Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
To the person who drove the Sq5. Correct me if im wrong here but is the NADM SQ5 just a Prestige decked out with more features and body trimmings?
No, the SQ5 has a higher tuned variant of the S4's engine, supposedly with a new crankshaft and a stiffened block. It's rated at 354/346 and comes in Premium Plus or Prestige trims and starts at 51.9k. AFAIK, they don't offer the sport differential or adaptive suspension on it, which you can get with Macan, the PTV and PASM options. Macan also offers Sport Chrono.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: German
RDX is a joke. No thanks.

X3 and Q5 are both great. There is no wrong choice between the two. Personally, I'd give a slight edge to the Q5 due to better powertrains and better fit/finish. The fact that the Q5 is sold in SQ5 and TDI form is amazing. If I wasn't waiting for the Macan, I would have no issues trading my X5 for a SQ5.

The Macan will be unlike anything in this segment. No one else offers twin-turbo engines, torque-vectoring AWD, air suspension, PASM, dual-clutch transmissions, and 400hp in a cute ute. The Macan Turbo is my front-runner.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Don't forget to take a look at the new XC60R either. Very competitive but seldom mentioned in the comparos! Well worth a test drive IMHO. I'm waiting for the Macan too!
Old 12-15-2013, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
RDX is a joke. No thanks.

X3 and Q5 are both great. There is no wrong choice between the two. Personally, I'd give a slight edge to the Q5 due to better powertrains and better fit/finish. The fact that the Q5 is sold in SQ5 and TDI form is amazing. If I wasn't waiting for the Macan, I would have no issues trading my X5 for a SQ5.

The Macan will be unlike anything in this segment. No one else offers twin-turbo engines, torque-vectoring AWD, air suspension, PASM, dual-clutch transmissions, and 400hp in a cute ute. The Macan Turbo is my front-runner.
I agree on the driving performance abilities on the RDX, its not going to be anything like the X3 or Q5. The Macan is on a whole different level of driving and really at its target price points (not the base models) its really out of comparison range of most buyers of the X3, Q5, XC90, RX, RDX, and etc. Its almost similar to the X5 i built out on the BMWNA website and thats loaded to the gills.

Personal Opinion, investing in a Cayenne or Macan is kinda of pointless (although the business case is obviously there), since:
1) They`ll be only used as DD. Navigating that is best suited for something nimble and small..can anyone say Jagggggg F type, Panmera, m3/4 e63s
2)If i need an offroader those two will probably not work (at least not without switching over to the proper tires).

BTW to the OP if your concerned about costs after warranty, after CPO, I would not touch any CPO X3 or Q5.....too many modules and electronics=$$$$ Get the RDX; its bland but Japanese bland (aka reliable)

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Advise on buying X3 or RDX or Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
I agree on the driving performance abilities on the RDX, its not going to be anything like the X3 or Q5. The Macan is on a whole different level of driving and really at its target price points (not the base models) its really out of comparison range of most buyers of the X3, Q5, XC90, RX, RDX, and etc. Its almost similar to the X5 i built out on the BMWNA website and thats loaded to the gills.

Personal Opinion, investing in a Cayenne or Macan is kinda of pointless (although the business case is obviously there), since:
1) They`ll be only used as DD. Navigating that is best suited for something nimble and small..can anyone say Jagggggg F type, Panmera, m3/4 e63s
2)If i need an offroader those two will probably not work (at least not without switching over to the proper tires).

BTW to the OP if your concerned about costs after warranty, after CPO, I would not touch any CPO X3 or Q5.....too many modules and electronics=$$$$ Get the RDX; its bland but Japanese bland (aka reliable)
I have had zero electronic issues on my X3 - probably just jinxed myself of course!

Hitting 154k late this week!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
I have had zero electronic issues on my X3 - probably just jinxed myself of course!

Hitting 154k late this week!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thats good to hear that some E83s weren`t hit with electronic issues. The F25 however is a module wonderland and hence reliability after CPO is a bit more risky.

At the end of the day, if you have a nice rainy day fund setup for your CUV your good. But if your not looking forward to having to spend money on a vehicle after warranty don`t stick with a german module laden CUV. Its sad since they drive so well, but its reality...you want a car that can drive on the limits of physics (bit of overexageration there but the points clear i hope) every time you jump in it...

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!