! So 8 weeks are normal.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Thank you all. It sounds like fun to order.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
Congrats! It will be a long and painful but very worthwhile wait
Remember to post pics! Or it didn't happen

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay