Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 11-24-2013, 11:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M5
Transmission malfunction & Servotonic malfunctioin?!?!

Okay, So i just bought a used 2006 and the day i brought it home everything was great. Tried out the launch control, tried M mode, had fun, but wasnt rough on her. The next day I parked the car and had to fly to Los Angeles. I was gone for 4 days and the car sat in the rain and cold, When i get back into town I decide to take the M5 out for another spin.

I was gentle, I knew it had been sitting and didnt want to start off hard. Later that night after i am about to leave the store...I put it in R and start to pull out slowly and then it happend. TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION.

So turn the car off, back on, and pulled away, everything fine. Later that night im driving slowly down the road and I get a Servotronic Malfunction...I lost steering assist, and pulled over, turned car off, and everything was okay. After that i got pissed and decided to put it in M mode and see what happend, and the car ran great.

The next day, after sitting in the cold over night again, I started the car up, drove slowly, and i went to another store, i was in there for maybe 10 minutes and when im pulling onto the road, leaving the parking lot, I get another Transmission Malfunction, so i drive to the dealer, and they said they cant do anything because we cant see the problem on the Idrive messages ( I turned the car off at dealers). So i leave and drove the car a few more times after that and no issue. Now i have an appointment at the dealers tomorrow and they are going to run a battery check free of charge. ANY THOUGHTS OR ANYONE HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM?!

UPDATE:
Went to the dealership today, and had the battery checked. On my way to the dealership I had Transmission, DSC, ABS, and servotronic malfunction pop up, I didn't pull over and restart the car, I wanted them to see the faults. So they did and they took the car back. 2 hours later, they said the car's voltage was low, and they charged the battery and reset all the codes, and sent me on my way. After I left the car ran great, Until I decided to get gas. I turn the car off, filled up and left. Now im pulling on to the street and I get a Servotronic malfunction again. I was Driving in a straight line when it happened cruising in 4th gear steadily. Heads up display went away, and lights turned off then back on, and I see the malfunction on my screen. Steering wheel tightened up, and I drove it back to my garage. Im still scratching my head.

I see a lot of people with this issue, but no one is really explaining what is going on. I heard bad alternator, bad alternator rectifier, software needs updated, Check your fluids and belts, replace battery, and replace a bunch of sensors that cost 2.3 million each.

Has anyone had this issue, actually better question...Has anyone figured out what is wrong? My dealer's labor rate is $120 an hour, and I really don't want to get molested by my "friends" at the dealership.

Any information would be great, THANKS!!!

Last edited by jrsnider92; 11-25-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Updated
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2013, 03:56 PM

Update:

Well, still having the issue. Some time shorty after driving the car, normally after i either turn on or off an electrical feature, like heater, heads up display, I'll soon get the malfunction. I have had the car on a battery tender, and the car needs a charge every time after i drive it. I have another appointment with the dealer tomorrow, but today I decided to take it in the Auto Zone and have them test the battery/ alternator, And my battery is a bad battery, they said it needs relpaced, and they cant check the alternator until the battery is replaced...so my initial assessment is looking more to be the case. Im curious to see what the dealer says is wrong tomorrow. At this point I would say it is the alternator, or the voltage regulator. I havent heard of my issue being fixed with a new battery. I know if the battery is dead, its possible that the cause of the dead battery, if from a faulty alternator. I'll learn more tomorrow. If anyone wants to elaborate of this, or if you are having a similar issue, please let me know.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:58 AM

Unhappy Am i being taken for a ride?

The dealership said my battery was at 99% when they tested it, and he was shocked as well, there shouldn't be a 99% on a battery thats 7 years old. He agreed that there is something funky going wrong with the battery...but he said wants to order a new RELAY?!

I don't understand why they wont replace the battery... They decided to keep it over night, and will try a cold start in the morning and take it for a drive.

And I just thought of something today as well i wanted to share... I noticed when I took it through the car wash, I had a stream of water pouring in through the top corner of the rear windsheild on the passager back side. So now i'm thinking, when the car sat 4 days in heavy rains, I wonder if water got in and did some damage... I don't know if this is related, just throughing it out there.

Overall my dealership has been cool about everything, BUT i still sense im being taken for a ride, and I'm wondering if they are trying to make a few bucks off me. I've never heard of the RELAY fixing this issue. I HAD THE BATTERY TESTED AND IT WAS DEAD...is it possible for a dead battery to magically become perfect again...No.

Any thoughts...please help me. This is my first BMW M5, and so far, not really enjoying the experience...
Old 12-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Talking Problem solved!

Finally, the dealership agreed I have a bad alternator. They called me today and said they would order a new one, and replace it. Even better news, they said it would cost $1,400...But they said sales would pick up the bill!!

Which is the right thing to do...they sold me a car with a bad alternator?!

So i get the car back early next week, ill test it out, and do an update.

My advice...anyone that is having the same problems...get the battery, alternator, and fuse box looked at first.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:10 AM

Mein Auto: E60 M5
I wish I had seen this earlier. I could of told you exactly what you found out it was. I am glad they were honest and did not charge you. I experienced this a year ago and it was exactly your same symptoms and same diagnostics. I kept ignoring the issue and it lead to a more serious SMG issue.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:25 AM

How long did you ignore the malfunctions?
Old 12-08-2013, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: E60 M5
I ignored the issue for a little over a month. Not proud to say it but it was one of those things that I thought if I ignored it it would go away. Ended up costing me a lot of money.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 M5
Transmission malfunction & Servotonic malfunctioin?!?!

Wow, thanks for posting, this will help me if I experience the same issue. Thank God that they covered the cost of the alternator. Glad things worked out for you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-16-2013, 08:01 PM

yeah, if you have the same issues, its the alternator, or an issue with the alternator.

Update: I got the car back a few weeks ago now, and NO ISSUES, so it was the alternator.