Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Carmom Carmom is offline
Registered User
Location: us
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2013 x3 28i
Real-time traffic info

Hi - Is there a way to get real-time traffic information, like google traffic maps, to show up on the navigation screen ? I know that the BMW traffic info shows up, but it doesn't show all the incidents like google traffic does, at least here in the US ?

If there isn't a way, then I may have to buy a gadget to prop up my cell phone in the car. I really don't want to do that. I have a 5.5" screen on the android phone but would prefer to use the nav screen.

Thanks !
__________________
2013 - X3 28i
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-04-2014, 06:55 PM
steelerfan steelerfan is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntersville, nc
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i M Sport
i get real time traffic updates... i have the service through Sirius or XM. i use it frequently even when i don't have a destination but on a longer road trip (like back home when i dont need directions). When i have a destination & there is an accident in my route, it will come up on the screen & the HUD & tell me an accident & ask me to reroute. i love that feature
__________________
2004 BMW 330i
2014 BMW X3 35i Msport Carbon Black
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Drewsky's Avatar
Drewsky Drewsky is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 331
Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
i get real time traffic updates... i have the service through Sirius or XM. i use it frequently even when i don't have a destination but on a longer road trip (like back home when i dont need directions). When i have a destination & there is an accident in my route, it will come up on the screen & the HUD & tell me an accident & ask me to reroute. i love that feature
The traffic info you get that shows up on the nav and hud when navigating isn't from Sirius. It comes from a traffic provider via the BMW cellular data connection built into the car.

The sirius traffic is the channel you tune to for various cities and it tells you the traffic information.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Carmom Carmom is offline
Registered User
Location: us
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2013 x3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
The traffic info you get that shows up on the nav and hud when navigating isn't from Sirius. It comes from a traffic provider via the BMW cellular data connection built into the car.

The sirius traffic is the channel you tune to for various cities and it tells you the traffic information.

I don't have the HUD on my car, can i still get detailed traffic like google maps, on the NAV screen ?
__________________
2013 - X3 28i
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2014, 06:06 AM
dudley07726 dudley07726 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 180
Mein Auto: 2012 X3 2.8
I have NAV & Sirius on my 2012 X3. I do not pay extra for traffic info through Sirius like I do on my MB. Traffic information shows up on the screen in terms of symbols, colors, etc. The traffic info on my MB speaks to me telling me traffic info ahead. Once again, I pay extra for this on the MB. Only once on my X3 has it directed me to an alternate route via voice because of traffic ahead. It has never happened since and I have no clue as to why. I was on the Belt Pky head towards Kennedy Airport. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Pat_X5's Avatar
Pat_X5 Pat_X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Gabriel Valley - So Cal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,453
Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmom View Post
I don't have the HUD on my car, can i still get detailed traffic like google maps, on the NAV screen ?
Are you referring to the green, yellow, orange, and red colored road markings that indicate traffic speeds thru a highway or freeway ?

Click on the "Gray Screen" option under Navigation.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Drewsky's Avatar
Drewsky Drewsky is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 331
Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Are you referring to the green, yellow, orange, and red colored road markings that indicate traffic speeds thru a highway or freeway ?

Click on the "Gray Screen" option under Navigation.
...and when the map is up, hit Idrive option button, select "receive traffic info"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Carmom Carmom is offline
Registered User
Location: us
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2013 x3 28i
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I tried but am still unable to find real-time traffic on the Navigation Map. I see the text based screen of traffic in the area. What I was really looking for was what google traffic map gives, which is the yellow, green, red colors indicating traffic movement in real-time. Still haven't seen that in the NAV screen. I may just keep using the cell phone for this.
__________________
2013 - X3 28i
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Drewsky's Avatar
Drewsky Drewsky is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 331
Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmom View Post
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I tried but am still unable to find real-time traffic on the Navigation Map. I see the text based screen of traffic in the area. What I was really looking for was what google traffic map gives, which is the yellow, green, red colors indicating traffic movement in real-time. Still haven't seen that in the NAV screen. I may just keep using the cell phone for this.
If you can see the traffic issues list then the technology is doing its job and getting the data. The red/yellow/green is in there. Recommend you pay a visit to dealer so they can help you out, you are missing a setting somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Durkis Durkis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 212
Mein Auto: X3 35i
Just a heads up to you guys... NONE of the BMW's use SiriusXM Nav Traffic... They use the propriatary system that transmits the signal through the FM radio system I believe, although someone in this thread it comes from the cellular service hte cars have.

