Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-19-2013, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: e46 320i M package
Audio solution for 2001 BMW Minidisc player

Hi, BMW drivers. I'm new here and i hope you'll help me

i've 2001 e46 320i with BMW BUSINESS MD PLAYER (MiniDisc player) and i need a solution like AUX IN port. But as i read so far aux port does NOT work on 2001 models (because of firmware, even though it has "mode" button and AUX pins).

Any solutions UNDER 50$ would be great except thesee ones that i can't try:
1. I can't play minidisc cause i don't have one, even i had i could not burn music on it cause i need a minidisc drive on my pc.
2. I can't use "audio in" of cd changer cable cause i don't have "BMW 6 disc cd changer" in the trunk (i only have pre wiring for it).
3. I don't wanna use FM transmitters (because of horrible sound quality).

Last edited by freestyle31225; 12-20-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-18-2013, 03:05 PM

****in bumb
Old 12-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle31225 View Post
Hi, BMW drivers. I'm new here and i hope you'll help me

i've 2001 e46 320i with BMW BUSINESS MD PLAYER (MiniDisc player) and i need a solution like AUX IN port. But as i read so far aux port does NOT work on 2001 models (because of firmware, even though it has "mode" button and AUX pins).

Any solutions UNDER 50$ would be great except thesee ones that i can't try:
1. I can't play minidisc cause i don't have one, even i had i could not burn music on it cause i need a minidisc drive on my pc.
2. I can't use "audio in" of cd changer cable cause i don't have "BMW 6 disc cd changer" in the trunk (i only have pre wiring for it).
3. I don't wanna use FM transmitters (because of horrible sound quality).
If you have pre-wire for the CD changer I believe you are good to go. I also believe that if you have the CD changer, you have to remove it to be able to use it as audio in. You may want to post this in the audio forum, as I am about 90% certain of this.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
If you have pre-wire for the CD changer I believe you are good to go. I also believe that if you have the CD changer, you have to remove it to be able to use it as audio in. You may want to post this in the audio forum, as I am about 90% certain of this.
Agree. I'm pretty sure you just find the "pre" wire/plug for the cd changer in the trunk and then figure out what kind of adapter you need or where to patch wires from your source cable.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 12-20-2013, 03:17 PM

It just does not work that way. If there is no cd changer in the trunk connected then no option to switch to trunk cd cable on radio.
Also options like Grom or Dension are expensive, i need solution under 50$
Old 12-21-2013, 04:31 AM

Yeah I think ur right. Search on fanatics yielded a thread with eBay link for cheap adapter. For 45 bux.

I still bet you could hack the wires and fool it into thinking a changer is plugged in - thats what the adapter does in addition to the RCA inputs. Would need the pin map of the connector or a lot of trial n error.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=990679

Last edited by ahull; 12-21-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:35 AM

if i could find a tutorial on the internet i would do that hack but i don't know how to trick the headunit to think that cd changer is connected in the trunk.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:00 AM

I'm wondering if its as simple as putting signal over the input pins.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 323i
Audio solution for 2001 BMW Minidisc player

The CD changer needs to respond to message send to it over the K-bus wire. If the changer doesn't respond it is assumed that it's not there. A microcontroller is needed to listen to the messages going across the bus and pick out the correct messages that are meant for the CD changer. It must then properly format a response message and send it out when the bus is available and automatically stop and hold off if it happens to start transmitting at the same time as another module on the bus. It is not as simple as connecting a couple of wires together or sending a signal over the audio signal wires, but, at the same time it's not too difficult. I've done it with a small PIC microcontroller and wrote the code in assembly language.

Last edited by scottjoh; 12-22-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525d M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
..... and wrote the code in assembly language.
What is the code in assembly language? I'm asking for e39 2001 november, with DSP and CD changer in the trunk. Can I just add aux option with NCS Expert and to have aux?? I tried to connect aux cable behind my MD player unit, but no success. Thanks

Last edited by tazzboy; 02-04-2014 at 08:22 AM.