Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 12-14-2013, 11:00 AM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is offline
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,355
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
I highly doubt there is anything special about BMW anti-freeze.
Oh my, don't say that. We have had heated debates in the past about this. Some pretty smart folks who know BMW will say it is in fact very special.

I used to not worry about it, but I must admit, since moving to BMW blue only, I have seen less failures of cooling system parts.

Green in a pinch, blue for everything else.

I dare say distilled water and a can of redline water wetter is better than the green stuff.
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-14-2013, 01:25 PM
SJBimmer's Avatar
SJBimmer SJBimmer is offline
Living Life At The Beach
Location: In This Place
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Re: Antifreeze....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Oh my, don't say that. We have had heated debates in the past about this. Some pretty smart folks who know BMW will say it is in fact very special.

I used to not worry about it, but I must admit, since moving to BMW blue only, I have seen less failures of cooling system parts.

Green in a pinch, blue for everything else.

I dare say distilled water and a can of redline water wetter is better than the green stuff.
You finally came around huh? Lol I too am now a believer in using only manufacturer specific fluids. I used to only use the green in all my cars, and always had rads failing early, ect. Since doing regular changes with the correct stuff, I have had almost none of that.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-15-2013, 04:18 AM
QAfred QAfred is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Panhandle of Florida
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 919
Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Oh my, don't say that. We have had heated debates in the past about this. Some pretty smart folks who know BMW will say it is in fact very special.

I used to not worry about it, but I must admit, since moving to BMW blue only, I have seen less failures of cooling system parts.

Green in a pinch, blue for everything else.

I dare say distilled water and a can of redline water wetter is better than the green stuff.
I totally agree, and now use BMW antifreeze and have less problems...many of the OEM parts you order will even state warranty does not apply if you do not use BMW antifreeze! I was not a believer either, but now I use the blue hsit (OEM fluid) and have less problems, much less. I dunno why?

Last edited by QAfred; 12-15-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-16-2013, 01:52 PM
chet31 chet31 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Madison WI
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 416
Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
I too use BMW coolant, so I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here. However, as a chemist, I am simply skeptical that BMW invests the R&D that would be required to re-invent something as ubiquitous as coolant.

Also, if using a certain coolant results in fewer cooling system failures, is that not an indictment of BMW coolant? What coolant were we all using the first time we had a cooling system failure?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 PM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is offline
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,355
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
I too use BMW coolant, so I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here. However, as a chemist, I am simply skeptical that BMW invests the R&D that would be required to re-invent something as ubiquitous as coolant.

Also, if using a certain coolant results in fewer cooling system failures, is that not an indictment of BMW coolant? What coolant were we all using the first time we had a cooling system failure?
I used to have a lot of Tstat issues with the green stuff (prestone IIRC). Since running my ZHP I have always used the BMW stuff. My OE radiator is still going at 203k miles. I do flush the system annually because it is so frigging hot down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
You finally came around huh? Lol I too am now a believer in using only manufacturer specific fluids.
I finally came around as it relates to coolant. I still could give a rip what BMW says about oil. Partly because they list it for NEW BMW engines. I would argue that the oil requirements of my 203k mile motor are different than a 60k mile motor.
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-16-2013, 03:43 PM
SJBimmer's Avatar
SJBimmer SJBimmer is offline
Living Life At The Beach
Location: In This Place
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I used to have a lot of Tstat issues with the green stuff (prestone IIRC). Since running my ZHP I have always used the BMW stuff. My OE radiator is still going at 203k miles. I do flush the system annually because it is so frigging hot down here.



I finally came around as it relates to coolant. I still could give a rip what BMW says about oil. Partly because they list it for NEW BMW engines. I would argue that the oil requirements of my 203k mile motor are different than a 60k mile motor.
I agree that oil is not as critical since it is (supposed to be) changed more often.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 PM
chansta chansta is offline
Learning Daily
Location: SOCAL
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 269
Mein Auto: 89 CIVIC
i recently got a 325i and the lower hose blew off on me on my way to the detail shop. found green coolant all over the place so went ahead n fixed it n put blue.
__________________
iATN
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Tebpac Tebpac is offline
Registered User
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
Update....

Had the local dealer read the codes this AM. Oil Separator leak! Had it fixed today. After reading some of the supposed daunting but doable task to DIY this problem, I decided to wait for a psuedo easier DIY project to start with. I know, I'm a wuss. Antifreeze level is still ok. Thanks for all the input (and future input).
__________________
Todd
2005 BMW 325xi
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms