Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Same here, we are on our 3rd BMW and so far only had to replace an adaptive headlight computer on our old 2011 328xi. My 2008 Lexus GS350 was in the shop for over 6 week in the 1st year. Rattles everywhere, dealer took the whole dashboard out and felt everything and still did not fix the rattles. It also had squeaking brakes that the dealer cannot fix as well as an intermittent starting problem on the 1st crank that the dealer cannot duplicate.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: e46, X3
i'm actually considering picking up a Mercedes C class for a change of pace.

Have had 4 BMWs under lease, not high mileage but not a lot of problems.

We bought a 2011 Toyota Highlander as kid hauler and have had a couple problems already.

Entire rear tailgate assembly failed (defective/weak hinges cause power mechanism to fail, bending both hinge and hatch).

TSB is out, repair is $3k (under warranty).

Very un Toyota like (our first) and so far I'm not super impressed. Only reason we bought was due to reliability. It has a whiney transmission and a few other little problems.

38,000 miles on the clock. I bought an extended factory warranty, 6/100k for $689.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 28i, 2009 BMW
I have owened a few Japanese cars and had tons of issues with them. I had an 03 Acura RSX and 180,000 KM on it and a lot of electrical issues with it. Power windows and door locks not working after 6 yrs, Also sway bar links, Starter, Alternator, VTEC assembly, AC, etc.. I also had a 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV and man that was a lemon. In 6 yrs I went through 2 engine replacements, starter alternator, intermediate pipe from the cat back an more. That Sentra was a total lemon. I have an 2009 323i and had a few issues with oild consumption and was fixed under warranty and so far so good. Also have a 2014 X3 and so far so good but to early to tell. Also the Acura and Nissan I had rusted pretty bad. So far none on the BMW.

Last edited by BMWX328i; 12-04-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
I can see where a single car can be a "reliability nightmare", there are indeed some lemons, but I just lose all credibility in a person's complaint when the entire BMW brand is characterized as a reliability nightmare.

I have had a number of BMWs going back to a new 1988 E30 M3 and, in my experience, they are overall not as incredibly reliable as the Toyota/Lexus products we have owned over the years. That does not mean they are unreliable cars, that means they just require noticeably more corrective maintanence over their lifetime than say our Toyota/Lexus products did. In fact, the BMWs excell so incredibly at providing such a great street driving experience, I am more than willing to accept this greater increase in maintenace costs.

I did own two Honda products (a Prelude VTEC and an Acura) and the number of major repairs was unacceptable in comparison to what I have experienced with BMW but again a "reliability nightmare" would be an incorrect way to characterize these cars. Now, on the other hand, my 1971 new Buick Skylark was indeed a true maintenance nightmare in many respects and, as a result, I have never again owned a car made by one of the American manufactures although a number of my Japanese and BMW products were built in the US.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
RhoXS,

As you said there are lemons out there and I see that your Skylark may fit into that bucket. I owned a 1995 Buick Riviera for 18 years and it was a great running car of course there was maintenance and I did have a major warranty repair when the tranny died in 1997 but other than that it has run great.

With 208,000 miles on it I recently turned it over to my nephew and he has been driving it daily for about a year now and it keeps motoring along. I can only hope my BMW lasts a third of that time with no major problems.

I do enjoy my X3!

ERK

Last edited by erkbiz; 12-04-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkbiz View Post
RhoXS,

As you said there are lemons out there and I see that your Skylark may fit into that bucket. I owned a 1995 Buick Riviera for 18 years and it was a great running car of course there was maintenance and I did have a major warranty repair when the tranny died in 1997 but other than that it has run great.

With 208,000 miles on it I recently turned it over to my nephew and he has been driving it daily for about a year now and it keeps motoring along. I can only hope my BMW lasts a third of that time with no major problems.

I do enjoy my X3!

ERK
So it is a great car but the Tranny died??? Doesn't sound like a great car if the tranny died lol...
Old 12-04-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX328i View Post
Doesn't sound like a great car if the tranny died lol...
That really is not a meaningful statement.

It is 100% perdicatable, no matter the car/transmission manufacturer, that some transmission failures will occur. Any given part or assembly is going to have some failure rate, that is just the nature of virtually everything that exists. The appropriate question, if making a value judgement about the greatness of the car, is to ask what is the failure rate? A single transmission failure, with no other data, in no way, allows one to come to any meaningful conclusion with respect to the greatness of a car.

