Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-14-2013, 05:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: RAV4
Advise please - X3,X5,RX350 or something else

Hi all,

I am planning to buy a new car in the next few months and would like some opinions and advice as to which car to buy. The more I read the more the decision becomes confusing. I have not yet test driven any of these cars.

I currently drive a RAV4 v6 sports and I drive about 120 miles a day. I need something that is more comfortable than my current car.

My wife drives the 2013 3 series and we leased the car so I drive that during weekends and love how it drives. This is our first BMW.

I am not sure, if I should buy a Lexus RX350 or lease a BMW X3. My wife also does not want us to lease 2 cars and of the same brand.

Here is what I am thinking, once her lease is up we can get either a 5 series or a X3/X5 and for the other car just buy the Lexus RX350. I have driven the lexus rx hybrid once and felt really nice inside and it was very quiet and roomy inside and felt luxurious.

I am not sure if the X3's seats are soft and comfortable as Lexus, for a long commute everyday I want something comfortable, 3 series on long drives is not very comfortable. I saw one of the 2014 X5 review videos and the seats looked really soft and plush and the interior very luxurious compared to an X3. I am not sure how much different will it be in person between the X3 and the X5.

Also, which of these cars have the most creature comfort. standard features vs. options.

I know i am all over the place, but thats why I need some advice from you guys to get some clarity.
Ads by Google
Old 12-14-2013, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I just went through this exact same process. I drive a 2013 335 and my wife currently drives a 2011 328. I ruled out the RX350 almost immediately after the test drive. The driving experience simply does not compare to the X3. The Lexus interior is very dated, and their control interface is poor. The BMW free maintenance was also a nice benefit over the Lexus.

I considered the X5 as well, but my wife and I ultimately decided that it was too big for our current needs. We are expecting delivery of our 2014 X3 in a few weeks.
07 335xi (sold)
Old 12-14-2013, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
We had a RX450h a few years back, very nice car, but it does not drive like a X3. Sounds like your priority is comfort, the RX is a more comfortable car. Another consideration is mileage, if you drive 120 miles a day, your warranty will run out in less than 2 years and you do not want to own a BMW without warranty. On the other hand, the X5 with the optional comfort seats is probably one of the most comfortable car I have veer been in.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i

Can you even lease a car if u drive 120miles a day?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-14-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: M3, MDX
Post Options

I would suggest '14 MDX as option. Driving experience not as good as X3 35i, but much better than most, great resale, and Tech model at $49,000. Better reliability than most. Next summer will be new X3 35i or MDX. My heart is with X3, my brain (and checkbook) is MDX. I'll probably get the BMW....I've had 2 MDX and 4 BMWs.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
We had a RX450h a few years back, very nice car, but it does not drive like a X3. ... the RX is a more comfortable car.
I also currently have a RX350 and that car, although certainly reliable and comfortable, is a true POS - I hate the damn thing.

It handles terribly unless you are going at constant speed on a well paved interstate. It is bouncy, suffers terribly from torque steer if given sudden throttle, and I always have the feeling I am going to lose control when taking curves. A couple of years ago we drove through the mountains around Cashiers, NC and I did not enjoy driving it at all. As I said before, it is uncannily reminiscent of my dad's big heavy metal 1950 Buicks and Cadillacs.

The $2400 Nav system is worthless because almost all user input is locked out once underway, even with someone in the passenger seat. It is necessary to pull over to a full stop on a shoulder to search for a restaurant, hotel, gas station, etc. The animosity towards Toyota because of the Nav system is way out of proportion to what it should be but we also always have a $200 Garmin on top of the dash so my wife and I can make decisions on hotels and places to eat.

My X3 is a joy in all respects compared to that hated Lexus. The sport seats are very comfortable and the Lexus has no edge at all in comfort. Even though I have owned Toyota products previously I doubt there will ever be another one.

Last edited by RhoXS; 12-14-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:22 PM

RhoXS,

Do you have the last gen RX350? Ours was a newer model and it did handle a bit better than the last gen, but it certainly did not drive like the X3. The seats in the newer RX are also a bit more comfortable. The Lexus navi is a better system than the BMW's overall but you are right about the motion lock out, it was a PITA.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:45 PM

Well, its 120 miles a day, but its not every day, only a couple of days in a week, so my estimate has been around 17,000 a year, which I guess is still high in lease terms.

Well, when i do go to test drive the X3/X5 which seats should I look for, comfort seats? how many types are there?

In my current 328i, i don't like the seats so much, I feel the seat could use more cushion. However the drive is great.

MDX is good, but loves gas and I don't know does not seem luxury to me personally.

Should I even try the audi Q5? or any infinity, although overtime i think of infinity it just reminds me of Nissan cars, which I personally don't care about.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
RhoXS,

Do you have the last gen RX350? Ours was a newer model and it did handle a bit better than the last gen, but it certainly did not drive like the X3. The seats in the newer RX are also a bit more comfortable. The Lexus navi is a better system than the BMW's overall but you are right about the motion lock out, it was a PITA.
Its a 2009 (purchased new in Dec 2008), one of the last of the last generation. We would have traded it a long time ago but have only 65K miles on it and it is still in showroom perfect condition mechanically and cosmetically so it is hard to justify replacing it.

I have three major complaints with it: 1) terrible handling, 2) the ultra offensive Nav system, and 3) a very noticeable reduction in the quality of the interior materials, especially the leather (when compared to a RX300 we once had and liked).

I really like my X3, although, acknowledgeably, it is not perfect. Also, contrary to many others, I also like the nav system. The iDrive is wonderful and allows easy and minimally distracting access to all functions (it is just necessary to take some time to get to know the menu hierarchy). I also think my X3 is very comfortable and just has a good feel in all respects. I like getting in the car and almost look for excuses to need to drive somewhere (I feel the same about my 2002 Z3). I dread getting in the RX350 although it is comfortable to sit in, just not as comfortable as the X3.

One of the reasons I feel so much animosity towards Toyota, the handling and nav system not withstanding, is that I took a considerable amount of time to give Toyota some meaningful feedback in response to a survey sometime during the first year after we purchased it. Toyota did not provide any response at all, not even just thanking me for the feedback, so I am left with the impression I believe is true that they just don't give a ****. They make a really reliable product, I think most people buy their products for this reason alone, and I am not sure anything else matters to Toyota.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
The best thing for you to do is to test drive the cars. What we share are our personal views and our body build and shape may not be the same. I tested all 3 models in the RX series. They are very comfortable cars but it does not engage the driver. I don't get much feedback and thrill. Felt like it was driving me. Maybe better for the ladies (apologies...no harm intended). Q5 and X3 were head to head. X5 was too big. Things "appear" out of reach and I felt like swimming in the seat. Did not like the external look of Q5 especially from the front. In short, a happy and proud owner of X3 28i. Thinking back, I should have just made the splash and get myself the X3 35i model. Engine is quiet and smooth at idle.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
All you need it looks like is a soft-riding and comfortable long hauler....?
DHP equipped and Multi-contour seat equipped

Any mercedes CUV (GLK, ML, GL)

or a Lexus Rx

All of the above will soak up the bumps and let you drive in comfort!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:58 AM

What is DHP and is there an image of the multi-contour seat? does the X3 have this option?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus GS430 | Volvo XC60R

I went through this same issue a year ago and today I'm very happy with my decision. I bought the Volvo XC60 R-Design. My mother bought the RX350 around the same time so I was able to compare the two pretty closely. The X3 and Q5 were also contenders but the size was smaller and price was much greater for comparable or even lesser options. The XC60 R has been a great small SUV. The power is best in class, MPG is okay at 17/23. The 2014 models have a slightly redesigned exterior but the tech on the inside is greatly upgraded. I'm not sure if anyone makes better seats. I can't say enough good things about it. It definitely gets overlooked but I think it's a great buy. I'd do it again. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1387119908.847886.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	412470

Old 12-15-2013, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1 on the Volvo seats. They are by far the most comfortable and supportive seats I have ridden in -- great quality leather too. Everyone is different however, and what fits me might not be comfortable to others. The BMW sport seats for example are very uncomfortable to me and I wouldn't have a car with them. The XC60 is a bit of a sleeper here -- very competitive in the class but hardly ever mentioned in comparos.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulchild79 View Post
I went through this same issue a year ago and today I'm very happy with my decision. I bought the Volvo XC60 R-Design. My mother bought the RX350 around the same time so I was able to compare the two pretty closely. The X3 and Q5 were also contenders but the size was smaller and price was much greater for comparable or even lesser options. The XC60 R has been a great small SUV. The power is best in class, MPG is okay at 17/23. The 2014 models have a slightly redesigned exterior but the tech on the inside is greatly upgraded. I'm not sure if anyone makes better seats. I can't say enough good things about it. It definitely gets overlooked but I think it's a great buy. I'd do it again. Attachment 412470

