Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW R1150R
Need help deciding between models (2011)

Ok, so I currently have a 2011 328xi sedan with nav, heated seats and leather. It's lease is up and I'm looking at CPO 2011 sport wagon, 335d, or a 335xi. I always wanted the wagon but I wish it had either twin power engine

Stealerships are charging as much for a mid loaded sport wagon as they are for the 335 models.

328 xi sport wagon - heated leather and nav
335d - heated leather, nav
335xi - nav, heated leather, sport pkg with paddles, Harmon kardon

So, all 3 are around $33k with CPO. Miles are similar with the two sedans (22k) with the wagon having 34k.

in the long run, which powertrain will prove most reliable AND fun. I WANT that diesel but I also want that wagon.

Oh, and I WOULD LOVE a sport pkg.

Somebody help me before I lose my marbles.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
oops

oops

Last edited by ctuna; 12-17-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto: 335 d
I have a 09 335d, the more I drive it the more I love it. I avg 29.6 mpg, mixed driving. And I am what some might refer to as a heavy footed driver.

While this is my 'first' bmw, I have driven many over the years. This is by far the most fun to drive while also destroying eco box cars mpg.

My father has an 06 M5, and he likes to borrow my car for long trips (which of course I have no issue with )
Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybooj View Post
Ok, so I currently have a 2011 328xi sedan with nav, heated seats and leather. It's lease is up and I'm looking at CPO 2011 sport wagon, 335d, or a 335xi. I always wanted the wagon but I wish it had either twin power engine

Stealerships are charging as much for a mid loaded sport wagon as they are for the 335 models.

335d - heated leather, nav
335xi - nav, heated leather, sport pkg with paddles, Harmon kardon

So, all 3 are around $33k with CPO. Miles are similar with the two sedans (22k) with the wagon having 34k.

in the long run, which powertrain will prove most reliable AND fun. I WANT that diesel but I also want that wagon.

Oh, and I WOULD LOVE a sport pkg.

Somebody help me before I lose my marbles.

Thanks!

Immediately and without delay, seek therapy.

You can't make a decision?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92
I would choose the RWD 6MT gas engine version.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
You should make a list in order of importance as to what you want in your vehicle. Whichever vehicle meets the criteria from the top of the list is the one you should buy. Failing that flip a three sided coin.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 AM

Lol. Yes, the wagon was only a 328 in the us.

My challenge is that my optimal car is not here. A sortwagon with a diesel and sport pkg.

That being said, each example highlights my 3 top wants.

Is the diesel that good to drop my wagon preference?

Is the sport suspension that good to drop my diesel and wagon preference?

And no, I cant make a decision. Lol. We each have crosses to bear.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive
Quote:
Lol. Yes, the wagon was only a 328 in the us.

My challenge is that my optimal car is not here. A sortwagon with a diesel and sport pkg.

That being said, each example highlights my 3 top wants.

Is the diesel that good to drop my wagon preference?

Is the sport suspension that good to drop my diesel and wagon preference?

And no, I cant make a decision. Lol. We each have crosses to bear.
FYI: You do NOT get the sport suspension with the sport package on XI models!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon5585 View Post
FYI: You do NOT get the sport suspension with the sport package on XI models!
Thank you!!!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 e90 335xi
i vote for 335xi the new n55 engine is awsome. and the xi works really good in snow.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:20 PM

I hve an xi now....and I do like it in inclememt weather. I was thinking of tracking the next car...perhaps a rwd is the way to go for the fun factor
Old 12-19-2013, 04:26 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:

Yes, the wagon is priced higher than the sedan.

IIRC, my E91 328iT cost me well into 335i territory when I purchased it new. No doubt this relationship also holds for 328i E93s. The 'verts cost more when they were new and should still be priced higher used.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 12-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Oil Burner

Mein Auto: 335D
I vote for the 335D. We have a 2011 model. The tourque output is amazing - makes the car a total hoot to drive. I believe it is probably the closest any car has ever come to the complete package: Power, fuel economy and practical every day drive-ability all in one. Some 335D reviews coming out when it hit the showroom floors raved about it possibly being the best all-around passenger car on the road anywhere - bar none.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
Yes, the wagon is priced higher than the sedan.