Also, even in applications where failures can be catastrophic, such as nuclear energy for example, we talk in terms of failure tolerance. We never even suggest we can build a failure proof system or device - that would be foolhardy. That is why, in addition to doing the best we can to assure high reliability, we build in so much redundancy. We just know no matter how diligently we try we cannot prevent failures.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
That really is not a meaningful statement.

It is 100% perdicatable, no matter the car/transmission manufacturer, that some transmission failures will occur. Any given part or assembly is going to have some failure rate, that is just the nature of virtually everything that exists. The appropriate question, if making a value judgement about the greatness of the car, is to ask what is the failure rate? A single transmission failure, with no other data, in no way, allows one to come to any meaningful conclusion with respect to the greatness of a car.

Also, even in applications where failures can be catastrophic, such as nuclear energy for example, we talk in terms of failure tolerance. We never even suggest we can build a failure proof system or device - that would be foolhardy. That is why, in addition to doing the best we can to assure high reliability, we build in so much redundancy. We just know no matter how diligently we try we cannot prevent failures.
Thanks Tips!!
Old 12-04-2013, 01:19 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
BMW, "a reliability nightmare", do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mull6 View Post
To add to my post above I would like to hear from others who have more experience with these vehicles than me. Have I just been lucky or are these cars pretty reliable? I have also heard that the more base models like I have are more reliable is this true?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
I would think not more reliable but less things to go wrong... I hope that my 2 are reliable
Old 12-04-2013, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX328i View Post
So it is a great car but the Tranny died??? Doesn't sound like a great car if the tranny died lol...
BMWX328i,

I will say that if you would've asked me at the time what I was thinking about the car it sure wouldn't be, "Boy, what a great car this is!", but time heals all complaints, I guess.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkbiz View Post
BMWX328i,

I will say that if you would've asked me at the time what I was thinking about the car it sure wouldn't be, "Boy, what a great car this is!", but time heals all complaints, I guess.
LOL ya I hear ya!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:17 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
BMW, "a reliability nightmare", do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mull6 View Post
To add to my post above I would like to hear from others who have more experience with these vehicles than me. Have I just been lucky or are these cars pretty reliable? I have also heard that the more base models like I have are more reliable is this true?
On our 3rd Bimmer:
First one 1993 (E34) sedan, has 204,000 miles and just started leaking from engine seals/gaskets. Other than that it has only needed a radiator, had an ignition switch replaced due to corrosion and necessary wear and tear items (brakes and suspension) until about a year ago. I just finished replacing 2 window regulators and a window motor. If the exterior wasn't rusting due to NE winters and SE ocean spray and leather torn up from our dog I would dive in to the many things it needs (suspension, heater core, A/C expansion valve, engine seals and gaskets) to get it back up to snuff plus we now have two good vehicles so why waste the time and money?

Second was 2000 (E39) wagon foolishly purchased sight unseen on EBay. It had 66,000 miles at time of purchase and had been treated very poorly (sludge, front end accident). Wound up dumping it with 185,000 miles on it, but had to replace radiator twice (plastic was very brittle) and a radiator hose among normal wear items. What caused the dump was the need for a rear differential, front and rear suspension, pneumatic lifts for lift gate, something else I'm forgetting AND clear coat completely flaked off hood and front fenders. Estimate was $7500 not including paint job, that was Dec. 2010 and had paid $16,500 for the car in 2005 so felt that money would be better spent going towards a newer vehicle that didn't have these issues.

Purchased a 2010 (F07) this summer, currently has just under 20,000 miles and hoping that it will run like the E34! Absolutely love this car, but have had a few "option" hassles. Had a metallic chirp/squeak coming from the passenger seat rear entertainment, night vision warning malfunction that the dealer can't seem to find anything abnormal, a rear window regulator broke after a malfunction when soft closing the door (window moves every time open/close door due to frameless design). Just small hassle items that hopefully won't reappear later.

All in all I may consider this list to constitute a headache but not a "maintenance nightmare". Especially considering total mileage driven for first two vehicles has been 260,000 miles and total years of 17 years (E34 = 11, E39 = 6). I'm guessing total maintenance outlay for first two vehicles to be no more than $12000 (tires, suspension, brakes, radiators and other little items I surely have forgotten)...but I'm really not sure.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: Outback. Shopping for X3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrada View Post
You'd be surprised how quickly it can add up to $20,000 on a BMW. I paid about $500 out of pocket for that. The rest was paid by Fidelity. Fidelity is the actual company providing the policies, which are resold by BMW. (It is amazing how cheerful the Fidelity adjusters continued to be in the face of a gruesome onslaught of repairs constituting about 5x the cost of the policy)
How to buy the extended warrant through Fidelity? I'm buying a new X3 and would like to add more years.

In overall, I think, that only a small portion of BMW cars break, so even though Fidelity pays many times more than a single policy quote, it still makes money by the large pool of people who buy extended warrants. It's just like any insurance.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcalc View Post
How to buy the extended warrant through Fidelity? I'm buying a new X3 and would like to add more years.

In overall, I think, that only a small portion of BMW cars break, so even though Fidelity pays many times more than a single policy quote, it still makes money by the large pool of people who buy extended warrants. It's just like any insurance.
I copy and pasted this from another post. I got my policy from Troy. His email is below. Great guy and a good price IMO.

I opted for Fidelity as I bought new and I liked that it covers seals and gaskets and the extended BMW did not. Fidelity writes plans for Lexus or did so they are reputable based on research. I purchased from a guy at a dealership in MA after reading great reviews on the guy. I am in FL.

TDietrich@FD-Warranty.com

Old 12-13-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 05 545i
Not that my opinion means that much, but I'm one of those BMW owners that buys them after the warranty is over. Only way I can afford one.

It helps if you can do some of the regular maintanence yourself, saves money.

The only one I might dump is the 545i when my warranty is up in 2014, but it's been a great car for almot 2 years now.
Find a good indy and that will keep cost down a lot after the warranty runs out.

My favorite one so far was a 88 735i bought with 112,000. Only put shocks, tie rods, inner and outer and oil pan gasket, driveshaft center bearing rebuilt. Total cost of ownership for 7 years besides oil and gas, $9800.00 which includes purchase price of $7200.00.

Ran to 176,000, sold in good running condition.

I guess what I'm trying to say is even a poor smuck like me can buy BMW's and enjoy them without breaking the bank.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp735i View Post
My favorite one so far was a 88 735i bought with 112,000. Only put shocks, tie rods, inner and outer and oil pan gasket, driveshaft center bearing rebuilt. Total cost of ownership for 7 years besides oil and gas, $9800.00 which includes purchase price of $7200.00.
Ahhh, the good old days when a car is still mostly mechanical, nothing like today's cars which is basically computers on wheels.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Ahhh, the good old days when a car is still mostly mechanical, nothing like today's cars which is basically computers on wheels.
And, really, except for some whiz bang bells and whistles like the interface with my iPhone, what does a car today really do for us to improve our travel comfort that a non-computerized car from circa 1980 didn't do (except for the engine management fuel injection computer)? I never felt like I wanted for anything when I traveled cross country in my 1979 Datsun 280ZX.

For example, does the logic that turns on the appropriate fog light when I turn the steering wheel do anything all that useful or more than linking the dedicated corning light in my Dad's 1964 Buick Electrica with the turn signal via a simple relay? I like all these nice to have features, especially the nav system, but, are they worth the price paid in the incredible complexity that is required?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
And, really, except for some whiz bang bells and whistles like the interface with my iPhone, what does a car today really do for us to improve our travel comfort that a non-computerized car from circa 1980 didn't do (except for the engine management fuel injection computer)? I never felt like I wanted for anything when I traveled cross country in my 1979 Datsun 280ZX.

For example, does the logic that turns on the appropriate fog light when I turn the steering wheel do anything all that useful or more than linking the dedicated corning light in my Dad's 1964 Buick Electrica with the turn signal via a simple relay? I like all these nice to have features, especially the nav system, but, are they worth the price paid in the incredible complexity that is required?
My thoughts exactly. The headlight aiming gizmo on the bi-xenon headlamps worries me the most - basically a plastic arm attached to the steering arm on one end and joystick on the other. Sits there unprotected in the wheel well. i wonder how long that thing will last.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 12-15-2013, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverman View Post
My thoughts exactly. The headlight aiming gizmo on the bi-xenon headlamps worries me the most - basically a plastic arm attached to the steering arm on one end and joystick on the other. Sits there unprotected in the wheel well. i wonder how long that thing will last.
That little plastic arm has been around ever since the e46. I had a 330ci for 11 years and was an active participant on those forums. The ONLY time I ever read about that breaking was due to human error: screwing with the suspension without disconnecting it first. I would hardly consider that an Achilles heel.