But I do know one thing the traffic info DOES NOT come from SiriusXM Nav Traffic... how do I know this, simple, because on my 2013 Ram 3500 I have have SiriusXM Nav Traffic, and its a separate monthly fee for the Traffic, and a separate fee for SiriusXM Travel Link... $5.99 a month for both... haha
__________________
2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Drewsky's Avatar
Drewsky Drewsky is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 331
Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkis View Post
Just a heads up to you guys... NONE of the BMW's use SiriusXM Nav Traffic... They use the propriatary system that transmits the signal through the FM radio system I believe, although someone in this thread it comes from the cellular service hte cars have.

But I do know one thing the traffic info DOES NOT come from SiriusXM Nav Traffic... how do I know this, simple, because on my 2013 Ram 3500 I have have SiriusXM Nav Traffic, and its a separate monthly fee for the Traffic, and a separate fee for SiriusXM Travel Link... $5.99 a month for both... haha
Uh, you didn't read my post #3 above too closely did you?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Durkis Durkis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 212
Mein Auto: X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
Uh, you didn't read my post #3 above too closely did you?
No I did... I was simply confirming your statement that the navigation system does not use SiriusXM Nav Traffic. Which seems to be a common misconception, as even other BMW owners I know personally thought it was the service SiriusXM offers.

The traffic information via the siriusxm radio stations has nothing to do with the navigation system.

Just agreeing with you thats all


I will say the Uconnect System in my 2013 Ram is nicer then the BWM (ive had multiple previous generations of the Uconnect system, this is the first generation where they have finally got it right) ... Menus arent a cluster fu*k like the bmw. I've been in a lot of different cars, and the voice prompts for bluetooth control of the phone is by far the best by leaps and bounds then any other car I've been in. The system is all touch screen, no idrive stupid dial. Even the new "touch idrive" i think will be a waste, i want to be able to touch the screen not hand write every letter... stupid i think.

The BMW system is more designed for the "refined" crowd in my opinion. Very classy in visual appearance. Where as my Uconnect system is a little more geared for the everyday folk. The worst of it all, my wife has no clue how to use any of the options on this car.

anyways... i went off on a tangent and jacked this post.
__________________
2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Drewsky's Avatar
Drewsky Drewsky is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 331
Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
I'm dismayed by all of the "touch screen" tech out there. What a dumb thing to put into a car. With a knob or switch I can find it with my eyes closed (or more importantly without taking my eyes off the road). For a touch screen I have to look at what I am touching AND guide my finger to there. Horrible. The saving grace of idrive is the hard buttons and the voice control minimizes all of that. They still have work to, and that idrive touch gimmick is good in concept but horrid in execution. One draws an "A" then am asked, "did you draw A" answer "yes", draw next letter, confirm next letter, on and on and on....

but I digress and have shamelessly thread jacked this thread. We now return to normal programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkis View Post
No I did... I was simply confirming your statement that the navigation system does not use SiriusXM Nav Traffic. Which seems to be a common misconception, as even other BMW owners I know personally thought it was the service SiriusXM offers.

The traffic information via the siriusxm radio stations has nothing to do with the navigation system.

Just agreeing with you thats all


I will say the Uconnect System in my 2013 Ram is nicer then the BWM (ive had multiple previous generations of the Uconnect system, this is the first generation where they have finally got it right) ... Menus arent a cluster fu*k like the bmw. I've been in a lot of different cars, and the voice prompts for bluetooth control of the phone is by far the best by leaps and bounds then any other car I've been in. The system is all touch screen, no idrive stupid dial. Even the new "touch idrive" i think will be a waste, i want to be able to touch the screen not hand write every letter... stupid i think.

The BMW system is more designed for the "refined" crowd in my opinion. Very classy in visual appearance. Where as my Uconnect system is a little more geared for the everyday folk. The worst of it all, my wife has no clue how to use any of the options on this car.

anyways... i went off on a tangent and jacked this post.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms