Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Learn how to drive. Neutral is there for a reason. Troll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by consuelaramirez View Post
no it is he car not the driver. this is a case by case basis . educate yourself before you respond with an ignorant uneducated response
Old 12-09-2013, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by consuelaramirez View Post
educate yourself before you respond with an ignorant uneducated response
I think this is grossly unfair to lbjgh, whose advice was obviously intended to be constructive. If any of us experience an unexpected acceleration, we would do well to follow lbjgh's recommendations.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
I have sudden acceleration in my 535xi

It happens just about every time I wear my work bootsn while driving my car.

Sudden acceleration is a problem with the BMW, regarding pedal placement.

There is no practical margin between the pedals, and with clunky, bulky shoes you easily can step on both pedals without realizing it. You don't drive a formula one car with clunky shoes either.

It took three sudden acceleration occurances while wearing my work boots for me to finally admit that my choice of driving shoes contributes to the problem.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Unintended acceleration can happen -- check the fairly recent Toyota Lexus problems, as well as the infamous Audi disasters of years ago. While some of this can be put down to driver error, or floormats, or thick soled shoes, others cannot and could laid at the door of the drive by wire systems. In any case it is a serious problem, one that should be reported.
In the cases of both the Audi and Toyota/Lexus "issues", no vehicle faults were ever discovered (although the floor mats were a problem in some of the Toyota/Lexus cases, but the vehicles themselves had no faults). Almost all cases of "unintended acceleration" have eventually been chalked up to operator error after a thorough investigation of the offending vehicles showed no problems.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Unintended acceleration can happen -- check the fairly recent Toyota Lexus problems, as well as the infamous Audi disasters of years ago. While some of this can be put down to driver error, or floormats, or thick soled shoes, others cannot and could laid at the door of the drive by wire systems. In any case it is a serious problem, one that should be reported.
The Audi 5000 did not have a drive by wire system.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
TSB = technical service bulletins
Old 02-28-2014, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Well here are more incidents. I own a 2013 X3 with less than 2000 miles on the odometer. Once in October 2013 and once in February 2014, with the vehile at a stop, the vehicle accelerated and hard braking did not stop immediaetly. The vehicle was at the dealer for a week the first time: they could not duplicate. It is now again at the dealer for 4 weeks. BMW USA is evaluating the vehicle, they claim engineers are looking at data collected. Now for all you experts that like to respond with stupid comments. Not everyone can go through a check list in their mind in seconds when they are accelerated forward from a stop and are more concerned with hitting another vehicle or person and thier eyes are scanning the area in front of them and not looking for buttons to stop! Most serious recalls are due to drivers that have experienced a problem and in some cases lost thier life. And it usually is always after someone has been killed that the NHTSA and the manufacture take it serious. BMWs are designed by humans and humans make errors.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naishsr View Post
Not everyone can go through a check list in their mind in seconds when they are accelerated forward from a stop and are more concerned with hitting another vehicle or person and thier eyes are scanning the area in front of them and not looking for buttons to stop!
Sorry but you are wrong there. Any person getting behind the wheel of any vehicle should know how to fully control the vehicle. I know, almost as a matter of reflex, that if my car makes like it is a rocket and starts going without my input, that I will shove the gearshift up (throwing it to neutral) and/or mashing the stop/start button. Both of those actions are designed as overrides to anything the car may be up to. Know them. Use them.

Quote:
BMWs are designed by humans and humans make errors.
Yes, but many people forget that the human is still the driver controlling the machine, not the other way around.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:02 AM

Make pretend world

Not everyone is as smart and quick on their actions like you. Maybe you should be a rocket scientist or brain surgeon!

The reality is that we are human, we drive 3000 lb vehicles and theses vehicles are to be predictable and not take off on their own.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Not everyone is as smart and quick on their actions like you. Maybe you should be a rocket scientist or brain surgeon!