Is the XC60 not in the same class as the X3? When you say best power in its class, I assume you are talking about get up and go. The 0-60mph times I found for it were:

2010 Volvo XC60 0-60 mph 6.7

2011 Volvo XC60 T5 R-Design Premium 0-60 mph 7.9

The X3 35i does 0-60 in 5.6
Old 12-15-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Well, when i do go to test drive the X3/X5 which seats should I look for, comfort seats? how many types are there?
The X3 has a upgrade sport seats that comes with the M-Sport option. The x5 has a optional multi-contour seat for $1300 and a luxury seat option for $1700, which is basically the multi-contour seats with ventilation and messaging function.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
Is the XC60 not in the same class as the X3? When you say best power in its class, I assume you are talking about get up and go. The 0-60mph times I found for it were:

2010 Volvo XC60 0-60 mph 6.7

2011 Volvo XC60 T5 R-Design Premium 0-60 mph 7.9

The X3 35i does 0-60 in 5.6
Well those numbers don't really make sense. Why would the R-Design be slower than the standard package. Here's some info from Car and Driver.

http://www.caranddriver.com/volvo/xc60

Old 12-15-2013, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: Alpine White F25 35i
Quote:
Should I even try the audi Q5? or any infinity, although overtime i think of infinity it just reminds me of Nissan cars, which I personally don't care about.
Definitely throw the Q5 into the mix... it's probably the middle ground between the RX350 and X3

It sounds like comfort is your main priority and when cross shopping the two, I found the Audi was more comfortable and cushy while the X3 was better handling and a more engaging drive.

I personally don't really care for the Acura or Infiniti products, they just don't have the same level of refinement.

Really, the best thing to do is to spend an afternoon between dealerships and try everything... car shopping is fun.

Last edited by Tangsta; 12-15-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: M3, MDX
The C&D time for the X3 is the turbo four, not the six, which is a 5.5 to 5.6 0-60
Old 12-15-2013, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulchild79 View Post
Well those numbers don't really make sense. Why would the R-Design be slower than the standard package. Here's some info from Car and Driver.

http://www.caranddriver.com/volvo/xc60

Even going by the times you posted it still isn't as fast as the X3. That's why I asked if they have it in the same comparison class when you said the Volvo was best in class.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
What is DHP and is there an image of the multi-contour seat? does the X3 have this option?
I don`t believe the X3 has it, so I didn`t put them together. The ordering guide would be a better in figure if its offered.

Sport seats are good for their design purpose and terrible for what you are after. Simply stated they HURT for day to day driving (long commutes).

Multi-contour seats=20+way adjustment and they literally are the best BMW can offer. Plus you can add heating or ventilation as option. But only found on 5-series and above.

DHP or adaptive drive, gives you full control over the suspension. But I would try an test a vehicle with no DHP and one with DHP and see how you like it.

Xc60 seats are designed well, but I would require a bit more lumbar support. (personal preference).

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-15-2013, 02:43 PM

According to Car and Driver, the X3 35i hit 0-60 in 5.5 and the XC60 R-design in 5.7 sec, pretty close. While the X3's interior has a very utilitarian design, the center console of the XC60 is has a face that only a mother can love.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
Even going by the times you posted it still isn't as fast as the X3. That's why I asked if they have it in the same comparison class when you said the Volvo was best in class.
The link I posted had the X3 @ 6.2. But I guess it depends on the source for the numbers.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangsta View Post
Definitely throw the Q5 into the mix... it's probably the middle ground between the RX350 and X3

It sounds like comfort is your main priority and when cross shopping the two, I found the Audi was more comfortable and cushy while the X3 was better handling and a more engaging drive.

I personally don't really care for the Acura or Infiniti products, they just don't have the same level of refinement.

Really, the best thing to do is to spend an afternoon between dealerships and try everything... car shopping is fun.
Definitely consider the Q5. It was a tad bit small for me but otherwise a great all around vehicle. To be honest you probably can't go wrong with any of the aforementioned suv's.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1M, 740i MSport
Quote:
According to Car and Driver, the X3 35i hit 0-60 in 5.5 and the XC60 R-design in 5.7 sec, pretty close. While the X3's interior has a very utilitarian design, the center console of the XC60 is has a face that only a mother can love.

That looks good but I cant see myself into Volvo anymore,
I once considered Volvo a premium brand, their cars had an image of safety and technological refinement closely tied to its Swedish roots.
IMO the Chinese ownership erode all that image.

To the OP, I would stick with a X3, Q5, GLK, in that order.