IIRC, my E91 328iT cost me well into 335i territory when I purchased it new. No doubt this relationship also holds for 328i E93s. The 'verts cost more when they were new and should still be priced higher used.
I was actually referring to the used prices. Did you know that the new wagon price id less than $1k more than the sedan? Theyre very close.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
I vote for the 335D. We have a 2011 model. The tourque output is amazing - makes the car a total hoot to drive. I believe it is probably the closest any car has ever come to the complete package: Power, fuel economy and practical every day drive-ability all in one. Some 335D reviews coming out when it hit the showroom floors raved about it possibly being the best all-around passenger car on the road anywhere - bar none.
Nadir,

I test drove a 2011 with 19k on it and found the power delayed from when I mashed the pedal. Also the tranny was slow to respond and eager to upshift. Is that just how it drives?
Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Oil Burner

The perceived slow throttle response is ECU torque management. The computer is programmed to limit fuel at slow speed in lower gears because the amount of torque available would simply break things in the hands of an inexperienced driver. Stability control and traction control are also designed to help in this area, but can be turned off.

Try putting the trans in sport mode next time if you want to rev it up through the gears.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
The perceived slow throttle response is ECU torque management. The computer is programmed to limit fuel at slow speed in lower gears because the amount of torque available would simply break things in the hands of an inexperienced driver. Stability control and traction control are also designed to help in this area, but can be turned off.

Try putting the trans in sport mode next time if you want to rev it up through the gears.
Nadir,

Funny, but that slow response was IN sport mode. My 328xi responds slow, but faster than this diesel did. But when the diesel kicked in, it moved like a train. I wonder if the car needs a flash and reset the 'learned' behavior???
Old 12-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Oil Burner

Quote:
Funny, but that slow response was IN sport mode.
ECU torque management and transmission sport settings are two different things.

Throttle response is low end limited for very good reason. It is also a reason they do not come with limited slip differentials. The car cannot be allowed to jump off the throttle from a dead stop like a gasser. Full fuel in that scenario would strip axle splines and break gear teeth on a regular basis, even with an open differential, depending on traction conditions.

Maybe you should just just skip the diesel, since it does not seem to fit your driving style or expectations.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
ECU torque management and transmission sport settings are two different things.

Throttle response is low end limited for very good reason. It is also a reason they do not come with limited slip differentials. The car cannot be allowed to jump off the throttle from a dead stop like a gasser. Full fuel in that scenario would strip axle splines and break gear teeth on a regular basis, even with an open differential, depending on traction conditions.

Maybe you should just just skip the diesel, since it does not seem to fit your driving style or expectations.
Interesting. I know about its great torque numbers, but didn't realize that the drivetrain couldn't handle full power. Perhaps that's why they dropped the 6-diesel in favor of its junior, the i4?

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Oil Burner

It's not a matter o "handling" it - it's a matter of "managing" it.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: 335 d
There is a definite learning curve on the driving style. When I first got mine I was a bit bummed that it did not respond if you just mash down the skinny pedal. But with a bit of seat time you can make her still get up and go just fine. You just need to find the sweet acceleration point.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
There is a definite learning curve on the driving style. When I first got mine I was a bit bummed that it did not respond if you just mash down the skinny pedal. But with a bit of seat time you can make her still get up and go just fine. You just need to find the sweet acceleration point.
I noticed that. But I already dont like the delay on my 328 but the diesel is way worse! *How is that type of accelrator response acceptable, diesel or not?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Oil Burner

Quote:
How is that type of accelrator response acceptable, diesel or not?
Faster 60-to-100 than an M3, maybe?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi Coupe
335xi... but I might be biased.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
Quote:
I noticed that. But I already dont like the delay on my 328 but the diesel is way worse! *How is that type of accelrator response acceptable, diesel or not?
I had a X5D and hated the slow accelerator response in DS mode (worse than 328i as you noticed) . Not sure 335D behaves similarly as X5D, but I don't think you will be happy with 335D just for the slow response. And it is NOT trivial finding gas stations with diesel pumps. There is usually one or two in the entire gas station (if you can find one when you need) and I sometime had to wait for big trucks to fill up.

Check engine/exhaust sound of D as well. Might be another turn off for you.

I now have a 335i and love the throttle response and engine braking. No diesel for me for a while.

Last edited by 53K; 01-03-2014 at 12:44 PM.