The reality is that we are human, we drive 3000 lb vehicles and theses vehicles are to be predictable and not take off on their own.
Did your rpm increase as you step on the brakes harder?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:03 PM

Yes. The vehicle just started to move. It was not fast acceleration, just a gradual movement. Brakes pushed hard.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:40 PM

hmm,
Old 02-28-2014, 02:08 PM

This is not the situation. The vehicle is at a stop, no motion. Then it starts to move. Pressing the brakes does nothing. After about 10 to 20 feet it then stops. If I was rolling down the highway and I felt the car accelerate I think I would be able to put the vehicle in neutral and even engage the parking brake. But just sitting at a light and stop sign and it starts to move it is unexpected. Besides, all this is not relevant. The car should not accelerate unless I press on the accelerator! I am thinking software. I am assuming that BMWs have all sorts of code written into their operating system, someone at BMW wrote some bad lines of code?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:13 PM

My point of posting the video is at 60mph the car has a lot of kinetic energy at rest it has zero.

The brakes are able to overcome the kinetic energy at 60 therefore the brakes can overcome full thottle from rest even if a computer malfunction calls for maximum throttle.

I suggest it's more likely driver error than a brake malfunction.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:25 PM

I can understand your opinion. But unless you were the person in the drivers seat, it is only your opinion. It is almost impossible for the driver to hit the accelerator at a dead stop unless your foot slipped off the brake! I think then you would realize you caused the acceleration. I also own a Tacoma and have never had experienced this. This Beamer is history as soon as I get it back. This is my third BMW that I have owned and I am about 100% sure it is the last. But I will wait for the BMW engineers to provide their full analysis. I expect it on Monday or Tuesday.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35I
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvolgirl View Post
I just purchased a beautiful 2013 silver x3 35i m sport last weekend. It's gorgeous. It now has about 140 miles on it. Twice when breaking slowly (in a parting lot) to stop, the car/engine has continued to try to accelerate. To the point I was basically standing on the break and it was still creeping forward. The first time, to avoid crashing into the building in front to me, I punched the start/stop button to turn the car off. The second time, the car moved forward to where I had to pull into traffic quite dangerously. The floor mat was not obstructing the gas pedal etc. so that's not an issue. The dealer now has it back to investigate. Any thoughts? Never experienced anything like this before. Thanks.
I wonder if it was possible for the recall for 2012-14 BMW X3 Models with 28i engine for loss of brake power to also be associated with the 35i engine as well?T

The Problem:
The oil supply from the intake camshaft to the brake vacuum pump can become restricted. If this happens the brake vacuum pump could fail due to lack of lubrication, resulting in a loss of power brake assist.

The hydraulic brakes will still function to stop the vehicle but without power assist. Without assist the driver will need to apply much greater pedal pressure to stop the vehicle. The distance required to stop the vehicle will increase as most drivers will not be able to apply enough brake pedal pressure.

Last edited by master2301; 03-01-2014 at 02:28 AM. Reason: add information
Old 03-01-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Yes. The vehicle just started to move. It was not fast acceleration, just a gradual movement. Brakes pushed hard.
Naishsr, did you lose power brake assist?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive28i 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by master2301 View Post
I wonder if it was possible for the recall for 2012-14 BMW X3 Models with 28i engine for loss of brake power to also be associated with the 35i engine as well?T

The Problem:
The oil supply from the intake camshaft to the brake vacuum pump can become restricted. If this happens the brake vacuum pump could fail due to lack of lubrication, resulting in a loss of power brake assist.

The hydraulic brakes will still function to stop the vehicle but without power assist. Without assist the driver will need to apply much greater pedal pressure to stop the vehicle. The distance required to stop the vehicle will increase as most drivers will not be able to apply enough brake pedal pressure.
I would think this is the cause. Just get the car to the dealer and let them check this particular issue.

Premium + Nav Pack | Bluetooth Audio Streaming | Video in Motion | Auto Mirror Fold/Unfold | Auto Door Unlock | Flashing Emergency Brake Light | Close Trunk w/ Button & Key Fob | Digital Speedometer | 30L/100km Fuel Meter | Gear Indicator in DS mode | M Starting Screen